Study of Anthropometric Measurements of the Anterior Ethmoidal Artery using Three-dimensional Scanning on 300 Patients
16 May 2016
03 November 2016
13 February 2017 (online)
Introduction The anterior ethmoidal artery (AEA) is one of the main arteries that supply both the nasal mucosa and the ethmoid sinuses. The AEA shows variability regarding its distance from adjacent structures. Several studies have developed techniques to identify the AEA.
Objective This study aimed to compare the measurements from the AEA to the ethmoid bulla and to the frontal beak by using computed tomography of the face, while identifying their intraindividual and interindividual variations.
Methods We analyzed 300 CT scans of the face performed at the CT scan Center at Hospital. The average age of subjects was 36 ± 15.1 years (range 4–84).
Results We found that the average distance from the AEA to the ethmoid bulla was 17.2 ± 1.8 mm and the distance from the AEA to the frontal beak was 15.1 ± 2.2 mm. Regarding the average distance from the AEA to the frontal beak (AEA-frontal beak), there was a difference between the right and left sides, with the former being 0.4 mm higher on average than the latter. Among the age groups, there was a significant difference of distances between the AEA and the ethmoid bulla (AEA-ethmoid bulla), which were shorter in the ≤ 12 years group. There was a positive and significant correlation between both measurements analyzed, with low values (high) of AEA-ethmoid bulla distance corresponding to low values (high) of AEA-frontal beak distance.
Conclusion The measurements obtained adds anatomical knowledge that can serve as a parameter in frontal and ethmoid sinus surgery.
- 1 Lorkiewicz-Muszyńska D, Kociemba W, Rewekant A. , et al. Development of the maxillary sinus from birth to age 18. Postnatal growth pattern. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2015; 79 (09) 1393-1400
- 2 Araujo Filho BC, Weber R, Pinheiro Neto CG, Lessa MM, Voegels RL, Butugan O. Anatomia endoscópica da artéria etmoidal anterior: estudo de dissecção em cadáveres. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol 2006; 72 (03) 303-308
- 3 Lisbona Alquezar MP, Fernández Liesa R, Lorente Muñoz A. , et al. [Anterior ethmoidal artery at ethmoidal labyrinth: Bibliographical review of anatomical variants and references for endoscopic surgery]. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 2010; 61 (03) 202-208
- 4 Jang DW, Lachanas VA, White LC, Kountakis SE. Supraorbital ethmoid cell: a consistent landmark for endoscopic identification of the anterior ethmoidal artery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2014; 151 (06) 1073-1077
- 5 Wang L, Youseef A, Al Qahtani AA. , et al. Endoscopic anatomy of the middle ethmoidal artery. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 2014; 4 (02) 164-168
- 6 Vatanasapt P, Thanaviratananich S, Chaisiwamongkol K. Landmark of ethmoid arteries in adult Thai cadavers: application for sinus surgery. J Med Assoc Thai 2012; 95 (Suppl. 11) S153-S156
- 7 White DV, Sincoff EH, Abdulrauf SI. Anterior ethmoidal artery: microsurgical anatomy and technical considerations. Neurosurgery 2005; 56 (2, Suppl) 406-410 , discussion 406–410
- 8 Souza SA, Souza MMA, Gregório LC, Ajzen S. Avaliação da artéria etmoidal anterior pela tomografia computadorizada no plano coronal. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol 2009; 75 (01) 101-106
- 9 El-Fiki M. Surgical Anatomy for Control of Ethmoidal Arteries During Extended Endoscopic Endonasal or Microsurgical Resection of Vascular Anterior Skull Base Meningiomas. World Neurosurg 2015; 84 (06) 1532-1535
- 10 Simmen D, Raghavan U, Briner HR. , et al. The surgeon's view of the anterior ethmoid artery. Clin Otolaryngol 2006; 31 (03) 187-191
- 11 Stammberger H, Posawetz W. Functional endoscopic sinus surgery. Concept, indications and results of the Messerklinger technique. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 1990; 247 (02) 63-76
- 12 Felippu A, Mora R, Guastini L. Endoscopic transnasal cauterization of the anterior ethmoidal artery. Acta Otolaryngol 2011; 131 (10) 1074-1078
- 13 Wong DK, Shao A, Campbell R, Douglas R. Anterior ethmoidal artery emerging anterior to bulla ethmoidalis: An abnormal anatomical variation in Waardenburg's syndrome. Allergy Rhinol (Providence) 2014; 5 (03) 168-171
- 14 Cecchini G. Anterior and Posterior Ethmoidal Artery Ligation in Anterior Skull Base Meningiomas: A Review on Microsurgical Approaches. World Neurosurg 2015; 84 (04) 1161-1165
- 15 Pernas FG, Coughlin AM, Hughes SE, Riascos R, Maeso PA. A novel use of a landmark to avoid injury of the anterior ethmoidal artery during endoscopic sinus surgery. Am J Rhinol Allergy 2011; 25 (01) 54-57
- 16 Ding J, Sun G, Lu Y. , et al. Evaluation of anterior ethmoidal artery by 320-slice CT angiography with comparison to three-dimensional spin digital subtraction angiography: initial experiences. Korean J Radiol 2012; 13 (06) 667-673
- 17 Isaacson G, Monge JM. Arterial ligation for pediatric epistaxis: developmental anatomy. Am J Rhinol 2003; 17 (02) 75-81