16. April 2013 (online)
The ability to endure tellurium–metal exchange with retention of the double bond configuration, allowing the formation of new carbon–carbon bonds in a very selective way, makes vinylic tellurides a promising class of compounds in organic synthesis.
For the preparation of Z-vinylic tellurides, the most convenient and widely used method is the hydrotelluration of alkynes. It differs from other hydrometallations in that it occurs through anti-addition of the tellurolate anion to the triple bond of the terminal alkyne, the regioselectivity being dependent on the nature of the alkyne source.
Due to the simple preparation and purification procedures of vinylic tellurides compared to other organometallic reagents, the application of this class of compounds to the synthesis of biologic active compounds, as well as the study of their toxicological and pharmacological aspects, has experienced an exponential growth in the last years.
In addition, vinylic tellurides are air-stable and can be easily handled or stored for long periods; unlike Grignard or organolithium reagents.
- 1 Zeni G, Menezes PH. Vinylic Tellurides . In Patai Series of Functional Groups . Rappoport Z. Wiley; Chichester: 2012
- 2a Freitas JC. R, Palmeira DJ, Oliveira RA, Menezes PH, Silva RO. Magn. Reson. Chem. 2012; 50: 481
- 2b Oliveira JM, Palmeira DJ, Comasseto JV, Menezes PH. J. Braz. Chem. Soc. 2010; 21: 362
- 3a Oliveira JM, Freitas JC. R, Comasseto JV, Menezes PH. Tetrahedron 2011; 67: 3003
- 3b Wendler EP, Dos Santos AA. Synlett 2009; 1034
- 4 Nogueira CW, Rocha JB. T. Organoselenium and Organotellurium Compounds: Toxicology and Pharmacology. In Patai Series of Functional Groups. Rappoport Z. Wiley; Chichester: 2012
- 5a Schneider CC, Caldeira H, Gay BM, Back DF, Zeni G. Org. Lett. 2010; 12: 936
- 5b Tucci FC, Chieffi A, Comasseto JV, Marino JP. J. Org. Chem. 1996; 61: 4975
- 6a Silveira CC, Braga AL, Vieira AS, Zeni G. J. Org. Chem. 2003; 68: 662
- 6b Zeni G, Menezes PH, Moro AV, Braga AL, Silveira CC, Stefani HA. Synlett 2001; 1473
- 7 Alves D, Schumacher RF, Brandão R, Nogueira CW, Zeni G. Synlett 2006; 1035
- 8a Singh FV, Weber M, Guadagnin RC, Stefani HA. Synlett 2008; 1889
- 8b Guadagnin RC, Suganuma CA, Singh FV, Vieira AS, Cella R, Stefani HA. Tetrahedron Lett. 2008; 49: 4713
- 9 Okoronkwo AE, Godoi B, Schumacher RF, Neto JS. S, Luchese C, Prigol M, Nogueira CW, Zeni G. Tetrahedron Lett. 2009; 50: 909
- 10a Dabdoud MJ, Dabdoub VB, Pereira MA, Zukerman-Schpector J. J. Org. Chem. 1996; 61: 9503
- 10b Godoi B, Schumacher RF, Zeni G. Chem. Rev. 2011; 111: 2937
- 11 Sperança A, Godoi B, Pinton S, Back DF, Menezes PH, Zeni G. J. Org. Chem. 2011; 76: 6789
- 12 Silva MS, Ferrarini RS, Sousa BA, Toledo FT, Comasseto JV, Gariani RA. Tetrahedron Lett. 2012; 53: 3556