Subscribe to RSS
© Thieme Medical Publishers
Percutaneous Endovascular Repair of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm with Coexisting Horseshoe Kidney: Technical Aspects and Review of the Literature
11 August 2011 (online)
Surgical repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs) with coexisting horseshoe kidney (HSK) is technically challenging because of complex anatomy. Endovascular repair has emerged as a common approach to AAA repair and represents a valid alternative in selected patients with AAA and concomitant congenital renal anomalies. We report a case of successful percutaneous endovascular repair in a patient with coexistent AAA and HSK. Careful preoperative planning is essential in successful endovascular management of abdominal aneurysms in these patients.
Abdominal aortic aneurysm - horseshoe kidney - congenital renal anomaly - endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair
- 1 Phelan J T, Bernatz P E, Deweerd J H. Abdominal aortic aneurysm associated with a horseshoe kidney: report of case. Proc Staff Meet Mayo Clin. 1957; 32 (4) 77-81
- 2 Wolf Y G, Fogarty T J, Olcott C I V et al.. Endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms: eligibility rate and impact on the rate of open repair. J Vasc Surg. 2000; 32 (3) 519-523
- 3 Ruppert V, Umscheid T, Rieger J et al.. Endovascular aneurysm repair: Treatment of choice for abdominal aortic aneurysm coincident with horseshoe kidney? Three case reports and review of literature. J Vasc Surg. 2004; 40 (2) 367-370 Review
- 4 Artioukh D Y, Wake P N, Edwards P R, Moody A P. Problems of abdominal aortic aneurysm associated with horseshoe kidney. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 1997; 14 (1) 75-78
- 5 Kaplan D B, Kwon C C, Marin M L, Hollier L H. Endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms in patients with congenital renal vascular anomalies. J Vasc Surg. 1999; 30 (3) 407-415
- 6 Waters A M, Rosenblum N D. Renal ectopic and fusion anomalies. Uptodate 19.2 May 4, 2010.
- 7 Eisendrath D N, Phifer F M, Culver H B. Horseshoe kidney. Ann Surg. 1925; 82 (5) 735-764
- 8 Stroosma O B, Kootstra G, Schurink G W. Management of aortic aneurysm in the presence of a horseshoe kidney. Br J Surg. 2001; 88 (4) 500-509
- 9 Greenhalgh R M, Brown L C, Kwong G P, Powell J T, Thompson S G. Comparison of endovascular aneurysm repair with open repair in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysm (EVAR trial 1), 30-day operative mortality results: randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2004; 364 (9437) 843-848
- 10 Lee W A, Brown M P, Nelson P R, Huber T S. Total percutaneous access for endovascular aortic aneurysm repair (“Preclose” technique). J Vasc Surg. 2007; 45 (6) 1095-1101
- 11 Ferko A, Krajina A, Jon B, Lesko M, Voboril Z. Juxtarenal aortic aneurysm associated with a horseshoe kidney. Transfemoral endoluminal repair. Arch Surg. 1997; 132 (3) 316-317
- 12 Wyers M C, Fillinger M F, Schermerhorn M L et al.. Endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm without preoperative arteriography. J Vasc Surg. 2003; 38 (4) 730-738
Alik FarberM.D. F.A.C.S. F.I.C.A.
Section of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, Boston University Medical Center
88 East Newton Street, Collamore Building, 5th Floor, Boston, MA 02119-2393