Atypical Manifestation of Vestibular Schwannoma
05 February 2012
22 April 2012
13 September 2013 (online)
Introduction Vestibular schwannoma (also known as acoustic neuroma) is a benign tumor whose cells are derived from Schwann sheaths, which commonly occurs from the vestibular portion of the eighth cranial nerve. Furthermore, vestibular schwannomas account for ∼8% of intracranial tumors in adults and 80 to 90% of tumors of the cerebellopontine angle. Its symptoms are varied, but what stands out most is a unilateral sensorineural hearing loss, with a low index of speech recognition.
Objective Describe an atypical manifestation of vestibular schwannoma.
Case Report The 46-year-old woman had vertigo and binaural hearing loss and fullness, with ear, nose, and throat examination suggestive of cochlear injury. After 6 months, the patient developed worsening of symptoms and onset of right unilateral tinnitus. In further exams the signs of cochlear damage remained, except for the vestibular test (hyporeflexia). Magnetic resonance imaging showed an expansive lesion in the right cerebellopontine angle.
Discussion This report warns about the atypical manifestations of vestibular schwannoma, which must always be remembered in investigating and diagnosing hearing loss.
- 1 Park JK, Black PM, Vernick DM, Ramakrishna N. Vestibular schwannoma (acoustic neuroma). Available at: http://www.uptodate.com/contents/vestibular-schwannoma-acoustic-neuroma . Accessed January 28, 2012
- 2 Zanoni A, Cruz OLM. Schwannoma vestibular. In: Ganança FF, Ponte P, , eds. Manual de otorrinolaringologia e cirurgia de cabeça e pescoço. 1st ed. São Paulo, Brazil: Editora Manole; 2011: 577-589
- 3 Lin D, Hegarty JL, Fischbein NJ, Jackler RK. The prevalence of “incidental” acoustic neuroma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2005; 131: 241-244
- 4 Swensson RC, Swensson RP, Pizzini FEC, Boldorini PR, Jorge Júnior JJ. An uncommon presentation of a VIII nerve tumor. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2008; 74: 628-631
- 5 Coca Pelaz A, Rodrigo JP, Llorente JL, Gómez JR, Suárez C. [Unusual clinical presentations of vestibular schwannomas]. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 2008; 59: 187-189