Successful Use of a Left Ventricular Apical Access and Closure Device for Second-Generation Transapical Aortic Valve Implantation
06 February 2014
04 April 2014
09 June 2014 (eFirst)
Background Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) has become routine for the treatment of high-risk patients with aortic stenosis. We assessed safety and feasibility of a left ventricular apical access and closure device combined with second-generation transapical (TA) TAVI transcatheter heart valves (THV).
Methods and Results Three elderly, comorbid patients (logEuroSCORE I 13.0–31.1%) received transapical aortic valve implantation (TA-AVI) via the Apica ASC device (Apica Cardiovascular Ltd., Galway, Ireland) using second-generation THV (Medtronic Engager [Medtronic 3F Therapeutics, Santa Ana, California, United States], JenaValve [JenaValve Technology GmbH, Munich, Germany], Symetis Acurate [Symetis S.A., Ecublens, Switzerland]). Access was gained using a non–rib-spreading technique and a novel access and closure device. THV deployment was successful with excellent hemodynamic outcome (no PVL, n = 2; trace PVL, n = 1; mean transvalvular gradients, 5–19 mm Hg) and complete apical hemostasis. No periprocedural major adverse events occurred and Valve Academic Research Consortium-2–defined composite end point of device success was met in all cases.
Conclusion Safety and feasibility of TA-AVI using the ASC device with second-generation THV was demonstrated. Combining latest available technology is a major step toward improved functional outcome and decreased surgical trauma in TA-AVI. Potentially, technical enhancements may eventually pave the way toward a fully percutaneous TA-AVI procedure.
- 1 Leon MB, Smith CR, Mack M , et al; PARTNER Trial Investigators. Transcatheter aortic-valve implantation for aortic stenosis in patients who cannot undergo surgery. N Engl J Med 2010; 363 (17) 1597-1607
- 2 Smith CR, Leon MB, Mack MJ , et al; PARTNER Trial Investigators. Transcatheter versus surgical aortic-valve replacement in high-risk patients. N Engl J Med 2011; 364 (23) 2187-2198
- 3 Conradi L, Seiffert M, Blankenberg S, Reichenspurner H, Diemert P, Treede H. What's new in transapical aortic valve implantation: clinical experience with second generation devices. Minerva Cardioangiol 2013; 61 (3) 341-349
- 4 Conradi L, Seiffert M, Schirmer J , et al. Transapical transcatheter aortic valve implantation without prior balloon aortic valvuloplasty: feasible and safe. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2013;
- 5 Conradi L, Holzhey D, Kempfert J , et al. Transapical transcatheter aortic valve implantation using a sutureless access and closure device: 6-months results of the multi-center CE mark study. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2013; 62 (Suppl. 01) S136
- 6 Sündermann SH, Holzhey D, Bleiziffer S, Treede H, Falk V. Medtronic Engager™ bioprosthesis for transapical transcatheter aortic valve implantation. EuroIntervention 2013; 9 (Suppl): S97-S100
- 7 Treede H, Rastan A, Ferrari M, Ensminger S, Figulla HR, Mohr FW. JenaValve. EuroIntervention 2012; 8 (Suppl Q ): Q88-Q93
- 8 Kempfert J, Möllmann H, Walther T. Symetis ACURATE TA valve. EuroIntervention 2012; 8 (Suppl Q ): Q102-Q109
- 9 Blumenstein J, Kempfert J, Van Linden A , et al. First-in-man evaluation of the transapical APICA ASC™ access and closure device: the initial 10 patients. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2013; 44 (6) 1057-1062 , discussion 1062
- 10 Kappetein AP, Head SJ, Généreux P , et al. Updated standardized endpoint definitions for transcatheter aortic valve implantation: the Valve Academic Research Consortium-2 consensus document. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012; 60 (15) 1438-1454
- 11 Thomas M, Schymik G, Walther T , et al. Thirty-day results of the SAPIEN aortic Bioprosthesis European Outcome (SOURCE) Registry: A European registry of transcatheter aortic valve implantation using the Edwards SAPIEN valve. Circulation 2010; 122 (1) 62-69
- 12 Walther T, Thielmann M, Kempfert J , et al. PREVAIL TRANSAPICAL: multicentre trial of transcatheter aortic valve implantation using the newly designed bioprosthesis (SAPIEN-XT) and delivery system (ASCENDRA-II). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2012; 42 (2) 278-283 , discussion 283
- 13 Kempfert J, Rastan A, Holzhey D , et al. The learning curve associated with transapical aortic valve implantation. Ann Cardiothorac Surg 2012; 1 (2) 165-171