Möbius Syndrome: Misoprostol Use and Speech and Language Characteristics
13 January 2013
23 August 2013
21 March 2014 (online)
Introduction Möbius syndrome (MS; VI and VII palsy) is a rare disease that in Brazil has a great frequency because of the use of misoprostol during pregnancy.
Objective Verify if the speech and language performance of children with MS whose mothers reported use of misoprostol (Cytotec, Pfizer, Connecticut, USA) are different from the performance of children of mothers who did not report use.
Methods The stomatognathic system beyond receptive and expressive language and speech was evaluated in children with MS, and their mothers were questioned whether they used misoprostol during the pregnancy.
Results During the interview, 61.11% of mothers reported that they took misoprostol during the pregnancy. Most of the subjects (83.3%) whose mothers took misoprostol presented bilateral palsy beyond bad mobility of the tongue (90.9%) and speech disorders (63.6%).
Conclusion The number of mothers who took misoprostol without knowing the risk for MS was great. The lack of facial expressions and speech disorders were common characteristics of the individuals with MS, whether the mothers took misoprostol during the pregnancy or not.
- 1 Allen BM, Wert MA, Tatum SA. Congenital unilateral multiple cranial neuropathy: an etiology shared with Mobius syndrome?. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2006; 70 (5) 931-934
- 2 Fons-Estupiñá MC, Póo P, Colomer J, Campistol J. Secuencia de Moebius: hallazgos clinicorradiológicos. Rev Neurol 2007; 44 (10) 583-588
- 3 Slimani F, Hamzy R, Allali B, Zaghloul K, Benjelloun A, Chekkoury-Idrissi A. Möbius syndrome. Rev Stomatol Chir Maxillofac 2010; 11 (5–6) 299-301
- 4 Dumars S, Andrews C, Chan WM, Engle EC, Demer JL. Magnetic resonance imaging of the endophenotype of a novel familial Möbius-like syndrome. J AAPOS 2008; 12 (4) 381-389
- 5 Pastuszak AL, Schüler L, Speck-Martins CE , et al. Use of misoprostol during pregnancy and Möbius' syndrome in infants. N Engl J Med 1998; 338 (26) 1881-1885
- 6 Almeida MBV, Brandt CT, Lima JA , et al. A incidência de anomalias ortopédicas em portadores da seqüência de Möbius e sua associação com o uso do misoprostol. Rev Bras Ortop 2007; 42 (1/2) 10-16
- 7 Bos-Thompson MA, Hillaire-Buys D, Roux C, Faillie JL, Amram D. Möbius syndrome in a neonate after mifepristone and misoprostol elective abortion failure. Ann Pharmacother 2008; 42 (6) 888-892
- 8 Miller MT, Ventura L, Strömland K. Thalidomide and misoprostol: Ophthalmologic manifestations and associations both expected and unexpected. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 2009; 85 (8) 667-676
- 9 Abramson DL, Cohen Jr MM, Mulliken JB. Möbius syndrome: classification and grading system. Plast Reconstr Surg 1998; 102 (4) 961-967
- 10 Huang HT, Hwang CW, Lai PH, Chen CC. Möbius syndrome as a syndrome of rhombencephalic maldevelopment: a case report. Pediatr Neonatol 2009; 50 (1) 36-38
- 11 Roig Quilis M. Brainstem dysgenesis: Möbius, Cogan and Pierre Robin syndromes revisited. An Pediatr (Barc) 2005; 62 (4) 346-351
- 12 Terzis JK, Karypidis D. Direct tongue neurotization: the effect on speech intelligibility in patients with Möbius syndrome. Plast Reconstr Surg 2010; 125 (1) 150-160
- 13 Von Berg S, McColl D, Brancamp T. Moebius syndrome: measures of observer intelligibility with versus without visual cues in bilateral facial paralysis. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2007; 44 (5) 518-522
- 14 Albuquerque TCAL, Barreto RRS, Costa TCCM, Guedes ZCF. Sequência de Möbius: protocolo de anamnese e avaliação—relato de caso. Rev. Soc Bras Fonol 2009; 14 (1) 115-122
- 15 Sena M, Ventura L, Miller M, de Almeida HC, Leal DB, Brandt CT. Perfil sócio demográfico e gestacional de indivíduos com a seqüência de Möbius An. . Fac Med Univ Fed Pernamb 2003; 48 (1) 36-41
- 16 Limongi SCO, Boari C, Silva DRA, Brigagão GM, Moraes LMS, Toledo L , et al. Intervenção fonoaudiológica precoce na Seqüência de Möebius: relato de caso. Pro Fono 1996; 8 (2) 55-61
- 17 Briegel W, Schimek M, Knapp D, Holderbach R, Wenzel P, Knapp EM. Cognitive evaluation in children and adolescents with Möbius sequence. Child Care Health Dev 2009; 35 (5) 650-655
- 18 Dooley JM, Stewart WA, Hayden JD, Therrien A. Brainstem calcification in Möbius syndrome. Pediatr Neurol 2004; 30 (1) 39-41