Boron Trifluoride Etherate
05 April 2012 (online)
Boron trifluoride etherate (BF3·OEt2, 1) is an effective reagent widely used for a variety of organic transformations,[ 1 ] especially for the construction of heterocycles systems by formation of carbon–carbon and carbon–heteroatom bond. Some applications in organic chemistry include the synthesis of quinolines[ 2 ], spiro dihydroquinoline-oxindoles,[ 3 ] tetrahydrofurans,[ 4 ] trienes,[ 5 ] benzofurans[ 6 ] and dioxocanes.[ 7 ]
The complex BF3·OEt2 is a clear and volatile liquid which boils at 126 °C,[ 8 ] may form explosive peroxides in contact with air or oxygen and reacts exothermically with water to form extremely flammable diethyl ether.
BF3·OEt2 is commercially available, but it can be prepared by reaction between ethyl ether and the gaseous Lewis acid BF3 (Scheme ).
- 1 Jha M, Enaohwo O, Marcellus A. Tetrahedron Lett. 2009; 50: 7184
- 2 Shan G, Sun X, Xia Q, Rao Y. Org. Lett. 2011; 13: 5770
- 3 Kouznetsov VV, Bello ForeroJ. S. Amado D. F. T. Tetrahedron Lett. 2008; 49: 5855
- 4 Subba ReddyB. V, Anjum SR, Reddy GM, Rao TP. Synlett 2011; 2951
- 5 Yuan W, Shi M. Tetrahedron 2010; 66: 7104
- 6 Kokubo K, Kenji H, Mochizuki E, Oshima T. Tetrahedron Lett. 2010; 51: 955
- 7 Petrov VA, Marshall W. Beilstein J. Org. Chem. 2010; 6
- 8 The Merck Index, 14th ed; O’Neil, M. J.; Heckelman, P. E.; Koch, C. B.; Roman, K. J.; Kenny, C. M.; D’Arecca, M. R., Eds.; Merck: New York, 2006
- 9 Subba ReddyB. V, Chaya DN, Yadav JS, Chatterjee D, Kunwar AC. Tetrahedron Lett. 2011; 52: 2961
- 10 Machin BP, Pagenkopf BL. Synlett 2011; 2799