A Rare Location of Angiofibroma in the Inferior Turbinate in Young Woman
29 May 2014
25 November 2014
29 December 2014 (online)
Introduction Juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma is a rare benign neoplasm in the nasopharynx. The tumor tends to be locally aggressive and is typically seen in adolescent boys. Extranasopharyngeal angiofibromas have been reported sporadically in the literature. They most commonly originate from the maxillary sinus.
Objectives A 26-year-old woman was referred to our clinic with intermittent epistaxis from the right nasal passage for the previous 2 months. Maxillofacial magnetic resonance imaging showed a lobular, contoured mass originating from the right inferior turbinate and hanging in the right nasal cavity, with dense contrast enhancement denoting hypervascularity.
Resumed Report Vascular feeding of the mass was seen from the right internal maxillary artery with angiography, and this branch was embolized. On the following day, the patient underwent transnasal endoscopic excision of the mass. An approximately 3-cm-diameter mass was excised by partial turbinectomy, and the posterior edge of the remaining turbinate was cauterized.
Conclusion Extranasopharyngeal angiofibromas are rarely seen, and the inferior turbinate is an extremely rare location for them. This young woman is the first case reported in the English literature of angiofibroma originating from the inferior turbinate. We should consider these neoplasms can be found in female, nonadolescent patients with extranasopharyngeal localization, and we should not perform biopsy because of its massive bleeding.
- 1 Szymańska A, Szymański M, Morshed K, Czekajska-Chehab E, Szczerbo-Trojanowska M. Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma: clinical and radiological presentation. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2013; 270 (2) 655-660
- 2 Windfuhr JP, Remmert S. Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma: etiology, incidence and management. Acta Otolaryngol 2004; 124 (8) 880-889
- 3 Nomura K, Shimomura A, Awataguchi T, Murakami K, Kobayashi T. A case of angiofibroma originating from the inferior nasal turbinate. Auris Nasus Larynx 2006; 33 (2) 191-193
- 4 Celik B, Erisen L, Saraydaroglu O, Coskun H. Atypical angiofibromas: a report of four cases. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2005; 69 (3) 415-421
- 5 Taggarshe D, Quraishi MS, Dugar JM. Inferior turbinate angiofibroma: an atypical presentation [correction of preservation]. Rhinology 2004; 42 (1) 45-47
- 6 Gaffney R, Hui Y, Vojvodich S, Forte V. Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma of the inferior turbinate. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 1997; 40 (2–3) 177-180
- 7 Lee JH, Jeong HM. Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma originating in the inferior turbinate. Ear Nose Throat J 2013; 92 (9) E31-E32
- 8 Baptista MAFB, Pinna FR, Voegels RL. Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma originating in the inferior turbinate: a distinct clinical entity at an unusual site. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2014; 18: 403-405
- 9 Huang RY, Damrose EJ, Blackwell KE, Cohen AN, Calcaterra TC. Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2000; 56 (1) 59-64
- 10 Somdas MA, Ketenci I, Unlu Y, Canoz O, Guney E. Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma originating from the nasal septum. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2005; 133 (4) 647
- 11 Dere H, Ozcan KM, Ergul G, Bahar S, Ozcan I, Kulacoglu S. Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma of the cheek. J Laryngol Otol 2006; 120 (2) 141-144
- 12 Tasca I, Compadretti GC. Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma of nasal septum. A controversial entity. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 2008; 28 (6) 312-314
- 13 Mohindra S, Grover G, Bal AK. Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma of the nasal septum: a case report. Ear Nose Throat J 2009; 88 (11) E17-E19
- 14 Tsunoda A, Kohda H, Ishikawa N, Komatsuzaki A. Juvenile angiofibroma limited to the sphenoid sinus. J Otolaryngol 1998; 27 (1) 37-39
- 15 Steele MH, Nuss DW, Faust BF. Angiofibroma of the larynx: report of a case with clinical and pathologic literature review. Head Neck 2002; 24 (8) 805-809
- 16 Handa KK, Kumar A, Singh MK, Chhabra AH. Extranasopharyngeal angiofibroma arising from the nasal septum. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2001; 58 (2) 163-166
- 17 Perić A, Baletić N, Cerović S, Vukomanović-Durdević B. Middle turbinate angiofibroma in an elderly woman. Vojnosanit Pregl 2009; 66 (7) 583-586
- 18 Kang JW, Kim YH, Kim JH. Angiofibroma of inferior turbinate as an unusual complication of CO2 laser turbinoplasty. J Craniofac Surg 2013; 24 (5) e513-e514