The Effects of Prognostic Factors in Idiopathic Sudden Hearing Loss
09 November 2016
01 April 2017
17 May 2017 (eFirst)
Introduction Sudden hearing loss is one of the otologic emergencies. The treatment of this disease is affected negatively by some prognostic factors.
Objective In this study, the effects of early treatment initiation in patients with idiopathic sudden hearing loss and of prognostic factors in early treated patients were investigated.
Methods Out of the 216 patients admitted between September 2007 and September 2015, 154 were identified as having idiopathic sudden hearing loss; they were followed-up for a mean time of 7.4 months, and evaluated retrospectively. The effects of several parameters on the success of the treatment were statistically evaluated, such as the time the treatment was initiated, being of the female gender, the severity of the hearing loss, having descending type audiogram patterns, being older than 60 years old, and the co-presence of vertigo.
Results Success rates were found to be significantly higher in idiopathic hearing loss patients that were admitted within the first week (p < 0.05) of the onset of the hearing loss. However, the outcomes were found to be similar when patients admitted within the first 3 days and 4–7 days after the occurrence of the hearing loss were compared (p > 0.05). Parameters such as female gender, severe hearing loss, descending type audiogram, being older than 60 years old, and co-presence of vertigo didn't reveal statistically significant effects on the outcome (p >0.05).
Conclusion The aforementioned prognostic factors, which are well-known in the literature, did not have significant effects when the idiopathic sudden hearing loss treatment was initiated within the first 7 days of the onset of the hearing loss.
- 1 Rauch SD. Intratympanic steroids for sensorineural hearing loss. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 2004; 37 (05) 1061-1074
- 2 Kuhn M, Heman-Ackah SE, Shaikh JA, Roehm PC. Sudden sensorineural hearing loss: a review of diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis. Trends Amplif 2011; 15 (03) 91-105
- 3 Baloğlu O, Olgun G, Saraç S. İdiyopatik ani sensörinöral işitme kaybı tedavisi. Hacettepe Tıp Dergisi 2007; 38: 26-32
- 4 Xenellis J, Karapatsas I, Papadimitriou N. , et al. Idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss: prognostic factors. J Laryngol Otol 2006; 120 (09) 718-724
- 5 Byl Jr FM. Sudden hearing loss: eight years' experience and suggested prognostic table. Laryngoscope 1984; 94 (5 Pt 1): 647-661
- 6 Shaia FT, Sheehy JL. Sudden sensori-neural hearing impairment: a report of 1,220 cases. Laryngoscope 1976; 86 (03) 389-398
- 7 Sheehy JL. Vasodilator therapy in sensory-neural hearing loss. Laryngoscope 1960; 70: 885-914
- 8 Chau JK, Lin JR, Atashband S, Irvine RA, Westerberg BD. Systematic review of the evidence for the etiology of adult sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Laryngoscope 2010; 120 (05) 1011-1021
- 9 Mattox DE, Simmons FB. Natural history of sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1977; 86 (4 Pt 1): 463-480
- 10 Tsai HT, Hsueh N, Huang CM, Lin HC. Intratympanic steroid injection as a first-line therapy in uremia patients with sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Acta Otolaryngol 2015; 135 (08) 786-790
- 11 Eftekharian A, Amizadeh M. Pulse steroid therapy in idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Laryngoscope 2016; 126 (01) 150-155
- 12 Chen P, Wang S, Zhang Y, Huang H, Zhang C, Xiao Z. [Intratympanic versus systemic steroid initial treatment for idiopathic sudden hearing loss: a Meta-analysis]. Lin Chung Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 2015; 29 (22) 1970-1977
- 13 Ding XY, Cui TT, Feng GD, Gao ZQ. [Intratympanic versus systemic steroid treatment for idiopathic sudden hearing loss: a meta-analysis]. Zhonghua Er Bi Yan Hou Tou Jing Wai Ke Za Zhi 2013; 48 (05) 412-416
- 14 Arastou S, Tajedini A, Borghei P. Combined intratympanic and systemic steroid therapy for poor-prognosis sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Iran J Otorhinolaryngol 2013; 25 (70) 23-28
- 15 Lloyd SK. Sudden sensorineural hearing loss: early diagnosis improves outcome. Br J Gen Pract 2013; 63 (613) e592-e594
- 16 Lee HS, Lee YJ, Kang BS, Lee BD, Lee JS. A clinical analysis of sudden sensorineural hearing loss cases. Korean J Audiol 2014; 18 (02) 69-75
- 17 Uysal İÖ, Müderris T, Polat K, Yüce S, Gültürk S. Is the time from the onset to the treatment a prognostic indicator for hearing recovery in idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss?. Kulak Burun Bogaz Ihtis Derg 2015; 25 (02) 70-76
- 18 Cho CS, Choi YJ. Prognostic factors in sudden sensorineural hearing loss: a retrospective study using interaction effects. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol (Engl Ed) 2013; 79 (04) 466-470
- 19 Siegel LG. The treatment of idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 1975; 8 (02) 467-473
- 20 Edizer DT, Çelebi Ö, Hamit B, Baki A, Yiğit Ö. Recovery of Idiopathic Sudden Sensorineural Hearing Loss. J Int Adv Otol 2015; 11 (02) 122-126
- 21 Chang NC, Ho KY, Kuo WR. Audiometric patterns and prognosis in sudden sensorineural hearing loss in southern Taiwan. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2005; 133 (06) 916-922
- 22 Harada H, Kato T. Prognosis for sudden sensorineural hearing loss: a retrospective study using logistical regression analysis. Int Tinnitus J 2005; 11 (02) 115-118
- 23 Zadeh MH, Storper IS, Spitzer JB. Diagnosis and treatment of sudden-onset sensorineural hearing loss: a study of 51 patients. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2003; 128 (01) 92-98
- 24 Mamak A, Yilmaz S, Cansiz H, Inci E, Güçlü E, Dereköylü L. A study of prognostic factors in sudden hearing loss. Ear Nose Throat J 2005; 84 (10) 641-644
- 25 Cvorović L, Deric D, Probst R, Hegemann S. Prognostic model for predicting hearing recovery in idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Otol Neurotol 2008; 29 (04) 464-469
- 26 Bogaz EA, Maranhão AS, Inoue DP, Suzuki FA, Penido NdeO. Variables with prognostic value in the onset of idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol (Engl Ed) 2015; 81 (05) 520-526
- 27 Ceylan A, Celenk F, Kemaloğlu YK, Bayazit YA, Göksu N, Ozbilen S. Impact of prognostic factors on recovery from sudden hearing loss. J Laryngol Otol 2007; 121 (11) 1035-1040