Ligaments Reconstruction for Posttraumatic Ulnar Translocation of the Carpus: A Case Report
05 October 2016
13 January 2017
06 March 2017 (eFirst)
Background Posttraumatic ulnar translocation of the carpus, a result of radiocarpal ligament tear is a relatively rare condition that may lead to persistent wrist pain and loss of function.
Case Description We report a case of radiocarpal ligament tear of which we reconstruct it with a vascularized interosseous membrane with 13 years of follow-up.
Literature Review Many treatment options have been proposed for the posttraumatic ulnar translocation, ranging from open repair to partial wrist fusion. However, the long term results have been disappointing.
Clinical Relevance Though this technique of reconstruction is technically demanding, it shows promising long term clinical outcome.
This work was performed at the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Microsurgery, Careggi University Hospital, Florence, Italy.
- 1 Berschback JC, Kalainov DM, Husain SN, Wiedrich TA, Cohen MS, Nagle DJ. Traumatic ulnar translocation of the carpus: early recognition and treatment. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2012; 37 (08) 755-764
- 2 Rayhack JM, Linscheid RL, Dobyns JH, Smith JH. Posttraumatic ulnar translation of the carpus. J Hand Surg Am 1987; 12 (02) 180-189
- 3 Schuind F. Scapholunate reconstruction using a vascularized flap of the interosseous membrane. Orthop Surg Tech 1995; 9: 21-26
- 4 Taleisnik J. The Wrist. New York, NY: Churchill Livingstone; 1985
- 5 Chamay A, Della Santa D, Vilaseca A. Radiolunate arthrodesis. Factor of stability for the rheumatoid wrist. Ann Chir Main 1983; 2 (01) 5-17
- 6 Bayon P, Pho RW. Anatomical basis of dorsal forearm flap. Based on posterior interosseous vessels. J Hand Surg Br 1988; 13 (04) 435-439
- 7 Rutgers M, Jupiter J, Ring D. Isolated posttraumatic ulnar translocation of the radiocarpal joint. J Hand Microsurg 2009; 1 (02) 108-112
- 8 Viegas SF, Patterson RM, Ward K. Extrinsic wrist ligaments in the pathomechanics of ulnar translation instability. J Hand Surg Am 1995; 20 (02) 312-318
- 9 Jebson PJ, Adams BD, Meletiou SD. Ulnar translocation instability of the carpus after a dorsal radiocarpal dislocation: a case report. Am J Orthop 2000; 29 (06) 462-464
- 10 Stabile KJ, Pfaeffle J, Weiss JA, Fischer K, Tomaino MM. Bi-directional mechanical properties of the human forearm interosseous ligament. J Orthop Res 2004; 22 (03) 607-612