A Case of Adenomyosis of the Uterus
05 June 2014 (online)
Uterine adenomyosis is considered benign and even though not a life-threatening condition, the frequent pain and heavy bleeding associated with it can have a negative impact on a womanʼs quality of life. This is a condition seen with higher frequency in women with a history of surgical uterine procedures (e.g., Caesarean section, dilatation and curettage). The only definitive cure for adenomyosis is a hysterectomy. This is often the treatment of choice for women with significant symptoms. This surgical intervention can be avoided through homeopathic treatment. A case of uterine adenomyosis in a twenty-seven-year-old female who presented with continuous heavy bleeding showed the efficacy of homeopathic medicines in giving not only symptomatic relief to the patient but also helping in the complete cure of the adenomyosis of the uterus.
- 1 Ferenczy A. Pathophysiology of adenomyosis. Hum Reprod Update 1998; 4: 312-322
- 2 Emge LA. The elusive adenomyosis of the uterus: its historical past and its present state of recognition. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1962; 83: 1541-1563
- 3 Kilkku P, Erkkola R, Gronroos M. Non-specificity of symptoms related to adenomyosis, a prospective comparative survey. Acta Obstet Gyn Scan 1984; 63: 229-231
- 4 McCausland AM. Hysteroscopic myometrial biopsy: its use in diagnosing adenomyosis and its clinical application. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1992; 166: 1619-1626
- 5 Fedele L, Bianchi S, Dorta M et al. Transvaginal ultrasonography in the diagnosis of diffuse adenomyosis. Fertil Steril 1992; 58: 94-97
- 6 Arora A, Bhutani R, Gupta R et al. MRI findings in uterine adenomyosis – Case 8488; 2010, European Society of radiology teaching files, radiological case database. Online: http://www.eurorad.org/case.php?id=8488 [accessed May 1, 2014]
- 7 van Zandvoort R. Complete Repertory. In Hompath Classic 8.0; 2000 – 2005, by Shah Jawahar, West Mumbai.
- 8 McCausland AM. Hysteroscopic myometrial biopsy: its use in diagnosing adenomyosis and its clinical implication. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1992; 166: 1619-1626
- 9 Stewart EA. Uterine fibroids. Lancet 2001; 357: 293-298
- 10 Boericke W. Trillium Pendulum. New Manual of Homoeopathic Materia Medica and Repertory. New Delhi: B. Jain (P) Ltd; 2001. 463. 628-629
- 11 Allen HC. Genitalia Female. H.C. Allenʼs Key Notes and Characteristics with Comparisons with Bowel Nosodes. New Delhi: B. Jain (P) Ltd.; 2004: 295-296
- 12 Allen JH. The Chronic Miasm Psora and Pseudopsora. New Delhi: B. Jain (P) Ltd.; 1988: 37
- 13 Skinner T. The Diseases of Females. New Delhi: B. Jain (P) Ltd.; 1997: 131