The Impact of Dysphagia Therapy on Quality of Life in Patients with Parkinson's Disease as Measured by the Swallowing Quality of Life Questionnaire (SWALQOL)
16. November 2015
16. Februar 2016
19. April 2016 (eFirst)
Introduction Dysphagia is a common symptom in Parkinson's disease (PD) and it has been associated with poor quality of life (QoL), anxiety, depression.
Objective The aim of this study was to evaluate the quality of life in individuals with PD before and after SLP therapy.
Methods The program consisted of four individual therapy sessions. Each session comprised guidelines regarding food and postural maneuvers (chin down). The Quality of Life in Swallowing Disorders (SWAL-QOL) questionnaire was applied before and after therapy.
Results The sample comprised of 10 individuals (8 men), with a mean (SD) age of 62.2 (11.3) years, mean educational attainment of 7.5 (4.3) years, and mean disease duration of 10.7 (4.7) years. Thirty percent of patients were Hoehn and Yahr (H&Y) stage 2, 50% were H&Y stage 3, and 20% were H&Y stage 4. Mean scores for all SWAL-QOL domains increased after the intervention period, with significant pre- to post-therapy differences in total score (p = 0.033) and domain 4 (symptom frequency) (p = 0.025). There was also a bias significance for domain 5 (food selection) (p = 0.095).
Conclusion Patients exhibited improvement in swallowing-related quality of life after a SLP therapy program. The earlier in the course of PD, greater the improvement observed after therapy.
- 1 Wintzen AR, Badrising UA, Roos RAC, Vielvoye J, Liauw L, Pauwels EKJ. Dysphagia in ambulant patients with Parkinson's disease: common, not dangerous. Can J Neurol Sci 1994; 21 (1) 53-56
- 2 Nagaya M, Kachi T, Yamada T, Igata A. Videofluorographic study of swallowing in Parkinson's disease. Dysphagia 1998; 13 (2) 95-100
- 3 Potulska A, Friedman A, Królicki L, Spychala A. Swallowing disorders in Parkinson's disease. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2003; 9 (6) 349-353
- 4 Kalf JG, de Swart BJ, Bloem BR, Munneke M. Prevalence of oropharyngeal dysphagia in Parkinson's disease: a meta-analysis. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2012; 18 (4) 311-315
- 5 Smith SK, Roddam H, Sheldrick H. Rehabilitation or compensation: time for a fresh perspective on speech and language therapy for dysphagia and Parkinson's disease?. Int J Lang Commun Disord 2012; 47 (4) 351-364
- 6 Argolo N, Sampaio M, Pinho P, Melo A, Nóbrega AC. Swallowing disorders in Parkinson's disease: impact of lingual pumping. Int J Lang Commun Disord 2015; 50 (5) 659-664
- 7 Kim YH, Oh BM, Jung IY, Lee JC, Lee GJ, Han TR. Spatiotemporal characteristics of swallowing in Parkinson's disease. Laryngoscope 2015; 125 (2) 389-395
- 8 Pinter B, Diem-Zangerl A, Wenning GK , et al. Mortality in Parkinson's disease: a 38-year follow-up study. Mov Disord 2015; 30 (2) 266-269
- 9 Macleod AD, Taylor KS, Counsell CE. Mortality in Parkinson's disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Mov Disord 2014; 29 (13) 1615-1622
- 10 Troche MS, Sapienza CM, Rosenbek JC. Effects of bolus consistency on timing and safety of swallow in patients with Parkinson's disease. Dysphagia 2008; 23 (1) 26-32
- 11 Pitts T, Bolser D, Rosenbek J, Troche M, Okun MS, Sapienza C. Impact of expiratory muscle strength training on voluntary cough and swallow function in Parkinson disease. Chest 2009; 135 (5) 1301-1308
- 12 Regan J, Walshe M, Tobin WO. Immediate effects of thermal-tactile stimulation on timing of swallow in idiopathic Parkinson's disease. Dysphagia 2010; 25 (3) 207-215
- 13 Leow LP, Huckabee ML, Anderson T, Beckert L. The impact of dysphagia on quality of life in ageing and Parkinson's disease as measured by the swallowing quality of life (SWAL-QOL) questionnaire. Dysphagia 2010; 25 (3) 216-220
- 14 Heijnen BJ, Speyer R, Baijens LWJ, Bogaardt HCA. Neuromuscular electrical stimulation versus traditional therapy in patients with Parkinson's disease and oropharyngeal dysphagia: effects on quality of life. Dysphagia 2012; 27 (3) 336-345
- 15 Portas JG. Validação para a língua portuguesa-brasileira dos questionários: qualidade de vida em disfagia (Swal-qol) e satisfação do paciente e qualidade do cuidado no tratamento da disfagia (Swal-care). [dissertation]. São Paulo: Fundação Antônio Prudente, em São Paulo, Programa de Pós-graduação em Oncologia; 2009
- 16 Logemann JA. The dysphagia diagnostic procedure as a treatment efficacy trial. Clin Commun Disord 1993; 3 (4) 1-10
- 17 Logemann JA, Gensler G, Robbins J , et al. A randomized study of three interventions for aspiration of thin liquids in patients with dementia or Parkinson's disease. J Speech Lang Hear Res 2008; 51 (1) 173-183
- 18 Luchesi KF, Kitamura S, Mourão LF. Dysphagia progression and swallowing management in Parkinson's disease: an observational study. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2015; 81 (1) 24-30
- 19 Monteiro L, Souza-Machado A, Pinho P, Sampaio M, Nóbrega AC, Melo A. Swallowing impairment and pulmonary dysfunction in Parkinson's disease: the silent threats. J Neurol Sci 2014; 339 (1–2) 149-152
- 20 Plowman-Prine EK, Sapienza CM, Okun MS , et al. The relationship between quality of life and swallowing in Parkinson's disease. Mov Disord 2009; 24 (9) 1352-1358
- 21 Gasparim AZ, Jurkiewicz AL, Marques JM, Santos RS, Marcelino PCO, Junior FH. Deglutição e Tosse nos Diferentes Graus da Doença de Parkinson. Arq Int Otorrinolaringol 2011; 15 (2) 181-188
- 22 Angelis EC. Doença de Parkinson. In: Jotz GP, Angelis EC, Barros APB, ed. Tratado da Deglutição e Disfagia - No adulto e na criança. Rio de Janeiro: Revinter; 2009: 274-278
- 23 Elbaz A, Bower JH, Maraganore DM , et al. Risk tables for parkinsonism and Parkinson's disease. J Clin Epidemiol 2002; 55 (1) 25-31