Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of Mandibular Fracture without Rigid Maxillomandibular Fixation
21 January 2015
23 February 2015
30 March 2015 (online)
Introduction The ability to treat fracture with open reduction and internal fixation (OR/IF) has dramatically revolutionized the approach to mandible fracture. With OR/IF, the postoperative role of rigid maxillomandibular fixation (MMF) has declined, but it is used to maintain proper occlusion until internal fixation of the fracture is achieved.
Objective To assess intraoperative manual MMF during OR/IF of selected cases of mandibular fractures.
Methods This prospective study was conducted on 80 patients with isolated mandibular fractures managed by OR/IF using two titanium miniplates. The patients were classified into two groups: a control group (40 patients) treated by OR/IF after intraoperative rigid MMF followed by immediate MMF removal, and a study group (40 patients) treated by rigid MMF, which was replaced by temporary intraoperative manual MMF (3MF) until plate fixation.
Results There were no significant differences of the postoperative complication and dental occlusion, although a highly significant reduction of operative time was achieved in the 3MF group. Patient who received the 3MF technique had statistically significantly better average intrinsic vertical mouth opening in the early postoperative period (1 week after surgery), and normal mouth opening could be achieved in all cases in both groups 8 weeks after surgery.
Conclusions Intraoperative rigid MMF is not mandatory and can be replaced in selected cases of fracture mandible by manual maintenance of proper dental occlusion until hardware fixation, gaining the advantages of shorter operative time and less risk of blood-transmitted diseases to the surgical team and the patient in addition to the benefits of immediate postoperative mandible mobilization.
- 1 Gupta R, Surayana S, Pandya VK , et al. Traumatic mandibular fractures: pendulum swinging towards closed reduction?. World Art Ear Nose Throat 2010; 3: 1
- 2 Imazawa T, Komuro Y, Inoue M, Yanai A. Mandibular fractures treated with maxillomandibular fixation screws (MMFS method). J Craniofac Surg 2006; 17 (3) 544-549
- 3 Lazow SK. The mandible fracture: a treatment protocol. J Craniomaxillofac Trauma 1996; 2 (2) 24-30
- 4 Sorel B. Open versus closed reduction of mandible fractures. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 1998; 10: 553
- 5 Schneidr M, Erasmus F, Gerlach K , et al. Open reduction and internal fixation versus closed treatment and mandibulomaxillary fixation of fracture of the mandible condylar process. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2008; 66 (12) 2537-2544
- 6 Kumar I, Singh V, Bhagol A, Goel M, Gandhi S. Supplemental maxillomandibular fixation with miniplate osteosynthesis-required or not?. Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011; 15 (1) 27-30
- 7 Kaplan BA, Hoard MA, Park SS. Immediate mobilization following fixation of mandible fractures: a prospective, randomized study. Laryngoscope 2001; 111 (9) 1520-1524
- 8 Smartt Jr JM, Low DW, Bartlett SP. The pediatric mandible: II. Management of traumatic injury or fracture. Plast Reconstr Surg 2005; 116 (2) 28e-41e
- 9 Ayoub AF, Rowson J. Comparative assessment of two methods used for interdental immobilization. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2003; 31 (3) 159-161
- 10 Gallagher C, Gallagher V, Whelton H, Cronin M. The normal range of mouth opening in an Irish population. J Oral Rehabil 2004; 31 (2) 110-116
- 11 Nacamuli RP, Longaker MT. Bone induction in craniofacial defects. Orthod Craniofac Res 2005; 8 (4) 259-266
- 12 Haug RH, Assael LA. Outcomes of open versus closed treatment of mandibular subcondylar fractures. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2001; 59 (4) 370-375 , discussion 375–376
- 13 Al-Belasy FA. A short period of maxillomandibular fixation for treatment of fractures of the mandibular tooth-bearing area. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2005; 63 (7) 953-956
- 14 Zimmermann CE, Troulis MJ, Kaban LB. Pediatric facial fractures: recent advances in prevention, diagnosis and management. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2006; 35 (1) 2-13
- 15 Yaman F, Atilgan S, Erol B. Malpractice in child with mandibular fracture: a case report. Biotechnol & Biotechnol Eq. 2006; 20: 185-187
- 16 Singh V, Bhagol A, Kumar I. A new and easy technique for maxillomandibular fixation. Natl J Maxillofac Surg 2010; 1 (1) 24-25
- 17 Engelstad ME, Kelly P. Embrasure wires for intraoperative maxillomandibular fixation are rapid and effective. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011; 69 (1) 120-124