Quality of Life in Pediatric Patients with Allergic Rhinitis treated at the Medical Clinic of Integrated Education – Unisul
05 December 2016
06 January 2017
15 March 2017 (eFirst)
Introduction Allergic rhinitis is a common disease among children and adolescents, reaching up to 40% of the population. During childhood, it is usually underdiagnosed because it has nonspecific symptoms. It has a negative impact on quality of life and may predispose to comorbidities. The diagnosis is clinical and treatment aims prevention.
Objective The objective of this study is to evaluate the quality of life in pediatric patients with allergic rhinitis.
Methods This is an observational study with cross-sectional design. The population consisted of pediatric patients with allergic rhinitis treated at the Medical Clinic of Integrated Education (MCIE) – Universidade do Sul de Santa Catarina - Unisul, Tubarão, SC, Brazil. We collected data from March to June 2016 through the application of the Sociodemographic and Health Questionnaire, rhinitis module of the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood Questionnaire and the Rhinoconjunctivitis Quality of Life Questionnaire Modified.
Results Out of the 69 respondents, 52.2% were boys with a mean age of 10.13 years old. The predominant education level of parents/guardians was incomplete second grade and average income level was two minimum wages. 81.2% said they had previous treatment for AR, 30.4% had asthma and 7.2% eczema. Incidence of patients smoking was absent and family (parents/guardians) smoking was 17.4%. March to July were the months of highest symptom occurrence, slightly disturbing daily activities. The mean value of severity was 51.9, nasal symptoms were the most uncomfortable, and nasal itchiness was the most cited.
Conclusion Our results highlight that allergic symptoms negatively impact the life of people with allergic rhinitis, with a predominance of nasal symptoms, especially nasal itchy, representing a poor quality of life of the interviewed.
- 1 Brożek JL, Bousquet J, Baena-Cagnani CE. , et al. Global Allergy and Asthma European Network; Grading of Recommendations Assessment, Development and Evaluation Working Group. Allergic Rhinitis and its Impact on Asthma (ARIA) guidelines: 2010 revision. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 126 (03) 466-476
- 2 Pawankar R, Bunnag C, Khaltaev N, Bousquet J. Allergic Rhinitis and Its Impact on Asthma in Asia Pacific and the ARIA Update 2008. World Allergy Organ J 2012; 5 (Suppl. 03) S212-S217
- 3 Campanha S, Freire L, Fontes M. O impacto da asma, da rinite alérgica e da respiração oral na qualidade de vida de crianças e adolescentes. Revista CEFAC 2008; 10 (04) 513-519
- 4 Luna MdeF, Fisher GB, Luna JR, Silva MG, Almeida PC, Chiesa D. Prevalence of rhinitis among 6 and 7-year old students in Fortaleza. Rev Assoc Med Bras (1992) 2014; 60 (04) 357-364
- 5 Martins da Silva C, da Silva TO, Morales N, Fernandes K, Pinto R. Quality of life in children and adolescents with allergic rhinitis. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol (Engl Ed) 2009; 75 (05) 642-649
- 6 Everhart RS, Kopel SJ, Esteban CA. , et al. Allergic rhinitis quality of life in urban children with asthma. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2014; 112 (04) 365-70.e1
- 7 Pawankar R, Baena-Cagnani CE, Bousquet J. , et al. State of world allergy report 2008: allergy and chronic respiratory diseases. World Allergy Organ J 2008; 1 (6, Suppl) S4-S17
- 8 Oliveira Filho EA. Tratamento da rinite em crianças. Revista AMRIGS 2010; 44 (04) 108-109
- 9 Nascimento Silva M, Naspitz C, Solé D. Evaluation of quality of life in children and teenagers with allergic rhinitis: adaptation and validation of the Rhinoconjunctivitis Quality of Life Questionnaire (RQLQ). Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 2001; 29 (04) 111-118
- 10 Castro TM, Marinho DR, Cavalcante CC. The impact of environmental factors on quality of life and symptoms of children with allergic rhinitis. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol (Engl Ed) 2013; 79 (05) 569-574
- 11 Solé D, Camelo-Nunes IC, Wandalsen GF, Rosário NA, Sarinho EC. ; Brazilian ISAAC Group. Is allergic rhinitis a trivial disease?. Clinics (Sao Paulo) 2011; 66 (09) 1573-1577
- 12 Bousquet PJ, Demoly P, Devillier P, Mesbah K, Bousquet J. Impact of allergic rhinitis symptoms on quality of life in primary care. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2013; 160 (04) 393-400
- 13 Camelo-Nunes I, Solé D. Allergic rhinitis: indicators of quality of life. J Bras Pneumol 2010; 36 (01) 124-133
- 14 Canonica GW, Mullol J, Pradalier A, Didier A. Patient perceptions of allergic rhinitis and quality of life: findings from a survey conducted in europe and the United States. World Allergy Organ J 2008; 1 (09) 138-144
- 15 Bousquet PJ, Bachert C, Canonica GW. , et al. Uncontrolled allergic rhinitis during treatment and its impact on quality of life: a cluster randomized trial. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2010; 126 (03) 666-8.e1 , 5
- 16 Mir E, Panjabi C, Shah A. Impact of allergic rhinitis in school going children. Asia Pac Allergy 2012; 2 (02) 93-100
- 17 Pastorino A. Estudo da prevalência de asma e doenças alérgicas, da sensibilização a aeroalérgenos e da exposição a fatores de risco em escolares de 13–14 anos na região oeste da cidade de São Paulo [thesis]. São Paulo, Brazil: FMUSP; 2005
- 18 Vanna AT, Yamada E, Arruda LK, Naspitz CK, Solé D. International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood: validation of the rhinitis symptom questionnaire and prevalence of rhinitis in schoolchildren in São Paulo, Brazil. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2001; 12 (02) 95-101
- 19 Búrigo Locks R. Qualidade De Vida Em Pacientes Com Rinite: Ensaio Clínico Comparando Uso De Bilastina Versus Loratadina [thesis]. Tubarão, Brazil: UNISUL; 2014
- 20 Mansi N, D'Agostino G, Scirè AS. , et al. Allergic Rhinitis in Children: A Randomized Clinical Trial Targeted at Symptoms. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2014; 66 (04) 386-393
- 21 Park CE, Shin SY, Lee KH, Cho JS, Kim SW. The effect of allergic rhinitis on the degree of stress, fatigue and quality of life in OSA patients. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 269 (09) 2061-2064
- 22 Braun-Fahrländer C, Wüthrich B, Gassner M. , et al; International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood. Validation of a rhinitis symptom questionnaire (ISAAC core questions) in a population of Swiss school children visiting the school health services. SCARPOL-team. Swiss Study on Childhood Allergy and Respiratory Symptom with respect to Air Pollution and Climate. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 1997; 8 (02) 75-82
- 23 Lages Ribeiro M. Validação do questionário de qualidade de vida e avaliação do bem-estar subjetivo de crianças respiradoras orais [thesis]. Belo Horizonte, Brazil: UFMG; 2012
- 24 Lu D, Zhao Y, Zheng Y. , et al. Evaluation of quality of life questionnaires for adult patients with moderate to severe allergic rhinitis. Am J Otolaryngol 2011; 32 (06) 494-498
- 25 Valero A, Mullol J, Herdman M, Rosales MJ. ; Spanish CQ7 Study Group. Measuring outcomes in allergic rhinitis: psychometric characteristics of a Spanish version of the congestion quantifier seven-item test (CQ7). Health Qual Life Outcomes 2011; 9 (01) 14