Bilateral Complete Osseous Coalition of the Capitate and Trapezoid
20. November 2015
20. Januar 2016
23. Februar 2016 (online)
Background Isolated capitate–trapezoid coalition is a rare form of carpal coalition with few cases described in the literature and a little insight as to how it should be addressed clinically.
Case Description We present a case of bilateral, a complete osseous carpal coalition between capitate and trapezoid discovered in the setting of atraumatic, symptomatic scapholunate dissociation in a 59-year-old, right-handed mechanic.
Literature Review Published reports of capitate–trapezoid coalition are rare, and there is no consensus as to whether this abnormality is a symptomatic pathology or incidental finding. Most reports describe the finding, but do not recommend a course of treatment; several recommend surgery, but the patient declined or it was not mentioned whether it was performed.
Clinical Relevance Capitate–trapezoid coalition is a rare condition that may present symptomatically or may be found incidentally. Reports are scant, and there are no guidelines for how to address these clinically. We present the first bilateral case report of capitate–trapezoid coalition confirmed with cross-sectional imaging and present a treatment algorithm.
All the work related to this study was performed at the Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY.
- 1 Carlson DH. Coalition of the carpal bones. Skeletal Radiol 1981; 7 (2) 125-127
- 2 Defazio MV, Cousins BJ, Miversuski Jr RA, Cardoso R. Carpal coalition: A review of current knowledge and report of a single institution's experience with asymptomatic intercarpal fusion. Hand (NY) 2013; 8 (2) 157-163
- 3 Alemohammad AM, Nakamura K, El-Sheneway M, Viegas SF. Incidence of carpal boss and osseous coalition: an anatomic study. J Hand Surg Am 2009; 34 (1) 1-6
- 4 Delaney TJ, Eswar S. Carpal coalitions. J Hand Surg Am 1992; 17 (1) 28-31
- 5 Peters S, Colaris JW. Carpal coalition: symptomatic incomplete bony coalition of the capitate and trapezoid—case report. J Hand Surg Am 2011; 36 (8) 1313-1315
- 6 Huntley JS, Hooper G. Carpal anomalies. Clin Anat 2007; 20 (3) 326-328
- 7 Geutjens G. Carpal bossing with capitate-trapezoid fusion. A case report. Acta Orthop Scand 1994; 65 (1) 97-98
- 8 Walia JPS, Singh A, Walia AK, Kumar D. Bilateral coalition of capitate & trapezoid a very rare case. Ind J Radiol Imag 2006; 16 (4) 585-586