Is There a Possible Association between Dietary Habits and Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo in the Elderly? The Importance of Diet and Counseling
02 December 2014
29 March 2015
29 May 2015 (online)
Introduction Poor diet habits and inadequate intake of nutrients are a concern in the elderly. Nutritional education with guidance may improve the results of the treatment of vertigo.
Objective Evaluate the presence of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) associated with feeding habits.
Methods Cross-sectional study with elderly people living independently. We evaluated nutritional habits through the method of dietary 24-hour recall and manipulation of Dix-Hallpike.
Results Based on a sample of 487 individuals, 117 had BPPV. Among the 117 elderly patients with BPPV, 37 (31.62%) had inadequate feeding. From those 370 individuals without BPPV, 97 (26.21%) had inappropriate feeding. No significant association between nutritional habits and BPPV in the total population was observed (p = 0.3064). However, there was significant relation between BPPV and inadequate carbohydrate intake (p = 0.0419) and insufficient fiber intake (p = 0.03), and the diet of these subjects was rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids (p = 0.0084).
Conclusion These data correlate with the dyslipidemia and hypertriglyceridemia status, making it extremely important to reduce the intake of fats and carbohydrates and increase the fiber intake to stabilize triglycerides and thus minimize harmful effects on the inner ear. Food readjustment is suggested in patients with BPPV, along with the work of a multidisciplinary team to improve the quality of the elderly.
- 1 Corrêa Leite ML, Nicolosi A, Cristina S, Hauser WA, Pugliese P, Nappi G. Dietary and nutritional patterns in an elderly rural population in Northern and Southern Italy: (I). A cluster analysis of food consumption. Eur J Clin Nutr 2003; 57 (12) 1514-1521
- 2 Jacques PF, Tucker KL. Are dietary patterns useful for understanding the role of diet in chronic disease?. Am J Clin Nutr 2001; 73 (1) 1-2
- 3 León-Muñoz LM, Guallar-Castillón P, Graciani A , et al. Dietary habits of the hypertensive population of Spain: accordance with the DASH diet and the Mediterranean diet. J Hypertens 2012; 30 (7) 1373-1382
- 4 Marchiori LLM, Melo JJ, Possette FLF, Correa AL. Comparison of frequency of vertigo in elderly with and without arterial hypertension. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2010; 4: 456-460
- 5 Cabral GTR, Correa LB, Silveira SR, Lopes RP. Interferência da queixa de tontura na qualidade de vida dos idosos cadastrados na UBS do bairro Araçás, Vila Velha/ES. ActaOrl 2009; 27 (2) 58-63
- 6 Maarsingh OR, Dros J, Schellevis FG, van Weert HC, Bindels PJ, Horst HE. Dizziness reported by elderly patients in family practice: prevalence, incidence, and clinical characteristics. BMC Fam Pract 2010; 11 (11) 2
- 7 Marchiori LLM, Rego F, Almeida E. Queixa de vertigem e hipertensão arterial. Rev Cefac 2007; 9 (1) 116-121
- 8 Chapman IM. Nutritional disorders in the elderly. Med Clin North Am 2006; 90 (5) 887-907
- 9 Ahmed T, Haboubi N. Assessment and management of nutrition in older people and its importance to health. Clin Interv Aging 2010; 5 (5) 207-216
- 10 Stratton RJ, Green CJ, Elia M. Disease-Related Malnutrition. An Evidence-Based Approach to Treatment. Oxford, UK: CABI; 2003
- 11 Bittar RSM, Bottino MA, Zerati FE, Moraes CLO, Cunha AU, Bento RF. Prevalência das alterações metabólicas em pacientes portadores de queixas vestibulares. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol 2003; 69 (1) 64-69
- 12 Bittar R, Saraiva M, Bottino MA, Simoceli L, Venosa AR. Vestibular impairment secondary to glucose metabolic disorders: reality or myth?. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol 2004; 70 (6) 800-805
- 13 Ganança MM, Caovilla HH, Munhoz MSL, Silva MLG. Alterações da audição e do equilíbrio corporal no idoso. Rev Bras Med 1999; 56 (10) 995-1011
- 14 Bhattacharyya N, Baugh RF, Orvidas L , et al; American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery Foundation. Clinical practice guideline: benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2008; 139 (5) (Suppl. 04) S47-S81
- 15 Cho EI, White JA. Positional vertigo: as occurs across all age groups. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 2011; 44 (2) 347-360 , viii
- 16 Marconi MA, Lakatos EM. Fundamentos de metodologia científica. 7th ed. São Paulo, Brazil: Atlas; 2010
- 17 Spidurso WW. Dimensões físicas do envelhecimento. Barueri São Paulo, Brazil: Manole; 2005
- 18 Slimani N, Deharveng G, Charrondière RU , et al. Structure of the standardized computerized 24-h diet recall interview used as reference method in the 22 centers participating in the EPIC project. European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Comput Methods Programs Biomed 1999; 58 (3) 251-266
- 19 Avanutri. Software for Windows. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Avanutri Informática; 2014
- 20 Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids: Summary Tables. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2006. . Available at: http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=1319 . Accessed in December 15, 2014
- 21 Dix MR, Hallpike CS. The pathology, symptomatology and diagnosis of certain common disorders of the vestibular system. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1952; 61 (4) 987-1016
- 22 Kaźmierczak H, Doroszewska G. Metabolic disorders in vertigo, tinnitus, and hearing loss. Int Tinnitus J 2001; 7 (1) 54-58
- 23 Huffman FG, Vaccaro JA, Zarini GG, Biller D, Dixon Z. Inadequacy of micronutrients, fat, and fiber consumption in the diets of Haitian-, African- and Cuban-Americans with and without type 2 diabetes. Int J Vitam Nutr Res 2012; 82 (4) 275-287
- 24 Summers LK, Fielding BA, Bradshaw HA , et al. Substituting dietary saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat changes abdominal fat distribution and improves insulin sensitivity. Diabetologia 2002; 45 (3) 369-377
- 25 Lima Filho DO, Sproesser LR, Lima MFEM, Lucchese T. Comportamento alimentar do consumidor idoso. Revista de negócios 2008; 13 (4) 27-39
- 26 Manninen V, Elo MO, Frick MH , et al. Lipid alterations and decline in the incidence of coronary heart disease in the Helsinki Heart Study. JAMA 1988; 260 (5) 641-651
- 27 Mantello EB, Moriguti JC, Júnior ALR, Ferrioli E. Efeito da reabilitação vestibular sobre a qualidade de vida de idosos labirintopatas. Rev Bras Otorrinolaringol 2008; 74 (2) 1-14
- 28 Ducan B, Schmidt M, Giugliani E. Medicina ambulatorial: condutas de atenção primaria baseada em evidencias. 3rd ed. Porto Alegre, Brazil: Artmed; 2004