Comparing Plastic Surgery and Otolaryngology Management in Cleft Care: An Analysis of 4,999 Cases
20 September 2016
20 November 2016
03 April 2017 (eFirst)
Care for patients with cleft lip and palate is best managed by a craniofacial team consisting of a variety of specialists, including surgeons, who are generally plastic surgeons or otolaryngologists trained in the United States. The goal of this study was to compare the surgical approaches and management algorithms of cleft lip, cleft palate, and nasal reconstruction between plastic surgeons and otolaryngologists.
We performed a retrospective analysis of the American College of Surgeons' National Surgical Quality Improvement Program Pediatric database between 2012 and 2014 to identify patients undergoing primary repair of cleft lip, cleft palate, and associated rhinoplasty. Two cohorts based on primary specialty, plastic surgeons and otolaryngologists, were compared in relation to patient characteristics, 30-day postoperative outcomes, procedure type, and intraoperative variables.
Plastic surgeons performed the majority of surgical repairs, with 85.5% (n = 1,472) of cleft lip, 79.3% (n = 2,179) of cleft palate, and 87.9% (n = 465) of rhinoplasty procedures. There was no difference in the age of primary cleft lip repair or rhinoplasty. However, plastic surgeons performed primary cleft palate repair earlier than otolaryngologists (p = 0.03). Procedure type varied between the specialties. In rhinoplasty, otolaryngologists were more likely to use septal or ear cartilage, whereas plastic surgeons preferred rib cartilage. Results were similar, with no statistically significant difference in terms of mortality, reoperation, readmission, or complications.
Significant variation exists in the treatment of cleft lip and palate based on specialty service with regard to procedure timing and type. However, short-term rates of mortality, wound occurrence, reoperation, readmission, and surgical or medical complications remain similar.
- 1 Shi M, Wehby GL, Murray JC. Review on genetic variants and maternal smoking in the etiology of oral clefts and other birth defects. Birth Defects Res C Embryo Today 2008; 84 (01) 16-29
- 2 Mai CT, Cassell CH, Meyer RE. , et al; National Birth Defects Prevention Network. Birth defects data from population-based birth defects surveillance programs in the United States, 2007 to 2011: highlighting orofacial clefts. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 2014; 100 (11) 895-904
- 3 Shkoukani MA, Chen M, Vong A. Cleft lip - a comprehensive review. Front Pediatr 2013; 1: 53
- 4 Laberge LC. Unilateral cleft lip and palate: simultaneous early repair of the nose, anterior palate and lip. Can J Plast Surg 2007; 15 (01) 13-18
- 5 Strauss RP. ; The American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association (ACPA) Team Standards Committee. Cleft palate and craniofacial teams in the United States and Canada: a national survey of team organization and standards of care. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 1998; 35 (06) 473-480
- 6 Nahai FR, Williams JK, Burstein FD, Martin J, Thomas J. The management of cleft lip and palate: pathways for treatment and longitudinal assessment. Semin Plast Surg 2005; 19 (04) 275-285
- 7 de Boutray M, Beziat JL, Yachouh J, Bigorre M, Gleizal A, Captier G. Median cleft of the upper lip: a new classification to guide treatment decisions. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2016; 44 (06) 664-671
- 8 Hiradfar M, Bakhshaee M. Staged new technique to repair wide cleft lip and palate. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2010; 143 (02) (Suppl. 02) 153
- 9 American College of Surgeons. User Guide for the 2014 ACS NSQIP Pediatric. 2015 https://www.facs.org/∼/media/files/quality programs/nsqip/peds_acs_nsqip_puf_userguide_2014.ashx . Accessed August 25, 2016
- 10 Wehby GL, Cassell CH. The impact of orofacial clefts on quality of life and healthcare use and costs. Oral Dis 2010; 16 (01) 3-10
- 11 American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association. Parameters for evaluation and treatment of patients with cleft lip/palate or other craniofacial anomalies. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 1993; 30 (Suppl): S1-S16
- 12 Shetye PR. Facial growth of adults with unoperated clefts. Clin Plast Surg 2004; 31 (02) 361-371
- 13 Lohmander-Agerskov A. Speech outcome after cleft palate surgery with the Göteborg regimen including delayed hard palate closure. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 1998; 32 (01) 63-80
- 14 Vlastos IM, Koudoumnakis E, Houlakis M, Nasika M, Griva M, Stylogianni E. Cleft lip and palate treatment of 530 children over a decade in a single centre. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2009; 73 (07) 993-997
- 15 Guyuron B. MOC-PS(SM) CME article: late cleft lip nasal deformity. Plast Reconstr Surg 2008; 121 (4, Suppl): 1-11
- 16 Bower H. Unpalatable results force cleft surgeons to rethink. BMJ 1998; 316 (7133): 723
- 17 Smyth AG. Report on cleft lip and palate surgery. Surgeon's specialty is less important than training and experience. BMJ 1998; 316 (7142): 1462
- 18 Davies G. Report on cleft lip and palate surgery. Reaction from health professionals has been muted. BMJ 1998; 316 (7142): 1462-1463
- 19 Williams A, Sandy J. Report on cleft lip and palate surgery. Disagreement between specialties was not impetus for study. BMJ 1998; 316 (7142): 1462
- 20 van Aalst JA, Kolappa KK, Sadove M. MOC-PSSM CME article: nonsyndromic cleft palate. Plast Reconstr Surg 2008; 121 (1, Suppl): 1-14
- 21 Paine KM, Tahiri Y, Wes AM. , et al. An assessment of 30-day complications in primary cleft lip repair: a review of the 2012 ACS NSQIP Pediatric. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2016; 53 (03) 283-289
- 22 Nguyen C, Hernandez-Boussard T, Davies SM, Bhattacharya J, Khosla RK, Curtin CM. Cleft palate surgery: an evaluation of length of stay, complications, and costs by hospital type. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2014; 51 (04) 412-419
- 23 King MS, Sharp L, Lipsky MS. Accuracy of CPT evaluation and management coding by family physicians. J Am Board Fam Pract 2001; 14 (03) 184-192
- 24 American College of Surgeons. ACS NSQIP Pediatric Participant Use Data File. https://www.facs.org/quality-programs/pediatric/program-specifics/quality-support-tools/puf . Accessed September 10, 2016