Temporal Resolution Ability in Students with Dyslexia and Reading and Writing Disorders
06 September 2013
17 September 2013
06 January 2014 (online)
Introduction The Gaps-in-Noise (GIN) test assesses the hearing ability of temporal resolution. The development of this ability can be considered essential for learning how to read.
Objective Identify temporal resolution in individuals diagnosed with reading and writing disorders compared with subjects with dyslexia.
Methods A sample of 26 subjects of both genders, age 10 to 15 years, included 11 diagnosed with dyslexia and 15 diagnosed with reading and writing disorders. Subjects did not display otologic, neurologic, and/or cognitive diseases. A control group of 30 normal-hearing subjects was formed to compare thresholds and percentages obtained from the GIN test. The responses were obtained considering two measures of analysis: the threshold gap and the percentage of correct gap.
Results The threshold was lower in the GIN for the typical group than for the other groups. There was no difference between groups with dyslexia and with reading and writing disorders. The GIN results of the typical group revealed a higher percentage of correct answer than in the other groups. No difference was obtained between the groups with dyslexia and with reading and writing disorders.
Conclusion The GIN test identified a difficulty in auditory ability of temporal resolution in individuals with reading and writing disorders and in individuals with dyslexia in a similar way.
- 1 Leitner DS, Hammond GR, Springer CP , et al. Parameters affecting gap detection in the rat. Percept Psychophys 1993; 54 (3) 395-405
- 2 Eggermont JJ. Neural responses in primary auditory cortex mimic psychophysical, across-frequency-channel, gap-detection thresholds. J Neurophysiol 2000; 84 (3) 1453-1463
- 3 Zaidan E, Garcia AP, Tedesco MLF, Baran JA. Performance of normal oung adults in two temporal resolution tests. Pro Fono 2008; 20 (1) 19-24
- 4 Nicholas JG, Geers AE. Effects of early auditory experience on the spoken language of deaf children at 3 years of age. Ear Hear 2006; 27 (3) 286-298
- 5 Trehub SE, Henderson JL. Temporal resolution in infancy and subsequent language development. J Speech Hear Res 1996; 39 (6) 1315-1320
- 6 Lubert N. Auditory perceptual impairments in children with specific language disorders: a review of the literature. J Speech Hear Disord 1981; 46 (1) 1-9
- 7 Amaral MI, Colella Santos MF. Temporal resolution: performance of school-aged children in the GIN -Gaps-in-noise test. Braz J Otorhinolarngol 2010; . Nov-Dec; 76 (6) 745-52
- 8 Temple E, Poldrack RA, Salidis J , et al. Disrupted neural responses to phonological and orthographic processing in dyslexic children: an fMRI study. Neuroreport 2001; 12 (2) 299-307
- 9 World Health Organization. ICD-10: The International Classification of Diseases. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization; 1993
- 10 Santos MTM, Navas ALP. Terapia da linguagem escrita. In: Distúrbios de leitura e escrita: teoria e prática. Barueri, Brazil: Manole; 2002: 191-223
- 11 Perez AP, Pereira LD. The Gap in Noise test in 11 and 12 year-old children. Pro Fono 2010; Jan-Mar, 22 (1) 7-12
- 12 Musiek FE, Zaidan EP, Baran JA, Shinn JB, Jirsa RE. Assessing temporal processes in adults with LD: the GIN test. In: American Academy of Audiology Convention. March-April. 2004. Salt Lake City. Annals Salt Lake City. UT: April 2, 2004:203pp
- 13 Boscariol M, Guimarães CA, Hage SRV, Cendes F, Guerreiro MM. Temporal auditory processing: correlation with developmental dyslexia and cortical malformation. Pro Fono 2010; 22 (4) 537-42
- 14 Simões MB, Schochat E. (Central) auditory processing disorders in individuals with and without dyslexia. Pro Fono 2010; 22 (4) 521-4
- 15 Talcott JB, Witton C, McLean MF , et al. Dynamic sensory sensitivity and children's word decoding skills. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000; 97 (6) 2952-2957
- 16 Zaidan E, Baran JA. Gaps-in-noise (GIN) test results in children with and without reading disabilities and phonological processing deficits. Int J Audiol 2013; Feb, 52 (2) 113-23
- 17 Chermak GD, Lee J. Comparison of children's performance on four test of temporal resolution. J Am Acad Audiol 2005; Sep; 16 (8) 554-63
- 18 Murphy CFB, Schochat E. Correlations between reading, phonological awareness and auditory temporal processing. Pro Fono 2009; 21 (1) 13-8
- 19 Samelli AG, Schochat E. The gaps-in-noise test: gap detection thresholds in normal-hearing young adults. Int J Audiol 2008; 47 (5) 238-245
- 20 Amaral MIR, Colella-Santos MF. Temporal resolution: performance of school-aged children in the GIN—gaps-in-noise test. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2010; 76 (6) 745-752