Subscribe to RSS
Differential Diagnosis and Treatment of Isolated Pathologies of the Sphenoid Sinus: Retrospective Study of 46 Cases
06 October 2014
01 November 2014
28 January 2015 (online)
Introduction Isolated disease of the sphenoid is rare and has often been overlooked due to its remote location and difficult access.
Objective A retrospective study of the main causes of isolated sphenoid sinus diseases with discussion of the most appropriate methods of diagnosis and treatment.
Methods A total of 46 cases of isolated sphenoid disease treated between January 2008 and December 2013 were evaluated by objective ear, nose, and throat examination and video endoscopy, computed tomography of the paranasal sinuses, and, in some cases, magnetic resonance imaging. In each case, we decided between drug and/or endoscopic treatment.
Results We identified 12 cases of isolated sphenoiditis (26.1%), 3 cases of fungal sphenoiditis (6.5%), 3 cases of sphenochoanal polyps (6.5%), 22 cases of mucocele (47.8%), 2 cases of cerebrospinal fluid leak (4.3%), and 1 case each of meningoencephalocele (2.1%), inverted papilloma (2.1%), fibrous dysplasia (2.1%), and squamous cell carcinoma (2.1%).
Conclusion A prevalence of inflammatory and infectious diseases was found, and endoscopic surgery for the sphenoid sinus approach is effective in treating various diseases of the isolated sphenoid, whether complicated or not.
- 1 Grillone GA, Kasznica P. Isolated sphenoid sinus disease. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 2004; 37 (2) 435-451
- 2 Lew D, Southwick FS, Montgomery WW, Weber AL, Baker AS. Sphenoid sinusitis. A review of 30 cases. N Engl J Med 1983; 309 (19) 1149-1154
- 3 Hnatuk LAP, Macdonald RE, Papsin BC. Isolated sphenoid sinusitis: the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children experience and review of the literature. J Otolaryngol 1994; 23 (1) 36-41
- 4 Metson R, Gliklich RE. Endoscopic treatment of sphenoid sinusitis. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1996; 114 (6) 736-744
- 5 Martin TJ, Smith TL, Smith MM, Loehrl TA. Evaluation and surgical management of isolated sphenoid sinus disease. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2002; 128 (12) 1413-1419
- 6 Mra Z, Roach JC, Brook AL. Infectious and neoplastic diseases of the sphenoid sinus—a report of 10 cases. Rhinology 2002; 40 (1) 34-40
- 7 Castelnuovo P, Pagella F, Semino L, De Bernardi F, Delù G. Endoscopic treatment of the isolated sphenoid sinus lesions. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2005; 262 (2) 142-147
- 8 Socher JA, Cassano M, Filheiro CA, Cassano P, Felippu A. Diagnosis and treatment of isolated sphenoid sinus disease: a review of 109 cases. Acta Otolaryngol 2008; 128 (9) 1004-1010