Is Local Anesthesia the Optimum Strategy in Retrograde Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
13 January 2014
20 May 2014
01 August 2014 (eFirst)
Background Retrograde transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) can be performed under local anesthesia (LA) or general anesthesia (GA); however, a wide variation in practice exists.
Methods PubMed was searched between 2009 and 2013. Data were extracted from eligible studies. Random-effects meta-analysis was performed using DerSimonian Laird between-study variance.
Results There was no statistically significant difference identified between groups based on age or EuroSCORE. There was no statistically significant difference seen in all-cause mortality, or complication rates between groups. Mean procedural duration was 36 minutes shorter in the LA group (p = 0.001). There was increased vasopressor use in the GA group (odds ratio 3.92; p = 0.017). Mean hospital stay was 3.41 days shorter in the LA group (p = 0.018).
Conclusion Results suggest that the use of LA for retrograde TAVI is feasible. There are several potential benefits associated, shorter procedural duration, and hospital stay with lower vasopressor requirements. Further studies and randomized trials are mandatory to confirm the presented findings and to identify those patients for whom LA would be appropriate.
- 1 Mylotte D, Osnabrugge RL, Windecker S , et al. Transcatheter aortic valve replacement in Europe: adoption trends and factors influencing device utilization. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 62 (3) 210-219
- 2 Bufton KA, Augoustides JG, Cobey FC. Anesthesia for transfemoral aortic valve replacement in North America and Europe. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2013; 27 (1) 46-49
- 3 Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J , et al. The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration. PLoS Med 2009; 6 (7) e1000100
- 4 Dünser MW, Hasibeder WR. Sympathetic overstimulation during critical illness: adverse effects of adrenergic stress. J Intensive Care Med 2009; 24 (5) 293-316
- 5 Motloch LJ, Rottlaender D, Reda S , et al. Local versus general anesthesia for transfemoral aortic valve implantation. Clin Res Cardiol 2012; 101 (1) 45-53
- 6 Covello RD, Ruggeri L, Landoni G , et al. Transcatheter implantation of an aortic valve: anesthesiological management. Minerva Anestesiol 2010; 76 (2) 100-108
- 7 Bufton KA, Augoustides JG, Cobey FC. Anesthesia for transfemoral aortic valve replacement in North America and Europe. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2013; 27 (1) 46-49
- 8 Vaniyapong T, Chongruksut W, Rerkasem K. Local versus general anaesthesia for carotid endarterectomy. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013; 12: CD000126
- 9 Chevreul K, Brunn M, Cadier B , et al FRANCE registry investigators. Cost of transcatheter aortic valve implantation and factors associated with higher hospital stay cost in patients of the FRANCE (FRench Aortic National CoreValve and Edwards) registry. Arch Cardiovasc Dis 2013; 106 (4) 209-219
- 10 Yamamoto M, Meguro K, Mouillet G , et al. Effect of local anesthetic management with conscious sedation in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve implantation. Am J Cardiol 2013; 111 (1) 94-99
- 11 Deryck YL, Brimioulle S, Maggiorini M, de Canniere D, Naeije R. Systemic vascular effects of isoflurane versus propofol anesthesia in dogs. Anesth Analg 1996; 83 (5) 958-964
- 12 Dorantes-Mendez G, Aletti F, Toschi N , et al. Effects of propofol anesthesia induction on the relationship between arterial blood pressure and heart rate. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2012; 2012: 2835-2838
- 13 Ioannou CV, Stergiopulos N, Georgakarakos E, Chatzimichali E, Katsamouris AN, Morel DR. Effects of isoflurane anesthesia on aortic compliance and systemic hemodynamics in compliant and noncompliant aortas. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 2013; 27 (6) 1282-1288
- 14 Bergmann L, Kahlert P, Eggebrecht H, Frey U, Peters J, Kottenberg E. Transfemoral aortic valve implantation under sedation and monitored anaesthetic care—a feasibility study. Anaesthesia 2011; 66 (11) 977-982
- 15 Durand E, Borz B, Godin M , et al. Transfemoral aortic valve replacement with the Edwards SAPIEN and Edwards SAPIEN XT prosthesis using exclusively local anesthesia and fluoroscopic guidance: feasibility and 30-day outcomes. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2012; 5 (5) 461-467