Subscribe to RSS
Duodenal Duplication Cyst: A Rare Differential Diagnosis in a Neonate with Bilious Vomiting
08 December 2014
31 May 2015
10 September 2015 (online)
Bilious vomiting is a relevant sign in neonates that requires immediate evaluation and diagnosis. A duplication of the intestinal tract is a possible cause of obstruction if located distally to the major duodenal papilla of Vater and most of them involve the jejunum, stomach, or colon. Duodenal duplications are very rare and can have an endoscopic or surgical treatment after diagnosis. We present a case of a 16-day-old term newborn that consulted because of bilious vomiting and after evaluation with imaging and upper endoscopy, a duodenal duplication cyst was found at the level of the third portion causing compression of the intestinal lumen that required surgical resolution with duodenocystostomy.
- 1 Chen JJ, Lee HC, Yeung CY, Chan WT, Jiang CB, Sheu JC. Meta-analysis: the clinical features of the duodenal duplication cyst. J Pediatr Surg 2010; 45 (8) 1598-1606
- 2 Tsai SD, Sopha SC, Fishman EK. Isolated duodenal duplication cyst presenting as a complex solid and cystic mass in the upper abdomen. J Radiol Case Rep 2013; 7 (11) 32-37
- 3 Laje P, Flake AW, Adzick NS. Prenatal diagnosis and postnatal resection of intraabdominal enteric duplications. J Pediatr Surg 2010; 45 (7) 1554-1558
- 4 Laskowska K, Gałązka P, Daniluk-Matraś I, Leszczyński W, Serafin Z. Use of diagnostic imaging in the evaluation of gastrointestinal tract duplications. Pol J Radiol 2014; 79: 243-250
- 5 Romeo E, Torroni F, Foschia F , et al. Surgery or endoscopy to treat duodenal duplications in children. J Pediatr Surg 2011; 46 (5) 874-878
- 6 Ballehaninna UK, Nguyen T, Burjonrappa SC. Laparoscopic Resection of Antenataly Identified Duodenal Duplication Cyst. JSLS 2013; 17 (3) 454-458
- 7 Byun J, Oh HM, Kim SH , et al. Laparoscopic partial cystectomy with mucosal stripping of extraluminal duodenal duplication cysts. World J Gastroenterol 2014; 20 (4) 1123-1126
- 8 Rai BK, Zaman S, Mirza B, Hanif G, Sheikh A. Duodenal duplication cyst having ectopic gastric and pancreatic tissues. APSP J Case Rep 2012; 3 (2) 15
- 9 Seeliger B, Piardi T, Marzano E, Mutter D, Marescaux J, Pessaux P. Duodenal duplication cyst: a potentially malignant disease. Ann Surg Oncol 2012; 19 (12) 3753-3754 DOI: 10.1245/s10434-012-2502-4.
- 10 Somme S, Langer JC. Duplications of the alimentary tract. In: Spitz L, Coran A, , eds. Operative Pediatric Surgery. 7th ed. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 2013: 458-468