Subscribe to RSS
The ADA (Age-D-Dimer-Albumin) Score to Predict Thrombosis in SARS-CoV-2Funding None.
Background Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus-2 (SARS-CoV-2)-related pneumonia is associated with venous and arterial thrombosis. Aim of the study was to find out a new score for predicting thrombosis in patients with SARS-CoV-2.
Methods We included a cohort of 674 patients affected by SARS-CoV-2, not requiring intensive care units, and followed-up during the hospitalization until discharge. Routine analyses performed at in-hospital admission included also serum albumin and D-dimer while arterial and venous thromboses were the endpoints of the study.
Results During the follow-up, 110 thrombotic events were registered; patients with thrombotic events were older and had lower albumin and higher D-dimer, compared with thrombotic event-free ones. On multivariable logistic regression with step-by-step procedure age, serum albumin, and D-dimer were independently associated with thrombotic events. The linear combination of age, D-dimer, and albumin allowed to build-up the ADA (age-D-dimer-albumin) score, whose area under the curve (AUC) was 0.752 (95% confidence interval [CI], 0.708–0.795). ADA score was internally validated by bootstrap sampling procedure giving an AUC of 0.752 (95% CI: 0.708–0.794).
Conclusion Combination of age, D-dimer, and albumin in the ADA score allows identifying SARS-CoV-2 patients at higher risk of thrombotic events.
Received: 10 September 2021
Accepted: 10 February 2022
Accepted Manuscript online:
04 March 2022
Article published online:
18 July 2022
© 2022. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Wiersinga WJ, Rhodes A, Cheng AC, Peacock SJ, Prescott HC. Pathophysiology, transmission, diagnosis, and treatment of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19): a review. JAMA 2020; 324 (08) 782-793
- 2 Violi F, Pastori D, Cangemi R, Pignatelli P, Loffredo L. Hypercoagulation and antithrombotic treatment in coronavirus 2019: a new challenge. Thromb Haemost 2020; 120 (06) 949-956
- 3 Zhang L, Yan X, Fan Q. et al. D-dimer levels on admission to predict in-hospital mortality in patients with Covid-19. J Thromb Haemost 2020; 18 (06) 1324-1329
- 4 Simadibrata DM, Lubis AM. D-dimer levels on admission and all-cause mortality risk in COVID-19 patients: a meta-analysis. Epidemiol Infect 2020; 148: e202
- 5 Cangemi R, Calvieri C, Falcone M. et al. Comparison of thrombotic events and mortality in patients with community-acquired pneumonia and COVID-19: a multicenter observational study. Thromb Haemost 2022; 122 (02) 257-266
- 6 Rosenberg D, Eichorn A, Alarcon M, McCullagh L, McGinn T, Spyropoulos AC. External validation of the risk assessment model of the International Medical Prevention Registry on Venous Thromboembolism (IMPROVE) for medical patients in a tertiary health system. J Am Heart Assoc 2014; 3 (06) e001152
- 7 Barbar S, Noventa F, Rossetto V. et al. A risk assessment model for the identification of hospitalized medical patients at risk for venous thromboembolism: the Padua Prediction Score. J Thromb Haemost 2010; 8 (11) 2450-2457
- 8 Greco S, Zenunaj G, Bonsi B. et al. SARS-CoV-2 and finding of vein thrombosis: can IMPROVE and IMPROVEDD scores predict COVID-19 outcomes?. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2021; 25 (04) 2123-2130
- 9 World Health Organization. Clinical management of severe acute respiratory infection (SARI) when COVID-19 disease is suspected: Interim guidance V 1.2. March 13, 2020. Available at: https://apps.who.int/iris/rest/ bitstreams/1272156
- 10 Cangemi R, Casciaro M, Rossi E. et al; SIXTUS Study Group, SIXTUS Study Group. Platelet activation is associated with myocardial infarction in patients with pneumonia. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 64 (18) 1917-1925
- 11 Konstantinides SV, Meyer G, Becattini C. et al; The Task Force for the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). 2019 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism developed in collaboration with the European Respiratory Society (ERS): the Task Force for the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Respir J 2019; 54 (03) 1901647
- 12 Thygesen K, Alpert JS, Jaffe AS. et al; Executive Group on behalf of the Joint European Society of Cardiology (ESC)/American College of Cardiology (ACC)/American Heart Association (AHA)/World Heart Federation (WHF) Task Force for the Universal Definition of Myocardial Infarction. Fourth Universal Definition of Myocardial Infarction (2018). Circulation 2018; 138 (20) e618-e651
- 13 Powers WJ, Rabinstein AA, Ackerson T. et al. Guidelines for the early management of patients with acute ischemic stroke: 2019 update to the 2018 guidelines for the early management of acute ischemic stroke: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke 2019; 50 (12) e344-e418
- 14 Quéré I, Leizorovicz A, Galanaud JP. et al; Prospective Observational Superficial Thrombophlebitis (POST) Study Investigators. Superficial venous thrombosis and compression ultrasound imaging. J Vasc Surg 2012; 56 (04) 1032-8.e1
- 15 Loffredo L, Arienti V, Vidili G. et al; AURELIO Study Group. Low rate of intrahospital deep venous thrombosis in acutely ill medical patients: results from the AURELIO study. Mayo Clin Proc 2019; 94 (01) 37-43
- 16 Needleman L, Cronan JJ, Lilly MP. et al. Ultrasound for lower extremity deep venous thrombosis: multidisciplinary recommendations from the Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound Consensus Conference. Circulation 2018; 137 (14) 1505-1515
- 17 Mendis S, Thygesen K, Kuulasmaa K. et al; Writing group on behalf of the participating experts of the WHO consultation for revision of WHO definition of myocardial infarction. World Health Organization definition of myocardial infarction: 2008-09 revision. Int J Epidemiol 2011; 40 (01) 139-146
- 18 Lyaker MR, Tulman DB, Dimitrova GT, Pin RH, Papadimos TJ. Arterial embolism. Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci 2013; 3 (01) 77-87
- 19 Harrell FE. Regression Modeling Strategies. 2001
- 20 Berger JS, Kunichoff D, Adhikari S. et al. Prevalence and outcomes of D-dimer elevation in hospitalized patients with COVID-19. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2020; 40 (10) 2539-2547
- 21 Basili S, Carnevale R, Nocella C. et al; PRO-LIVER Collaborators. Serum albumin is inversely associated with portal vein thrombosis in cirrhosis. Hepatol Commun 2019; 3 (04) 504-512
- 22 Violi F, Ceccarelli G, Cangemi R. et al. Hypoalbuminemia, coagulopathy, and vascular disease in COVID-19. Circ Res 2020; 127 (03) 400-401
- 23 Violi F, Cangemi R, Romiti GF. et al. Is albumin predictor of mortality in COVID-19?. Antioxid Redox Signal 2021; 35 (02) 139-142
- 24 Pignatelli P, Farcomeni A, Menichelli D, Pastori D, Violi F. Serum albumin and risk of cardiovascular events in primary and secondary prevention: a systematic review of observational studies and Bayesian meta-regression analysis. Intern Emerg Med 2020; 15 (01) 135-143