Comparative Pharmacokinetics of a Single Oral Dose of Two Formulations of AmlodipineA randomized, single-blind, two-period, two-sequence, crossover study
15 December 2011 (online)
Amlodipine, a long acting dihydropyridine calcium channel antagonist, is prescribed worldwide for the treatment of angina and hypertension. The objective of this study was to compare the pharmacokinetics and to establish bioequivalence of two formulations of amlodipine. The study was performed at the Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Hospital de Clínicas, Medical School of Buenos Aires University. This randomized, single blind, two-period, two-sequence, comparative crossover study was conducted in 24 Caucasian healthy volunteers. A single oral 10 mg dose of amlodipine besylate (CAS 111470-99-6) test formulation and reference formulation were administered to the volunteers separated by a 3-week washout period in a crossover manner. Blood samples for pharmacokinetic analysis were collected over a period of 144 h after drug administration. Amlodipine was measured in plasma samples using a validated HPLC method with LC-MS-MS detection. A non-compartmental method was used for pharmacokinetic analysis. Bioequivalence between test and reference amlodipine samples were demonstrated as the calculated 90% confidence interval for the corresponding ratios of log transformed pharmacokinetic parameters (AUCt, AUC∞ and Cmax) fell within the 80–125% range, the predetermined criterion for pharmacokinetic equivalence.
- 1 Murdoch D, Heel RC. Amlodipine-A review of its pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic properties and therapeutic use in cardiovascular disease. Drugs. 1991; 41 (3) 478-505
- 2 Little WC. Cheng CP Vascular versus myocardial effects of calcium antagonists. Drugs. 1994; 47 Suppl (4) 41-45
- 3 Faulkner JK, DmcGibney D, Chasseaud LF, Perry JL, Taylor IW. The pharmacokinetics of amlodipine in healthy volunteers after intravenous, and oral doses and after 14 repeated oral doses once daily. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 1986; 22: 21-25
- 4 Meredithy PA, Elliott HL. Clinical pharmacokinetics of amlodipine. Clin Pharmacokinet. 1992; 22 (1) 22-31
- 5 Osterloh I. The safety of amlodipine. Am Heart J. 1989; 118: 1114-1120
- 6 Stangier J, Su C. Pharmacokinetics of Repeated Oral Doses of Amlodipine plus Telmisartan in Healthy Volunteers. J Clin Pharmacol. 2000; 40: 1347-1354
- 7 Carvalho M, Oliveira CH, Mendes GD, Sucupira M, Moraes MEA, De Nucci G. Amlodipine bioequivalence Study: quantification by liquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry. Biopharm Drug Dispos. 2001; 22: 383-390
- 8 Tatar S, Atmaca S. Determination of amlodipine in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl. 2001; 758 (2) 305-310
- 9 Bahrami G, Mirzaeei S. Simple and rapid HPLC method for determination of amlodipine in human serum with fluorescence detection and its use in pharmacokinetic studies. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2004; 36 (1) 163-168
- 10 ANMAT Argentina. Dispositions 5330/97 and 3185/99. www.anmat.gov.ar
- 11 Note for Guidance on the Investigation of Bioavailability and Bioequivalence. CPMP/EWP/QWP/1401/98 26 July 2001.
- 12 Food and Drug Administration. Bioavalilability and bioequivalence requirements. CFR Title 21, Volume 5 Parts 300/0499. Revised April 1, 2001.
- 13 Food and Drug Administration. Center of Drug Evaluation and Research. Guidance for Industry. Statistical approaches to establishing bioequivalence. Revised January 2001.
- 14 Schuirmann DA. Comparison of the two one-sided procedure and the power approach for assessing the equivalence of average bioavailability. J Pharmacokinet Biopharm. 1987; 15 (6) 657-680
- 15 Hauck WW, Anderson SJ. A new statistical procedure for testing equivalence in two-group comparative bioavailability trials. Pharmacokinetic Biopharm. 1984; 12: 83-91
- 16 Chow S, Liu JP. editors Design analysis: Bioavailability and bioequivalence studies. New York: Marcel Decker; 1982
- 17 Food and Drug Administration Guidance. Statistical procedure for bioequivalence studies using standard 2-treatment cross-over design: Statement under 21 CFR 10.9. Rockville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services; 1992.
- 18 Shumaker RC. PKCALC: a BASIC interactive computer program for statistical and pharmacokinetic analysis of data. Drug Metab Rev. 1986; 7 (3–4) 331-348
- 19 Amidon GL, Lennernas H, Shah VP, Crison JR. A theoretical basis for a biopharmaceutic drug classification: the correlation of in vitro drug product dissolution and in vivo bioavailability. Pharm Res. 1995; 12: 413-420
- 20 Abad-Santos F, Novalbos J, Gálvez-Múgica MA, Gallego-Sandín S, Almeida S, Valleé F et al. Assessment of sex differences in pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of amlodipine in a bioequivalence study. Pharmacol Res. 2005; 51 (5) 445-52