© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York
Cognitive versus Behavioral ADHD Phenotype: What is it all About?
28 July 2009 (online)
The ADHD PASS assessment is discussed. 100 combined and 50 inattentive ADHD patients with DSM IV − TR criteria, no comorbidity, and no previous treatment were enrolled. Those with SNAP-IV≥2.5/1.8 (teacher/parents) [n=96] were randomly assigned to 1 of 3 treatment groups: Concerta®, humanistic psychology, and Concerta®+psychology. Those with SNAP-IV<2.5/1.8 [n=54] to 1 of 2 groups: Concerta® and Concerta®+psychology. All of them [n=150] we administered the SNAP-IV and cognitive DN:CAS battery at baseline and 6 and 12 months later. Cluster analysis and paired Student t-test were applied. The cluster analysis produced three cognitive profiles: one [n=96] with planning dysfunction and SNAP-IV≥2.5/1.8, the majority [n=76] combined ADHD; another [n=38] with successive processing dysfunction and SNAP-IV<2.5/1.8, the majority [n=28] inattentive ADHD; and another [n=16] without cognitive dysfunction and with SNAP-IV<2.5/1.8, [n=8] combined and [n=8] inattentive. Only planning ameliorated at 12 months assessment. It was better in group 3 (p<0.1) than in group 1 (p<0.5), than in group 2 (p<0.4/0.3). Remission was parallel to planning improvement, group 3>group 1> group 2. PASS assessment in ADHD may be relevant.
ADHD - cognition - behavior - phenotype - PASS - DN:CAS
- 1 Barkley R, Grodzinsky G, DuPaul GJ. Frontal lobe functions in attention deficit disorders with and without hyperactivity: A review and research report. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 1992; 20 163-188
- 2 Barkley R. Behavioral inhibition, sustained attention, and executive functions: constructing a unified theory of ADHD. Psychol Bull. 1997; 121 65-94
- 3 Carlson CL, Pelham WE, Milich R. et al . Single and combined effects of methylphenidate and behavior therapy on the classroom performance of children with ADHD. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 1992; 20 213-231
- 4 Chae PK. Correlation study between WISC-III scores and TOVA performance. Psychol Sch. 1999; 36 179-185
- 5 Chhabildas N, Pennnington BF, Willcutt EG. A comparison of the neuropsychological profiles of the DSM-IV subtypes of ADHD. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2001; 29 529-540
- 6 Christensen KM, Joschko M. Construct validity of the Continuous Attention Test for children. Clin Neuropsychol. 2001; 15 203-209
- 7 Colvin AN, Yeates KO, Enriles BG. et al . Motor adaptation in children with myelomeningocele: Comparison to children with ADHD and healthy siblings. J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 2003; 9 642-652
- 8 Das JP, Naglieri JA, Kirby JR. Assessment of cognitive processes.
The PASS theory of intelligence. Massachussets: Allyn & Bacon, Inc. 1994
- 9 Das JP, Kar R, Parrila RK. Cognitive planning.
The psychological basis of intelligent behavior. London: Sage Publications Ltd. 1996
- 10 Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (4th Ed-TR) DSM IV-TR .Washington DC: APA 2000
- 11 Doyle AE, Bierdeman J, Siedman LJ. et al . Diagnostic efficiency of neuropsychological test scores for discriminating boys with and without attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2000; 68 477-488
- 12 El-Sayed E, Larson JO, Persson HE. et al . Altered cortical activity in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder during attentional load task. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2002; 41 811-819
- 13 Faraone SV, Biederman J, Lehman BK. et al . Intellectual performance and school failure in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorders and their siblings. J Abnorm Psychol. 1993; 102 616-623
- 14 Glazebrook C, Hollis C, Heussler H. et al . Detecting emotional and behavioural problems in paediatric clinics. Child: Care, Health and Development. 2003; 29 141-149
- 15 Hinshaw SP, Carte ET, Sami N. et al . Preadolescent girls with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: II. Neuropsychological performance in relation to subtypes and individual classification. J Consult Clin Psychol. 2002; 70 1099-1111
- 16 Kaufman AS. Factor analysis of the WISC-R at 11 age levels between 6 and 16 years. J Consult Clin Psychol.. 1975; 43 135-147
- 17 Konrad K, Güntehr T, Hanish C. et al . Differential effects of methylphedinate on attentional functions in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2004; 43 191-198
- 18 Mash EJ, Barckley R. Treatment of childhood disorders. 3rd ed. New York: Guilford Press. 2006
- 19 Naglieri JA, Das JP, Stevens JJ. et al . Confirmatory factor analysis of planning, attention, simultaneous, and successive cognitive processing tasks. J Sch Psychol. 1991; 29 1-18
- 20 Naglieri JA, Das JP.
Cognitive Assessment System. Illinois: Riverside Publishing. 1997
- 21 Naglieri JA, Goldstein S, Delauder BY. et al . Relationship between the WISC-III and the Cognitive Assessment System with Conners' rating scales and Continuous Performance Tests. Arch Clin Neuropsychol. 2005; 20 385-401
- 22 Naglieri JA, Goldstein S. The role of intellectual processes in the DSM-V diagnosis of ADHD. J Atten Disord. 2006; 10 3-8
- 23 Nydén A, Billstedt E, Hjelmquist E. et al . Neurocognitive stability in Asperger syndrome, ADHD, and reading and writing disorder: a pilot study. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2001; 43 165-171
- 24 Pérez-Álvarez F, Timoneda Gallart C. La disfunción cognitiva PASS en el defecto de atención. Rev Neurol. 2001; 32 30-37
- 25 Pérez-Álvarez F, Timoneda C. A Better Look at Intelligent Behavior. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers, Inc. ISBN: 1-60021-742-7 2007
- 26 Rapport LJ, VanVoorhis A, Tzelepis AT. et al . Executive functioning in adults with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Clin Neuropsychol. 2001; 15 479-491
- 27 Riccio CA, Reynolds CR, Lowe PA.
Clinical applications of continuous performance tests. New York, NY: John Wiley and Sons. 2001
- 28 Rielly NE, Cunningham CE, Richards JE. et al . Detecting attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in a communications clinic: Diagnostic utility of the Gordon Diagnostic System. J Clin Exp Neuropsychol.. 1999; 21 685-700
- 29 Schatz AM, Ballantyne AO, Trauner DA. Sensitivity and specificity of a computerized test of attention in the diagnosis of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Assessment.. 2001; 8 357-365
- 30 Scheres A, Oosterlaan J, Swanson J. et al . The effect of methylphenidate on three forms of response inhibition in boys with AD/HD. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2003; 31 105-120
- 31 Seidman LJ, Biederman J, Faraone SV. et al . Toward defining a neuropsychology of attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder: Performance of children and adolescents from a large clinically referred sample. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1997; 66 150-160
- 32 Shaffer D, Fisher P, Dulcan M. et al . The second version of the NIMH Diagnostic Interview Schedule for Children (DISC-2). J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1996; 35 865-877
- 33 Steele M, Jensen PS, Quinn DMP. Remission versus response as the goal of therapy in ADHD: A new standard for the field?. Clin Ther. 2006; 28 1892-1908
- 34 Swanson J.
The SNAP-IV Rating Scale. Child Development Center, UC Irvine 1995. http://url: www.adhd.net.
- 35 Tseng MH, Henderson A, Chow SMK. et al . Relationship between motor proficiency, attention, impulse and activity in children with ADHD. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2004; 46 381-388
- 36 Van Luit JE, Kroesbergen EH, Naglieri JA. Utility of the PASS theory and cognitive assessment system for Dutch children with and without ADHD. J Learn Disabil. 2005; 38 434-439
- 37 Ward MF, Wender PH, Reimherr FW. The Wender Utah Rating Scale: an aid in the retrospective diagnosis of childhood attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 1993; 150 885-889
- 38 Willcutt EG, Pennington BE, Boada R. et al . A comparison of the cognitive deficits in reading disability and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. J Abnorm Psychol. 2001; 110 155-172
- 39 Williams D, Stotts CM, Goodyear IM. et al . Specific language impairment with and without hyperactivity: neuropsychological evidence for frontostriatal dysfunction. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2000; 42 368-375
- 40 Wodushek TR, Neumann CS. Inhibitory capacity in adults with symptoms of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorders (ADHD). Arch Clin Neuropsychol. 2003; 18 317-330
- 41 Yeo R, Hill DE, Campbell RA. et al . Proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy investigation of the right frontal lobe in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003; 42 303-310
Department of Neuropediatrics
Hospital Universitari Dr J Trueta
Carretera de França s/n Girona
Phone: +34/972/94 02 41
Fax: +34/972/94 02 00