Preexisting Carpal and Carpometacarpal Osteoarthritis Has No Impact on Function after Distal Radius Fractures
09 November 2016
05 April 2017
02 May 2017 (eFirst)
Background Functional outcomes of distal radius fractures vary widely regardless of treatment methods.
Purpose This study aims to verify whether preexisting carpal and carpometacarpal (CMC) osteoarthritis (OA) will negatively impact wrist functional outcome in patients with distal radius fractures.
Patients and Methods A retrospective case–control study was done using a prospective trauma database. Patients were matched 1:1 in two groups based on the presence of wrist or carpal arthritis (OA). The groups were matched for sex, follow-up, and treatment type. Patients were followed up for a minimum of 1 year and functional outcomes were assessed using validated scores.
Results A total of 61 patients were included. Mean age was 63 years (range: 20–85) and average follow-up was 26 months. There were 31 patients in the OA+ group and 30 in the OA− group. Forty-one patients were treated surgically and 20 nonoperatively. None of the patients in the OA− developed OA during follow-up. Both groups were comparable for sex, residual deformity, and follow-up. There was no significant difference for the visual analog scale, Short Form-12, Quick Disability Arm Shoulder Hand, and Patient-rated Wrist Evaluation, or for radiographic outcomes.
Conclusion Preexisting OA in the wrist or CMC does not seem to impact outcomes of distal radius fractures, regardless of treatment, age, or sex. Although this is a negative study, the results are important to help counsel patients with distal radius fractures. Further work must be done to identify other potential causes for negative outcomes.
Level of Evidence Level III, prognostic study.
Ethical Review Committee Statement
The ethical committee approval number is CÉR-2011-595.
- 1 Owen RA, Melton III LJ, Johnson KA, Ilstrup DM, Riggs BL. Incidence of Colles' fracture in a North American community. Am J Public Health 1982; 72 (06) 605-607
- 2 Grewal R, MacDermid JC, Pope J, Chesworth BM. Baseline predictors of pain and disability one year following extra-articular distal radius fractures. Hand (NY) 2007; 2 (03) 104-111
- 3 Souer JS, Lozano-Calderon SA, Ring D. Predictors of wrist function and health status after operative treatment of fractures of the distal radius. J Hand Surg Am 2008; 33 (02) 157-163
- 4 Chirpaz-Cerbat JM, Ruatti S, Houillon C, Ionescu S. Dorsally displaced distal radius fractures treated by fixed-angle volar plating: grip and pronosupination strength recovery. A prospective study. Orthop Traumatol Surg Res 2011; 97 (05) 465-470
- 5 Karnezis IA, Panagiotopoulos E, Tyllianakis M, Megas P, Lambiris E. Correlation between radiological parameters and patient-rated wrist dysfunction following fractures of the distal radius. Injury 2005; 36 (12) 1435-1439
- 6 White L, Clavijo J, Gilula LA, Wollstein R. Classification system for isolated arthritis of the scaphotrapeziotrapezoidal joint. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 2010; 44 (02) 112-117
- 7 Sodha S, Ring D, Zurakowski D, Jupiter JB. Prevalence of osteoarthrosis of the trapeziometacarpal joint. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2005; 87 (12) 2614-2618
- 8 Moritomo H, Viegas SF, Nakamura K, Dasilva MF, Patterson RM. The scaphotrapezio-trapezoidal joint. Part 1: an anatomic and radiographic study. J Hand Surg Am 2000; 25 (05) 899-910
- 9 Bhatia A, Pisoh T, Touam C, Oberlin C. Incidence and distribution of scaphotrapezotrapezoidal arthritis in 73 fresh cadaveric wrists. Ann Chir Main Memb Super 1996; 15 (04) 220-225
- 10 Watson HK, Beebe RD, Cruz NI. A centralization procedure for radial clubhand. J Hand Surg Am 1984; 9 (04) 541-547
- 11 Arora R, Gabl M, Gschwentner M, Deml C, Krappinger D, Lutz M. A comparative study of clinical and radiologic outcomes of unstable Colles type distal radius fractures in patients older than 70 years: nonoperative treatment versus volar locking plating. J Orthop Trauma 2009; 23 (04) 237-242
- 12 Wright TW, Horodyski M, Smith DW. Functional outcome of unstable distal radius fractures: ORIF with a volar fixed-angle tine plate versus external fixation. J Hand Surg Am 2005; 30 (02) 289-299
- 13 Cognet JM, Geanah A, Marsal C, Kadoch V, Gouzou S, Simon P. Plate fixation with locking screw for distal fractures of the radius [in French]. Rev Chir Orthop Repar Appar Mot 2006; 92 (07) 663-672
- 14 Lichtman DM, Bindra RR, Boyer MI. , et al. Treatment of distal radius fractures. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2010; 18 (03) 180-189
- 15 Voche P, Dubert T, Laffargue C, Gosp-Server A. Patient-rated wrist questionnaire: preliminary report on a proposed French version of a North American questionnaire designed to assess wrist pain and function [in French]. Rev Chir Orthop Repar Appar Mot 2003; 89 (05) 443-448
- 16 Chug M, Williams N, Benn D, Brindley S. Outcome of uncemented trapeziometacarpal prosthesis for treatment of thumb carpometacarpal joint arthritis. Indian J Orthop 2014; 48 (04) 394-398
- 17 Gummesson C, Ward MM, Atroshi I. The shortened disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand questionnaire (QuickDASH): validity and reliability based on responses within the full-length DASH. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2006; 7: 44 . Doi: 10.1186/1471-2474-7-44
- 18 Price DD, McGrath PA, Rafii A, Buckingham B. The validation of visual analogue scales as ratio scale measures for chronic and experimental pain. Pain 1983; 17 (01) 45-56
- 19 MacDermid JC, Richards RS, Donner A, Bellamy N, Roth JH. Responsiveness of the Short Form-36, disability of the arm, shoulder, and hand questionnaire, patient-rated wrist evaluation, and physical impairment measurements in evaluating recovery after a distal radius fracture. J Hand Surg Am 2000; 25 (02) 330-340
- 20 Eaton RG, Glickel SZ. Trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis. Staging as a rationale for treatment. Hand Clin 1987; 3 (04) 455-471
- 21 Melone Jr CP. Distal radius fractures: patterns of articular fragmentation. Orthop Clin North Am 1993; 24 (02) 239-253
- 22 Mackenney PJ, McQueen MM, Elton R. Prediction of instability in distal radial fractures. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2006; 88 (09) 1944-1951
- 23 Arora R, Lutz M, Deml C, Krappinger D, Haug L, Gabl M. A prospective randomized trial comparing nonoperative treatment with volar locking plate fixation for displaced and unstable distal radial fractures in patients sixty-five years of age and older. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2011; 93 (23) 2146-2153
- 24 Changulani M, Okonkwo U, Keswani T, Kalairajah Y. Outcome evaluation measures for wrist and hand: which one to choose?. Int Orthop 2008; 32 (01) 1-6
- 25 Slutsky DJ. Predicting the outcome of distal radius fractures. Hand Clin 2005; 21 (03) 289-294