Adenotonsillar Hypertrophy in Pre-School Children with Sickle Cell Disease and Diagnostic Accuracy of the Sleep Disturbance Scale for Children
12 November 2016
18 March 2017
02 May 2017 (eFirst)
Introduction Adenotonsillar hypertrophy is more common in children with sickle cell disease, and can lead to sleep-disordered breathing.
Objectives To determine the frequency of adenotonsillar hypertrophy in pre-school children with sickle cell disease and assess the diagnostic accuracy of the sleep-disordered breathing subscale in the Sleep Disturbance Scale for Children.
Method Observational study with a group of 48 children with sickle cell disease and a control group of 35 children without the disease. The children underwent oropharingoscopy and video nasal endoscopy. The parents and/or guardians answered the questions of the subscale.
Results Adenotonsillar hypertrophy was observed in 25% of the children in the study group, and in 20% of the children in the control group, with no statistical difference between the groups. The subscale score ranged from 3 to 11 in both groups. There was a statistical significance in the study group. The average was 4.79 (standard deviation [SD] ± 2.50), with 4.19 (SD ± 1.72) among the children without adenotonsillar hypertrophy, and 6.5 (SD ± 3.40) among the children with adenotonsillar hypertrophy. There was also a statistical significance in the control group. The average was 5.23 (SD ± 2.81), with 4.44 (SD ± 2.2) among the children without adenotonsillar hypertrophy, and 7.87 (SD ± 2.89) among the children with adenotonsillar hypertrophy.
Conclusion Adenotonsillar hypertrophy was not associated with sickle cell disease in pre-school children. The subscale of sleep-disordered breathing in the Sleep Disturbance Scale for Children was a useful tool for the diagnostic suspicion of adenotonsillar hypertrophy in children in this age group.
- 1 Okoli K, Irani F, Horvath W. Pathophysiologic considerations for the interactions between obstructive sleep apnea and sickle hemoglobinopathies. Med Hypotheses 2009; 72 (05) 578-580
- 2 Franceschi L. Pathophisiology of sickle cell disease and new drugs for the treatment. Medit J Hemat Infect Dis. 2009. Open Journal System
- 3 Serjeant GR, Serjeant BE. Sickle cell disease. Oxford UK: Oxford University Press; 2001
- 4 Potsic WP. Assessment and treatment of adenotonsillar hypertrophy in children. Am J Otolaryngol 1992; 13 (05) 259-264
- 5 Yaseen ET, Khammas AH, Anbaky FA. Adenoid enlargement assessment by plain X- ray and nasoendoscopy. Iraqui J Comm Med. 2012; 1: 88-91
- 6 Strauss T, Sin S, Marcus CL. , et al. Upper airway lymphoid tissue size in children with sickle cell disease. Chest 2012; 142 (01) 94-100
- 7 Warrier R, Chauhan A, Athale U. Tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy for obstructive sleep apnea in sickle cell anemia. Indian J Pediatr 2010; 77 (06) 669-672
- 8 Ferreira VR, Carvalho LBC, Ruotolo F, de Morais JF, Prado LBF, Prado GF. Sleep disturbance scale for children: translation, cultural adaptation, and validation. Sleep Med 2009; 10 (04) 457-463
- 9 Brodsky L. Modern assessment of tonsils and adenoids. Pediatr Clin North Am 1989; 36 (06) 1551-1569
- 10 Valera FCP, Avelino MAG, Pettermann MB. , et al. OSAS in children: correlation between endoscopic and polysomnographic findings. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2005; 132 (02) 268-272
- 11 Salles C, Ramos RTT, Daltro C, Nascimento VM, Matos MA. Association between adenotonsillar hypertrophy, tonsillitis and painful crises in sickle cell disease. J Pediatr (Rio J) 2009; 85 (03) 249-253
- 12 Felix AA, Souza HM, Ribeiro SBF. Aspectos epidemiológicos e sociais da anemia falciforme. Rev Bras Hematol Hemoter 2010; 32 (3): 203-208
- 13 Platt OS, Brambilla DJ, Rosse WF. , et al. Mortality in sickle cell disease. Life expectancy and risk factors for early death. N Engl J Med 1994; 330 (23) 1639-1644
- 14 Tagaya M, Nakata S, Yasuma F. , et al. Relationship between adenoid size and severity of obstructive sleep apnea in preschool children. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 76 (12) 1827-1830
- 15 Pac A, Karadag A, Kurtaran H, Aktas D. Comparison of cardiac function and valvular damage in children with and without adenotonsillar hypertrophy. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2005; 69 (04) 527-532
- 16 Kara CO, Ergin H, Koçak G, Kiliç I, Yurdakul M. Prevalence of tonsillar hypertrophy and associated oropharyngeal symptoms in primary school children in Denizli, Turkey. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2002; 66 (02) 175-179
- 17 Abreu RR, Rocha RL, Lamounier JA, Guerra AF. Etiology, clinical manifestations and concurrent findings in mouth-breathing children. J Pediatr (Rio J) 2008; 84 (06) 529-535
- 18 Salles C, Ramos RTT, Matos MA. Apneia obstrutiva do sono em portadores de anemia falciforme. Rev Bras Hematol Hemoter 2010; 32 (01) 70-75
- 19 Aubertin G. Le syndrome d'apnées obstructives du sommeil chez l'enfant. Rev Pneumol Clin 2013; 69 (04) 229-236
- 20 Piteo AM, Lushington K, Roberts RM. , et al. Prevalence of snoring and associated factors in infancy. Sleep Med 2011; 12 (08) 787-792
- 21 Miranda GN. Trastornos respiratorios del sueño en la edad pediátrica. Rev Med Clin Las Condes 2013; 24: 403-411
- 22 Salles C, Bispo M, Trindade-Ramos RT. Association between morphometric variables and nocturnal desaturation in sickle-cell anemia. J Pediatr (Rio J) 2014; 90 (04) 420-425
- 23 Cho D-Y, Sinha SR, Gardner JM. , et al. Effect of intratonsillar injection of steroids on the palatine tonsils of rabbits. Laryngoscope 2014; 124 (12) 2811-2817
- 24 Demain JG, Goetz DW. Pediatric adenoidal hypertrophy and nasal airway obstruction: reduction with aqueous nasal beclomethasone. Pediatrics 1995; 95 (03) 355-364
- 25 Al-Ghamdi SA, Manoukian JJ, Morielli A, Oudjhane K, Ducharme FM, Brouillette RT. Do systemic corticosteroids effectively treat obstructive sleep apnea secondary to adenotonsillar hypertrophy?. Laryngoscope 1997; 107 (10) 1382-1387
- 26 Samuels MP, Stebbens VA, Davies SC, Picton-Jones E, Southall DP. Sleep related upper airway obstruction and hypoxaemia in sickle cell disease. Arch Dis Child 1992; 67 (07) 925-929
- 27 D'Ávila JS, Naves AB, Chagas L. , et al. Adenoidectomia: novos princípios. Estudo interdisciplinar. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol 1999; 65: 511-516
- 28 Bruni O, Ottaviano S, Guidetti V. , et al. The Sleep Disturbance Scale for Children (SDSC). Construction and validation of an instrument to evaluate sleep disturbances in childhood and adolescence. J Sleep Res 1996; 5 (04) 251-261
- 29 Simola P, Niskakangas M, Liukkonen K. , et al. Sleep problems and daytime tiredness in Finnish preschool-aged children-a community survey. Child Care Health Dev 2010; 36 (06) 805-811
- 30 Romeo DM, Bruni O, Brogna C. , et al. Application of the sleep disturbance scale for children (SDSC) in preschool age. Eur J Paediatr Neurol 2013; 17 (04) 374-382