Pitch and Loudness Tinnitus in Individuals with Presbycusis
26 July 2015
04 October 2015
01 February 2016 (eFirst)
Introduction Tinnitus is a symptom that is often associated with presbycusis.
Objective This study aims to analyze the existence of association among hearing thresholds, pitch, and loudness of tinnitus in individuals with presbycusis, considering the gender variable.
Methods Cross-sectional, descriptive, and prospective study, whose sample consisted of individuals with tinnitus and diagnosis of presbycusis. For the evaluation, we performed anamnesis along with otoscopy, pure tone audiometry, and acuphenometry to analyze the psychoacoustic characteristics of tinnitus individuals.
Results The sample consisted of 49 subjects, with a mean age of 69.57 ± 6.53 years, who presented unilateral and bilateral tinnitus, therefore, a sample of 80 ears. In analyzing the results, as for acuphenometry, the loudness of tinnitus was more present at 0dB and the pitch was 6HKz and 8HKz. Regarding the analysis of the association between the frequency of greater hearing threshold and tinnitus pitch, no statistical significance (p = 0.862) was found. As for the association between the intensity of greater hearing threshold and tinnitus loudness, no statistical significance (p = 0.115) was found.
Conclusion There is no significant association between the hearing loss of patients with presbycusis and the pitch and loudness of tinnitus.
- 1 Priberam Dictionary of the Portuguese Language (2013) . Available at: http://www.priberam.pt/dlpo/presbiacusia . Accessed on Oct 11, 2013
- 2 Roth TN, Hanebuth D, Probst R. Prevalence of age-related hearing loss in Europe: a review. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2011; 268 (8) 1101-1107
- 3 Baraldi GS, de Almeida LC, Borges ACC. Hearing loss in aging. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2007; 73 (1) 58-64
- 4 Teixeira AR, Freitas CR, Millão LF , et al. Relationship Among Hearing Loss, Age, Gender and Senior Quality of Life. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2008; 12: 62-70
- 5 Guerra TM, Estevanovic LP, Cavalcante MdeÁ, Silva RCL, Miranda ICC, Quintas VG. Profile of audiometric thresholds and tympanometric curve of elderly patients. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2010; 76 (5) 663-666
- 6 Ciorba A, Bianchini C, Pelucchi S, Pastore A. The impact of hearing loss on the quality of life of elderly adults. Clin Interv Aging 2012; 7: 159-163
- 7 Assumption ARM, Albertino S. Tinnitus Rev. Pedro Ernesto Univ Hosp UERJ 2012; 11: 19-22
- 8 Sanchez TG, Ferrari GMS. What is tinnitus? In: Samelli AG. Tinnitus: assessment, diagnosis and rehabilitation. Current approaches. São Paulo: Lovise; 2004. . p. 17–22.
- 9 Gonçalves MS, Tochetto TM, Rossi AG. Condição auditiva de indivíduos com queixa de zumbido. Saúde 2005; 31: 5-9
- 10 Baguley DM. Mechanisms of tinnitus. Br Med Bull 2002; 63: 195-212
- 11 Axelsson A, Ringdahl A. Tinnitus—a study of its prevalence and characteristics. Br J Audiol 1989; 23 (1) 53-62
- 12 Coelho CCB, Sanchez TG, Bento RF. Características do zumbido em pacientes atendidos em serviço de referência. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2004; 8: 216-224
- 13 Méric C, Gartner M, Collet L, Chéry-Croze S. Psychopathological profile of tinnitus sufferers: evidence concerning the relationship between tinnitus features and impact on life. Audiol Neurootol 1998; 3 (4) 240-252
- 14 Pinto PC, Sanchez TG, Tomita S. The impact of gender, age and hearing loss on tinnitus severity. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2010; 76 (1) 18-24
- 15 Vanneste S, Joos K, De Ridder D. Prefrontal cortex based sex differences in tinnitus perception: same tinnitus intensity, same tinnitus distress, different mood. PLoS ONE 2012; 7 (2) e31182
- 16 Hiller W, Goebel G. Factors influencing tinnitus loudness and annoyance. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2006; 132 (12) 1323-1330
- 17 Welch D, Dawes PJ. Personality and perception of tinnitus. Ear Hear 2008; 29 (5) 684-692
- 18 Seydel C, Haupt H, Olze H, Szczepek AJ, Mazurek B. Gender and Chronic Tinnitus: differences in tinnitus-related distress depend on age and duration of tinnitus. Ear Hear 2013; 34: 661-672
- 19 Lindgren T, Wieslander G, Dammström BG, Norbäck D. Tinnitus among airline pilots: prevalence and effects of age, flight experience, and other noise. Aviat Space Environ Med 2009; 80 (2) 112-116
- 20 Brown SC. Older Americans and Tinnitus: A Demographic Study and Chartbook [dissertation]. Washington, USA: Gallaudet University Gallaudet Research Institute; 1990: 1-22
- 21 Sanchez TG, Zonato AI, Bittar RSM, Bento RF. Controvérsias sobre a fisiologia do zumbido. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 1997; 1: 2-8
- 22 White-Barreiro FCA. Basic Audiological Evaluation and Psychoacoustics of Tinnitus. In: Samelli AG. Tinnitus: assessment, diagnosis and rehabilitation. Current approaches. São Paulo: Lovise; 2004. . p. 55–9.
- 23 Ferreira LMBM, Ramos Júnior AN, Mendes EP. Characterization of tinnitus in the elderly and its possible related disorders. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2009; 75 (2) 249-255
- 24 Moura LOS, Iorio MCM, Azevedo MF. A eficácia da adaptação de prótese auditiva na redução ou eliminação do zumbido. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2004; 70: 624-631
- 25 Figueiredo RR, Rates MA, Azevedo AA, Oliveira PM, Navarro PBA. Correlation analysis of hearing thresholds, validated questionnaires and psychoacoustic measurements in tinnitus patients. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2010; 76 (4) 522-526
- 26 Urnau D, Tochetto TM. Characteristics of tinnitus and hyperacusis in normal hearing individuals. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2011; 15: 468-474
- 27 Mondelli MFCG, Rocha AB. Correlation between the audiologic findings and buzz disturbing. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2011; 15: 172-180
- 28 Lasisi AO, Abiona T, Gureje O. Tinnitus in the elderly: Profile, correlates, and impact in the Nigerian Study of Ageing. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2010; 143 (4) 510-515
- 29 Karatas E, Deniz M. The comparison of acoustic and psychic parameters of subjective tinnitus. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 269 (2) 441-447
- 30 Camarano AA. Aging of the population: a demographic contribution. In: EV Freitas, Py G, Neri AL, Cançado FAX, Gorzoni ML, SM Rocha. Treaty of Geriatrics and Gerontology. 2. ed. Rio de Janeiro: Guanabara Koogan; 2006: 88-105
- 31 Carvalho JAM, Wong LR. The changing age structure of the population in the first half of the XXI century. Cad Saude Publica 2008; 24: 597-605
- 32 Makar SK, Biswas A, Shatapathy P. The impact of tinnitus on sufferers in Indian population. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2014; 66 (Suppl. 01) 37-51
- 33 Seimetz BM, Flores LS, Copetti NS, Freitas NB, Gonçalves AK, Teixeira AR. Hearing thresholds of a group of elderly. Proceedings of the 28th International Meeting of Audiology; April 24–27, 2013; Salvador, Brazil. São Paulo, Brazilian Academy of Audiology; 2013. p. 82.
- 34 Menezes P, Santos Filha VAV. Acuphenometry: the rescue of an assessment instrument of tinnitus and its correlation with sensory hearing loss. Rev Fonoaudiol Bras 2005; 3: 1-4
- 35 Shekhawat GS, Searchfield GD, Stinear CM. The relationship between tinnitus pitch and hearing sensitivity. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2014; 271 (1) 41-48
- 36 Noreña A, Micheyl C, Chéry-Croze S, Collet L. Psychoacoustic characterization of the tinnitus spectrum: implications for the underlying mechanisms of tinnitus. Audiol Neurootol 2002; 7 (6) 358-369
- 37 Sereda M, Hall DA, Bosnyák DJ , et al. Re-examining the relationship between audiometric profile and tinnitus pitch. Int J Audiol 2011; 50 (5) 303-312
- 38 Schecklmann M, Vielsmeier V, Steffens T, Landgrebe M, Langguth B, Kleinjung T. Relationship between Audiometric slope and tinnitus pitch in tinnitus patients: insights into the mechanisms of tinnitus generation. PLoS ONE 2012; 7 (4) e34878
- 39 Silva AL, Butzke BL, Deutsch KM , et al. Correlation between acuphenometry and audiometry in patients with chronic tinnitus. Proceedings of the 32nd Scientific Week of the Porto Alegre University Hospital; 2012 August; Porto Alegre, Brazil. Porto Alegre, Rev. HCPA & Fac. Med. Univ. Fed. Rio Gd. South 2012.; 32 (Suppl.) 100.
- 40 Pan T, Tyler RS, Ji H, Coelho C, Gehringer AK, Gogel SA. The relationship between tinnitus pitch and the audiogram. Int J Audiol 2009; 48 (5) 277-294
- 41 Schecklmann M, Vielsmeier V, Steffens T, Landgrebe M, Langguth B, Kleinjung T. Relationship between Audiometric slope and tinnitus pitch in tinnitus patients: insights into the mechanisms of tinnitus generation. PLoS ONE 2012; 7 (4) e34878
- 42 Morais AA, Gil D. Tinnitus in individuals without hearing loss and its relationship with temporomandibular dysfunction. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2012; 78: 59-65
- 43 Aparecida de Azevedo A, Mello de Oliveira P, Gomes de Siqueira A, Figueiredo RR. A critical analysis of tinnitus measuring methods. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2007; 73 (3) 418-423