Massive Plexiform Neurofibroma of the Neck and Larynx
22 October 2014
10 November 2014
12 December 2014 (online)
Introduction Laryngeal neurofibromas are extremely rare, accounting for only 0.03 to 0.1% of benign tumors of the larynx.
Objectives To report the first case of massive neck plexiform neurofibroma with intralaryngeal (supraglottic) extension in a 5-year-old boy with neurofibromatosis type 1 and to describe its treatment.
Resumed Report This massive plexiform neurofibroma was surgically removed, relieving its significant respiratory obstructive symptoms without recurrence to date.
Conclusion Massive neck plexiform neurofibroma with supraglottic part was found in a child with neurofibromatosis type 1; it should be included in differential diagnosis of stridor and neck mass in children. It was diagnosed and removed in early in childhood without recurrence.
- 1 Liu J, Wong CF, Lim F, Kanagalingam J. Glottic neurofibroma in an elderly patient: a case report. J Voice 2013; 27 (5) 644-646
- 2 Hartley N, Rajesh A, Verma R, Sinha R, Sandrasegaran K. Abdominal manifestations of neurofibromatosis. J Comput Assist Tomogr 2008; 32 (1) 4-8
- 3 Holt GR. E.N.T. manifestations of Von Recklinghausen's disease. Laryngoscope 1978; 88 (10) 1617-1632
- 4 Ji Y, Xu B, Wang X, Liu W, Chen S. Surgical treatment of giant plexiform neurofibroma associated with pectus excavatum. J Cardiothorac Surg 2011; 6: 119
- 5 Davey S, McNally J. A case of an ectopic cervical thymic cyst. Case reports in clinical medicine 2013; 2 (2) 152-153
- 6 Ferner RE, Huson SM, Thomas N , et al. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of individuals with neurofibromatosis 1. J Med Genet 2007; 44 (2) 81-88
- 7 Hollinger PH, Cohen LL. Neurofibromatosis (von Recklinghausen's disease) with involvement of the larynx: report of a case. Laryngoscope 1950; 60: 193-196
- 8 Moussali N, Belmoukari S, Elmahfoudi H, Elbenna N, Abdelouafi A, Gharbi A. [An uncommon cause of dyspnea in children. Plexiform neurofibroma of the larynx]. Arch Pediatr 2013; 20 (6) 629-632
- 9 Patil K, Mahima VG, Shetty SK, Lahari K. Facial plexiform neurofibroma in a child with neurofibromatosis type I: a case report. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2007; 25 (1) 30-35
- 10 Chen YW, Fang TJ, Li HY. A solitary laryngeal neurofibroma in a pediatric patient. Chang Gung Med J 2004; 27 (12) 930-933
- 11 Washington EN, Placket TP, Gagliano RA, Kavolius J, Person DA. Diffuse plexiform neurofibroma of the back: report of a case. Hawaii Med J 2010; 69 (8) 191-193
- 12 Asha'ari ZA, Kahairi A, Shahid H. Surgery for massive paediatric head and neck neurofibroma: two case reports. The International Medical Journal Malaysia 2012; 11 (2) 54-57
- 13 Ransom ER, Yoon C, Manolidis S. Single stage near total resection of massive pediatric head and neck plexiform neurofibromas. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2006; 70 (6) 1055-1061
- 14 Gutmann DH. Recent insights into neurofibromatosis type 1: clear genetic progress. Arch Neurol 1998; 55 (6) 778-780
- 15 Riga M, Katotomichelakis M, Papazi T, Tsirogianni O, Danielides V. Supraglottic laryngeal neurofibroma treated with transoral LASER surgery; a case report and review of the literature. Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2012; 48: 26-28
- 16 Rosen FS, Pou AM, Quinn Jr FB. Obstructive supraglottic schwannoma: a case report and review of the literature. Laryngoscope 2002; 112 (6) 997-1002
- 17 North KN. Neurofibromatosis 1 in childhood. Semin Pediatr Neurol 1998; 5 (4) 231-242