Subscribe to RSS
Vascular Leiomyoma and Geniculate Ganglion
21 December 2012
10 March 2013
09 May 2013 (online)
Objectives Discussion of a rare case of angioleiomyoma involving the geniculate ganglion and the intratemporal facial nerve segment and its surgical treatment.
Design Case report.
Setting Presence of an expansive lesion englobing the geniculate ganglion without any lesion to the cerebellopontine angle.
Participants A 45-year-old man with a grade III facial paralysis according to the House-Brackmann scale of evaluation.
Main Outcomes Measure Surgical pathology, radiologic appearance, histological features, and postoperative facial function.
Results Removal of the entire lesion was achieved, preserving the anatomic integrity of the nerve; no nerve graft was necessary. Postoperative histology and immunohistochemical studies revealed features indicative of solid vascular leiomyoma.
Conclusion Angioleiomyoma should be considered in the differential diagnosis of geniculate ganglion lesions. Optimal postoperative facial function is possible only by preserving the anatomical and functional integrity of the facial nerve.
- 1 Stout AP. Solitary cutaneous and subcutaneous leiomyoma. Am J Cancer 1937; 29: 435-469
- 2 Karagama YG, Bridges LR, van Hille PT. Angioleiomyoma of the internal auditory meatus: a rare occurrence in the internal auditory canal. Ear Nose Throat J 2005; 84 (4) 216-218 , 218
- 3 Pepper JP, McKeever P, Gebarski S, Spector M, Thompson BG, Arts HA. Angioleiomyoma of the internal auditory canal: clinical and radiographic features. Otol Neurotol 2010; 31 (9) 1451-1454
- 4 Wang CP, Chang YL, Sheen TS. Vascular leiomyoma of the head and neck. Laryngoscope 2004; 114 (4) 661-665
- 5 Morimoto N. Angiomyoma (vascular leiomyoma): a clinic-pathologic study. Med J Kagoshima Univ 1973; 24: 663-683
- 6 Magliulo G, Alla FR, Colicchio G, Trasimeni G. Geniculate ganglion meningioma. Skull Base 2010; 20 (3) 185-188
- 7 Falcioni M, Russo A, Taibah A, Sanna M. Facial nerve tumors. Otol Neurotol 2003; 24 (6) 942-947
- 8 Symon L, Cheesman AD, Kawauchi M, Bordi L. Neuromas of the facial nerve: a report of 12 cases. Br J Neurosurg 1993; 7 (1) 13-22
- 9 González García JA, Arenas Brítez O, Gil Carrasco R, Lendoiro Otero C, Rodríguez Paramás A, Scola Yurrita B. [Geniculate ganglion tumors. Therapeutic and reconstructive management]. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp 2004; 55 (5) 206-211
- 10 Yamaki T, Morimoto S, Ohtaki M , et al. Intracranial facial nerve neurinoma: surgical strategy of tumor removal and functional reconstruction. Surg Neurol 1998; 49 (5) 538-546
- 11 Magliulo G, D'Amico R, Forino M. Results and complications of facial reanimation following cerebellopontine angle surgery. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2001; 258 (1) 45-48