Subscribe to RSS
Comparison of Irrigation versus No Irrigation during Burr Hole Evacuation of Chronic Subdural Hematoma
21 December 2014
03 July 2015
28 April 2016 (online)
Objective To compare the results of the use of irrigation versus no irrigation during burr hole evacuation of chronic subdural hematoma (CSDH).
Methodology The study was a retrospective chart review of those patients who underwent burr hole evacuation of CSDH during a period of 5 years. Cases were divided into two groups based on the use of irrigation during surgery. A subdural drain was placed in all patients (i.e., in both the irrigation and no-irrigation groups) and removed 24 to 48 hours postoperatively.
Results The total sample size was 56, of which 34 patients were in the irrigation group and 22 in the no-irrigation group. Recurrence rate was 17.6% in the irrigation group and 9.1% in the no-irrigation group (p = 0.46). Systemic complications were predominantly cardiac related in the no-irrigation group compared with respiratory complications in the irrigation group. The irrigation group had a mortality rate of 5.9% compared with 4.5% in the no-irrigation group (p = 0.66).
Conclusion No statistically significant difference was found between the two groups in terms of recurrence or mortality.
- 1 Alemdar M, Selekler HM, Komsuoğlu SS. Temporal characteristics of migraine-type headache [in Turkish]. Agri 2009; 21 (4) 168-174
- 2 Ko B-S, Lee J-K, Seo B-R, Moon SJ, Kim JH, Kim SH. Clinical analysis of risk factors related to recurrent chronic subdural hematoma. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2008; 43 (1) 11-15
- 3 Tugcu B, Tanriverdi O, Baydin S , et al. Can recurrence of chronic subdural hematoma be predicted? A retrospective analysis of 292 cases. J Neurol Surg A Cent Eur Neurosurg 2014; 75 (1) 37-41
- 4 Baraniskin A, Steffens C, Harders A , et al. Impact of pre-hospital antithrombotic medication on the outcome of chronic and acute subdural hematoma. J Neurol Surg A Cent Eur Neurosurg 2014; 75 (1) 31-36
- 5 Awasthi D, Howington J, Dowd G. Chronic subdural hematoma—to drain or not to drain? Louisiana State University Medical Center Web site. Available at: http://www.medschool.lsuhsc.edu/neurosurgery/nervecenter/chsdh.html
- 6 Adachi A, Higuchi Y, Fujikawa A , et al. Risk factors in chronic subdural hematoma: comparison of irrigation with artificial cerebrospinal fluid and normal saline in a cohort analysis. PLoS ONE 2014; 9 (8) e103703
- 7 Nayil K, Ramzan A, Sajad A , et al. Subdural hematomas: an analysis of 1181 Kashmiri patients. World Neurosurg 2012; 77 (1) 103-110
- 8 Tagle P, Mery F, Torrealba G , et al. Chronic subdural hematoma: a disease of elderly people [in Spanish]. Rev Med Chil 2003; 131 (2) 177-182
- 9 Gazzeri R, Galarza M, Neroni M, Canova A, Refice GM, Esposito S. Continuous subgaleal suction drainage for the treatment of chronic subdural haematoma. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2007; 149 (5) 487-493 ; discussion 493
- 10 Stroobandt G, Fransen P, Thauvoy C, Menard E. Pathogenetic factors in chronic subdural haematoma and causes of recurrence after drainage. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1995; 137 (1–2) 6-14
- 11 Zumofen D, Regli L, Levivier M, Krayenbühl N. Chronic subdural hematomas treated by burr hole trepanation and a subperiostal drainage system. Neurosurgery 2009; 64 (6) 1116-1121 ; discussion 1121–1122
- 12 Stanisic M, Lund-Johansen M, Mahesparan R. Treatment of chronic subdural hematoma by burr-hole craniostomy in adults: influence of some factors on postoperative recurrence. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2005; 147 (12) 1249-1256 ; discussion 1256–1257
- 13 Chang SH, Yang SH, Son BC, Lee SW. Cerebellar hemorrhage after burr hole drainage of supratentorial chronic subdural hematoma. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2009; 46 (6) 592-595
- 14 Diaz P, Maillo A. Intracerebral hemorrhage following chronic subdural hematoma evacuation: report of two cases and review of the literature [in Spanish]. Neurocirugia (Astur) 2003; 14 (4) 333-336 ; discussion 337
- 15 Mori K, Maeda M. Surgical treatment of chronic subdural hematoma in 500 consecutive cases: clinical characteristics, surgical outcome, complications, and recurrence rate. Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 2001; 41 (8) 371-381
- 16 Rohde V, Graf G, Hassler W. Complications of burr-hole craniostomy and closed-system drainage for chronic subdural hematomas: a retrospective analysis of 376 patients. Neurosurg Rev 2002; 25 (1–2) 89-94
- 17 Weigel R, Schmiedek P, Krauss JK. Outcome of contemporary surgery for chronic subdural haematoma: evidence based review. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2003; 74 (7) 937-943
- 18 Abouzari M, Rashidi A, Rezaii J , et al. The role of postoperative patient posture in the recurrence of traumatic chronic subdural hematoma after burr-hole surgery. Neurosurgery 2007; 61 (4) 794-797 ; discussion 797
- 19 Tsai TH, Lieu AS, Hwang SL, Huang TY, Hwang YF. A comparative study of the patients with bilateral or unilateral chronic subdural hematoma: precipitating factors and postoperative outcomes. J Trauma 2010; 68 (3) 571-575
- 20 Baechli H, Nordmann A, Bucher HC, Gratzl O. Demographics and prevalent risk factors of chronic subdural haematoma: results of a large single-center cohort study. Neurosurg Rev 2004; 27 (4) 263-266
- 21 Yamamoto H, Hirashima Y, Hamada H, Hayashi N, Origasa H, Endo S. Independent predictors of recurrence of chronic subdural hematoma: results of multivariate analysis performed using a logistic regression model. J Neurosurg 2003; 98 (6) 1217-1221
- 22 Han HJ, Park CW, Kim EY, Yoo CJ, Kim YB, Kim WK. One vs. two burr hole craniostomy in surgical treatment of chronic subdural hematoma. J Korean Neurosurg Soc 2009; 46 (2) 87-92
- 23 Santarius T, Kirkpatrick PJ, Ganesan D , et al. Use of drains versus no drains after burr-hole evacuation of chronic subdural haematoma: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2009; 374 (9695) 1067-1073
- 24 Mellergård P, Wisten O. Operations and re-operations for chronic subdural haematomas during a 25-year period in a well defined population. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 1996; 138 (6) 708-713