Pituitary Adenoma: A Short Illustrative Review
08 April 2015
03 February 2016
14 July 2016 (online)
The pituitary gland is located below the brain in a depression of sphenoid bone known as sella turcica. It controls most of the body's endocrine functions via the secretion of various hormones into the circulatory system. Pituitary tumors are typically found in the anterior part of the gland. Almost all are benign adenomas. Tumors of size 10 mm or less are designated as microadenomas and those exceeding 10 mm in size are defined as macroadenomas .We report a case of resected pituitary macroadenoma. The diagnosis was made after histopathologic examination and clinicopathologic correlation.
Presented in part as poster at MAPCON 2012 conference. (Maharashtra Chapter conference of IAPM [Indian Association of Pathologists and Microbiologists]).
- 1 Scheithauer BW. The pituitary and sellar region. In: Mills SE, Carter D, Greenson JK, Oberman HA, Reuter V, Stoler MH, eds. Sternberg's Diagnostic Surgical Pathology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2004: 521-556
- 2 Ricardo V, Eva HL, Stefaneanu L, Kovacs K. Pituitary gland. In: Damjanov I, Linder J, eds. Andersons Pathology. 10th ed. St Louis, MO: Mosby; 1996: 1919-1942
- 3 Elkington SG. Pituitary adenoma. Preoperative symptomatology in a series of 260 patients. Br J Ophthalmol 1968; 52 (4) 322-328
- 4 Zargar AH, Laway BA, Masoodi SR , et al. Clinical and endocrine aspects of pituitary tumors. Saudi Med J 2004; 25 (10) 1428-1432
- 5 McDowell BD, Wallace RB, Carnahan RM, Chrischilles EA, Lynch CF, Schlechte JA. Demographic differences in incidence for pituitary adenoma. Pituitary 2011; 14 (1) 23-30
- 6 Daly AF, Rixhon M, Adam C, Dempegioti A, Tichomirowa MA, Beckers A. High prevalence of pituitary adenomas: a cross-sectional study in the province of Liege, Belgium. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91 (12) 4769-4775
- 7 Ezzat S, Asa SL, Couldwell WT , et al. The prevalence of pituitary adenomas: a systematic review. Cancer 2004; 101 (3) 613-619
- 8 Howanitz JH, Henry JB. Evaluation of endocrine function. In: Henry JB, ed. Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods. 20th ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders; 2001: 304-334
- 9 Mukai K. Pituitary adenomas. Immunocytochemical study of 150 tumors with clinicopathologic correlation. Cancer 1983; 52 (4) 648-653
- 10 Lee EH, Kim KH, Kwon JH, Kim HD, Kim YZ. Results of immunohistochemical staining of cell-cycle regulators: the prediction of recurrence of functioning pituitary adenoma. World Neurosurg 2014; 81 (03/04) 563-575