Arthroscopic Synovectomy Combined with Autologous Fat Grafting in Early Stages of CMC Osteoarthritis of the Thumb
17 February 2017
25 May 2017
20 July 2017 (eFirst)
Background Minimal invasive treatments such as arthroscopic techniques may be adequate to restore the anatomy and functional integrity of the thumb CMC (carpometacarpal) joint. In this paper, we reported the interposition of autologous fat tissue in combination with arthroscopic synovectomy/debridement for early stage of the thumb CMC joint osteoarthritis.
Patients and Methods Twelve patients with a mean age of 46 years with early radiological stages of thumb CMC joint osteoarthritis were included. Evaluation of outcome was measured prior and 3, 12, and 24 months after surgery including, Visual Analog Scale (VAS), QuickDASH, grip and pinch strength, range of motion (ROM), and patient satisfaction.
Results Pain at rest (or with load) was reduced from preoperative 4,7 (8,7) to 2 (5,9) at 3 to 6 months; 1,4 (4,3) at 12 months; and 0,75 (2,7) at 2 years after the surgery. Initial preoperative QuickDASH value of 52 points reduced to 33 (17–65) at 6 months, 23 (2–70) at 12 months, and 20 (11–29) at 24 months after the surgery. Grip strength and thumb pinch with respect to the contralateral untreated thumb was reduced in the first 12 months but recovered subsequently. ROM was equal to the contralateral thumb. Three patients suffered from tendinitis and required surgical treatment. One patient indicated prolonged pain symptoms. No infections were noted and no donor-site morbidity or side effects were detected.
Conclusion Arthroscopic synovectomy combined with autologous fat graft is a reliable surgical option for early thumb CMC joint osteoarthritis and that effect continues for more than 24 months.
- 1 Fulton DB, Stern PJ. Trapeziometacarpal arthrodesis in primary osteoarthritis: a minimum two-year follow-up study. J Hand Surg Am 2001; 26 (01) 109-114
- 2 Dehl M, Chelli M, Lippmann S, Benaissa S, Rotari V, Moughabghab M. Results of 115 Rubis II reverse thumb carpometacarpal joint prostheses with a mean follow-up of 10 years. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2017; DOI: 10.1177/1753193416687508.
- 3 Slutsky DJ. The role of arthroscopy in trapeziometacarpal arthritis. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2014; 472 (04) 1173-1183
- 4 Adams JE. Does arthroscopic débridement with or without interposition material address carpometacarpal arthritis?. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2014; 472 (04) 1166-1172
- 5 Pereira A, Ichihara S, Facca S, Hendriks S, Gouzou S, Liverneaux P. Arthroscopic interposition in thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis: a series of 26 cases. Chir Main 2015; 34 (06) 307-311
- 6 Diaconu M, Mathoulin C, Facca S, Liverneaux P. Arthroscopic interposition arthroplasty of the trapeziometacarpal joint. Chir Main 2011; 30 (04) 282-287
- 7 Herold C, Fleischer O, Allert S. Autologous fat injection for treatment of carpometacarpal joint osteoarthritis of the thumb-a promising alternative [article in German]. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 2014; 46 (02) 108-112
- 8 Brittberg M, Winalski CS. Evaluation of cartilage injuries and repair. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2003; 85-A (Suppl. 02) 58-69
- 9 Outerbridge RE. The etiology of chondromalacia patellae. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1961; 43-B: 752-757
- 10 Klein JA. Tumescent technique for local anesthesia improves safety in large-volume liposuction. Plast Reconstr Surg 1993; 92 (06) 1085-1098 ; discussion 1099–1100
- 11 Keck M, Janke J, Ueberreiter K. The influence of different local anaesthetics on the viability of preadipocytes [article in German]. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 2007; 39 (03) 215-219
- 12 Fisher C, Grahovac TL, Schafer ME, Shippert RD, Marra KG, Rubin JP. Comparison of harvest and processing techniques for fat grafting and adipose stem cell isolation. Plast Reconstr Surg 2013; 132 (02) 351-361
- 13 Eaton RG, Glickel SZ. Trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis. Staging as a rationale for treatment. Hand Clin 1987; 3 (04) 455-471
- 14 Melville DM, Taljanovic MS, Scalcione LR. , et al. Imaging and management of thumb carpometacarpal joint osteoarthritis. Skeletal Radiol 2015; 44 (02) 165-177
- 15 Kapandji A. Clinical test of apposition and counter-apposition of the thumb [article in French]. Ann Chir Main 1986; 5 (01) 67-73
- 16 Culp RW, Rekant MS. The role of arthroscopy in evaluating and treating trapeziometacarpal disease. Hand Clin 2001; 17 (02) 315-319 ; x–xi
- 17 Badia A. Trapeziometacarpal arthroscopy: a classification and treatment algorithm. Hand Clin 2006; 22 (02) 153-163
- 18 Moseley JB, O'Malley K, Petersen NJ. , et al. A controlled trial of arthroscopic surgery for osteoarthritis of the knee. N Engl J Med 2002; 347 (02) 81-88
- 19 Kirkley A, Birmingham TB, Litchfield RB. , et al. A randomized trial of arthroscopic surgery for osteoarthritis of the knee. N Engl J Med 2008; 359 (11) 1097-1107
- 20 Furia JP. Arthroscopic debridement and synovectomy for treating basal joint arthritis. Arthroscopy 2010; 26 (01) 34-40
- 21 Bohr S, Rennekampff HO, Pallua N. Cell-enriched lipoaspirate arthroplasty: a novel approach to first carpometacarpal joint arthritis. Hand Surg 2015; 20 (03) 479-481
- 22 Klinefelter R. Metacarpophalangeal hyperextension deformity associated with trapezial-metacarpal arthritis. J Hand Surg Am 2011; 36 (12) 2041-2042 ; quiz 2043
- 23 Moineau G, Richou J, Liot M, Le Nen D. Prognostic factors for the recovery of hand function following trapeziectomy with ligamentoplasty stabilisation. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 2009; 95 (05) 352-358
- 24 Goubau JF, Goubau L, Goorens CK. , et al. De Quervain tenosynovitis following trapeziometacarpal ball-and-socket joint replacement. J Wrist Surg 2015; 4 (01) 35-42
- 25 ter Huurne M, Schelbergen R, Blattes R. , et al. Antiinflammatory and chondroprotective effects of intraarticular injection of adipose-derived stem cells in experimental osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2012; 64 (11) 3604-3613
- 26 Perdisa F, Gostyńska N, Roffi A, Filardo G, Marcacci M, Kon E. Adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of articular cartilage: a systematic review on preclinical and clinical evidence. Stem Cells Int 2015; 2015: 597652 . Doi: 10.1155/2015/597652