Giant Fusiform Vertebral Artery Aneurysm Treated with Microsurgical Bypass and Endovascular Coiling after Failed Flow Diversion: A Case Report and Discussion
24 March 2015
23 December 2015
08 June 2016 (online)
Background Giant vertebral and vertebrobasilar aneurysms have proven to be extremely challenging vascular entities to treat despite many advances in microsurgical and endovascular techniques. In recent years, there has been more attention paid to combined approaches, including combinations of endovascular and surgical procedures in hopes of decreasing the associated morbidity and mortality of these lesions.
Clinical Presentation We present a case of a giant fusiform vertebral artery aneurysm that was initially treated with flow-diverting stents. After the failure of flow diversion to occlude the aneurysm, the lesion was definitively treated with an occipital artery to the posterior inferior cerebellar artery (PICA) bypass and coil embolization of residual aneurysm.
Conclusion After bypass and parent vessel deconstruction, angiography confirmed the aneurysm has remained occluded and the PICA patent. This case highlights the use of an extracranial-to-intracranial bypass to salvage a complex residual aneurysm after failed flow diversion.
- 1 Drake CG, Peerless SJ. Giant fusiform intracranial aneurysms: review of 120 patients treated surgically from 1965 to 1992. J Neurosurg 1997; 87 (2) 141-162
- 2 Siddiqui AH, Abla AA, Kan P , et al. Panacea or problem: flow diverters in the treatment of symptomatic large or giant fusiform vertebrobasilar aneurysms. J Neurosurg 2012; 116 (6) 1258-1266
- 3 Henkes H, Fischer S, Mariushi W , et al. Angiographic and clinical results in 316 coil-treated basilar artery bifurcation aneurysms. J Neurosurg 2005; 103 (6) 990-999
- 4 Kalani MYS, Zabramski JM, Nakaji P, Spetzler RF. Bypass and flow reduction for complex basilar and vertebrobasilar junction aneurysms. Neurosurgery 2013; 72 (5) 763-775 , discussion 775–776
- 5 Miyamoto S, Funaki T, Iihara K, Takahashi JC. Successful obliteration and shrinkage of giant partially thrombosed basilar artery aneurysms through a tailored flow reduction strategy with bypass surgery. J Neurosurg 2011; 114 (4) 1028-1036
- 6 Wakhloo AK, Mandell J, Gounis MJ , et al. Stent-assisted reconstructive endovascular repair of cranial fusiform atherosclerotic and dissecting aneurysms: long-term clinical and angiographic follow-up. Stroke 2008; 39 (12) 3288-3296
- 7 Chen Z, Yang Y, Miao H , et al. Endovascular treatment for large and giant fusiform aneurysms of the vertebrobasilar arteries. Clin Imaging 2013; 37 (2) 227-231
- 8 Ertl L, Holtmannspötter M, Patzig M, Brückmann H, Fesl G. Use of flow-diverting devices in fusiform vertebrobasilar giant aneurysms: a report on periprocedural course and long-term follow-up. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 2014; 35 (7) 1346-1352
- 9 Chalouhi N, Tjoumakaris S, Dumont AS , et al. Treatment of posterior circulation aneurysms with the pipeline embolization device. Neurosurgery 2013; 72 (6) 883-889
- 10 Monteith SJ, Tsimpas A, Dumont AS , et al. Endovascular treatment of fusiform cerebral aneurysms with the Pipeline Embolization Device. J Neurosurg 2014; 120 (4) 945-954
- 11 Meckel S, McAuliffe W, Fiorella D , et al. Endovascular treatment of complex aneurysms at the vertebrobasilar junction with flow-diverting stents: initial experience. Neurosurgery 2013; 73 (3) 386-394
- 12 Abla AA, Zaidi HA, Crowley RW , et al. Optic chiasm compression from mass effect and thrombus formation following unsuccessful treatment of a giant supraclinoid ICA aneurysm with the Pipeline device: open surgical bailout with STA-MCA bypass and parent vessel occlusion. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2014; 14 (1) 31-37
- 13 Bambakidis NC, Gonzalez LF, Amin-Hanjani S , et al. Combined skull base approaches to the posterior fossa. Technical note. Neurosurg Focus 2005; 19 (2) E8
- 14 Shi X, Qian H, Singh KC , et al. Surgical management of vertebral and basilar artery aneurysms: a single center experience in 41 patients. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2013; 155 (6) 1087-1093
- 15 Nossek E, Chalif DJ, Dehdashti AR. How I do it: occipital artery to posterior inferior cerebellar artery bypass. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2014; 156 (5) 971-975