Comparative Evaluation of the Embrasure Wire versus Arch Bar Maxillomandibular Fixation in the Management of Mandibular Fractures: Are Arch Bars Replaceable?
15 January 2017
14 March 2017
08 June 2017 (eFirst)
The aim of this prospective study was to appraise the role of embrasure wiring in the treatment of mandibular fractures over the arch bar as adjunctive techniques of maxillomandibular fixation (MMF). This study was conducted on 40 patients who were surgically treated for mandibular fractures with accessory use of MMF (embrasure: group A vs. arch bars: group B). All patients were evaluated for demographic data, etiology, and location of fracture. Characteristically, the complications, including wire injury, infection, and malocclusion, were recorded. The data were analyzed using Student's t-test and chi-square test as appropriate. Statistical significance was set at p < 0.05). In this study, data from 40 patients were included. In group A (embrasure wiring), time required for placement of MMF was significantly less than (7.85 ± 0.81 minutes) that in group B, and also there was less incidence of wire prick to the operator in group A than in group B (p < 0.05). However, in terms of wire prick and malocclusion, no statistically significant difference was noted in groups A and B (p > 0.05). Patient treated with embrasure wiring intermaxillary fixation had better outcomes especially in terms of time of placement and less incidence of wire prick injury when compared with arch bar.
Compared with arch bars, using embrasure wires for intraoperative MMF may decrease operating room time and health care costs while potentially minimizing the risk of disease transmission.
- 1 Williams JL. , ed. Rowe and Williams' Maxillofacial Injuries, 2nd ed., Vol 2. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 1994: 352-353
- 2 Coletti DP, Salama A, Caccamese Jr JF. Application of intermaxillary fixation screws in maxillofacial trauma. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2007; 65 (09) 1746-1750
- 3 Fitton A, Gibbons AJ, Hodder SC. Intermaxillary fixation using drill-free screws. Ann Plast Surg 2003; 50 (01) 104-105
- 4 Bell RB, Wilson DM. Is the use of arch bars or interdental wire fixation necessary for successful outcomes in the open reduction and internal fixation of mandibular angle fractures?. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2008; 66 (10) 2116-2122
- 5 Dimitroulis G. Management of fractured mandibles without the use of intermaxillary wire fixation. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002; 60 (12) 1435-1438 , discussion 1439
- 6 Engelstad ME, Kelly P. Embrasure wires for intraoperative maxillomandibular fixation are rapid and effective. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011; 69 (01) 120-124
- 7 Tracy K, Gutta R. Are embrasure wires better than arch bars for intermaxillary fixation?. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2015; 73 (01) 117-122
- 8 Hollows P, Brennan J. Temporary intermaxillary fixation: a quick reliable method. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1999; 37 (05) 422-423
- 9 Baurmash H, Farr D, Baurmash M. Direct bonding of arch bars in the management of maxillomandibular injuries. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1988; 46 (09) 813-815
- 10 Blair VP, Ivy RH. Essentials of Oral Surgery, 4th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 1951: 171
- 11 Hashitani S, Maeda T, Okui S, Takaoka K, Honda K, Urade M. Allergy to metal caused by materials used for intermaxillary fixation: case report. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2008; 46 (04) 315-316
- 12 West GH, Griggs JA, Chandran R, Precheur HV, Buchanan W, Caloss R. Treatment outcomes with the use of maxillomandibular fixation screws in the management of mandible fractures. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2014; 72 (01) 112-120
- 13 Borah GL, Ashmead D. The fate of teeth transfixed by osteosynthesis screws. Plast Reconstr Surg 1996; 97 (04) 726-729
- 14 Roccia F, Tavolaccini A, Dell'Acqua A, Fasolis M. An audit of mandibular fractures treated by intermaxillary fixation using intraoral cortical bone screws. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2005; 33 (04) 251-254
- 15 Gordon KF, Reed JM, Anand VK. Results of intraoral cortical bone screw fixation technique for mandibular fractures. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1995; 113 (03) 248-252
- 16 Coburn DG, Kennedy DWG, Hodder SC. Complications with intermaxillary fixation screws in the management of fractured mandibles. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2002; 40 (03) 241-243
- 17 Schneider AM, David LR, DeFranzo AJ, Marks MW, Molnar JA, Argenta LC. Use of specialized bone screws for intermaxillary fixation. Ann Plast Surg 2000; 44 (02) 154-157
- 18 Vartanian AJ, Alvi A. Bone-screw mandible fixation: an intraoperative alternative to arch bars. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2000; 123 (06) 718-721