Drug Res (Stuttg) 2015; 65(3): 164-168
DOI: 10.1055/s-0034-1376964
Original Article
© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York

A Prospective Research Study of Anti-Glaucoma Drugs Prescribing, Utilization Pattern and Adverse Drug Reaction Recording in a University Hospital

M. Alaei
1  Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard (Hamdard University), New Delhi, India
,
A. K. Najmi
1  Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard (Hamdard University), New Delhi, India
,
H. Kausar
2  Hakim Abdul Hameed Centenary Hospital, New Delhi, India
,
M. Akhtar
1  Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jamia Hamdard (Hamdard University), New Delhi, India
› Institutsangaben
Weitere Informationen

Publikationsverlauf

received 11. März 2014

accepted 03. Mai 2014

Publikationsdatum:
28. Mai 2014 (online)

Abstract

Objective: This study was carried out to evaluate the drug prescribing, utilization pattern and adverse drug reactions recording associated with drugs prescribed to glaucoma patients.

Materials and Methods: A total of 50 glaucoma patients were included in the study, based on inclusion and exclusion criteria. All the observations were recorded in drug utilization and ADR recording documentation form.

Results: Out of 50 patients suffering from glaucoma, 38 patients (76%) were diagnosed open angle glaucoma, 4 patients (8%) closed angle glaucoma and 8 patients (16%) post-operative respectively. There were 19 patients (38%) males and 31 patients (62%) were females. The age range between 41–50 years had the maximum number of patients 15 (30%). A total of 17 patients (34%) had family history of glaucoma. Timolol was prescribed to 34 patients (68%), followed by dorzolamide 18 patients (36%) and acetazolamide 14 patients (28%). A total of 32 patients (64%) were prescribed single drug therapy whereas 18 patients (36%) were on multiple drug therapy. A total of 25 patients (50%) reported ADR. In the present study, latanoprost was associated with maximum number of ADRs 9 patients (18%) followed by acetazolamide 7 patients (14%), dorzolamide 4 patients (8%), then timolol 3 patients (6%) and pilocarpine 2 patients (4%). According to Naranjo scale, in 6 patients (24%) the ADR were unlikely, 12 patients (48%) were given possible score, 3 patients (12%) were given probable score, and 4 patients (16%) were given definite scores.

Conclusion: In the present study, the maximum patients were in the age group of 41–50 years. The most commonly prescribed drugs were timolol followed by dorzolamide, acetazolamide. Latanoprost was associated with maximum number of ADRs.