How Does Information Spread on Social Media Lead to Effective Change?
12 September 2017 (online)
Social media encompasses computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks. The key, of course, is the ability and willingness for information to be shared. But why does some information spread on social media and not others? What factors translate social media awareness to action? In this article, we explore these themes using case studies, as well as tips on how you can utilize social media to effectively champion a cause.
- 1 Massachusetts Foundation for the Humanities - Mass Moments. Brownies take a winter swim. January 1, 1904. Available at: http://massmoments.org/moment.cfm?mid=6 . Accessed April 20, 2017
- 2 Levin J. Who Invented the Ice Bucket Challenge? Slate August 22, 2014. Available at: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/08/who_invented_the_ice_bucket_challenge_a_slate_investigation.single.html . Accessed April 20, 2017
- 3 Steel E. ‘Ice Bucket Challenge’ has raised millions for ALS Association. New York Times August 17, 2014. Available at: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/business/ice-bucket-challenge-has-raised-millions-for-als-association.html?_r=2 . Accessed April 20, 2017
- 4 Stahl S. Health: local ALS researchers take ice bucket challenge. CBS Philly. Available at: http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/08/12/health-local-als-researchers-take-ice-bucket-challenge/ . Accessed April 20, 2017
- 5 Fawzy F. Ice Bucket Challenge's 2nd Anniversary celebrates its gene discovery. CNN July 27, 2016. Available at: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/27/health/als-ice-bucket-challenge-funds-breakthrough/index.html . Accessed April 20, 2017
- 6 Godin S. Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us. London: Penguin Books; 2008: 1-2
- 7 van der Linden S. The Nature of Viral Altruism and How to Make it Stick. Nature Human Behaviour. 2017 . Available at: http://www.nature.com/articles/s41562-016-0041 . Accessed April 20, 2017
- 8 McGlynn EA, Asch SM, Adams J. , et al. The quality of health care delivered to adults in the United States. N Engl J Med 2003; 348 (26) 2635-2645
- 9 Cabana MD, Rand CS, Powe NR. , et al. Why don't physicians follow clinical practice guidelines? A framework for improvement. JAMA 1999; 282 (15) 1458-1465
- 10 Thornblade LW, Varghese Jr TK, Shi X. , et al. Preoperative immunonutriton and elective colorectal resection outcomes. Dis Colon Rectum 2017; 60 (01) 68-75