Subscribe to RSS
Quantification of a New Antifungal Drug Based on 1,3,4-Thiadiazole by HPLC-ESI/MS: Method Development, Validation and Pharmacokinetic ApplicationFunding This work was supported by the Ministry of Education of Russian Federation [government number 115080740020] and was made in Research Equipment Sharing Center “Analytical Center of St. Petersburg State Chemical Pharmaceutical University” [N 075–15–2021–685 26/07/2021].
The high sensitive HPLC-ESI/MS method for quantitative determination of a new antifungal drug – 2-[(1Z)-1-(3,5-diphenyl-1,3,4-thiadiazol-2(3Н)-ylidene)methyl]-3,5-diphenyl-1,3,4-thiadiazol-3-ium chloride (TDZ) – was developed and fully validated. TDZ was separated from plasma and urine samples by acetonitrile deproteinization and extraction without time-consuming sample preparation. The reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography on Kromasil 100–3.5 C8 column of TDZ in isocratic elution mode using 0.03% trifluoroacetic acid : acetonitrile (65:35, v/v) at a flow rate of 0.2 mL min−1 was performed. Determination of TDZ was carried out by a positive electrospray ionization in a selected ion monitoring mode for [M+]=489 m/z. The method of absolute calibration was used for quantification of TDZ in two concentrations ranges: 100–2500 pg mL−1 and 2500–30 000 pg mL−1. The established method showed a good linearity (R=0.999 for both ranges), the limits of determination and quantification were 50 and 100 pg mL−1, respectively. The Intra- and Inter-day precision values were measured by t-Distribution and Fisher′s Exact Test and were in accordance with the regulatory guidance. Low matrix effects and good recovery were found for TDZ. The present method was successfully applied to determine the pharmacokinetic parameters of TDZ by means of intravenous and oral administrations to rats at 5.0 mg kg−1 and 10.0 mg kg−1, respectively.
Received: 13 June 2021
Accepted: 30 August 2021
Article published online:
17 September 2021
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 El-Naggar M, Sallam HA, Shaban SS. et al. Design, Synthesis, and Molecular Docking Study of Novel Heterocycles Incorporating 1,3,4-Thiadiazole Moiety as Potential Antimicrobial and Anticancer Agents. Molecules 2019; 24: 1066-1087
- 2 Kumar D, Kumar MN, Chang KH. et al. Synthesis and anticancer activity of 5-(3-indolyl)-1,3,4-thiadiazoles. Eur J Med Chem 2010; 45: 4664-4668
- 3 Kamal M, Shakya AK, Jawaid T. 1, 3, 4-Thiadiazole as antimicrobial agent: a review. Int Jour of Biomed Res 2011; 2: 41-46
- 4 El-Badry YAM, Sallam MS, El-Hashash MAA. Efficient 1,3,4-Thiadiazole-4,5-dihydropyridazin-3(2H)-ones as antimicrobial agents. Chem Pharm Bull 2018; 66: 427-433
- 5 Serban G, Stanasel O, Serban E. et al. 2-Amino-1,3,4-thiadiazole as a potential scaffold for promising antimicrobial agents. Drug Des Dev Ther 2018; 12: 1545-1566
- 6 Farghaly TA, Abdallah MA, Aziz MRA. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of some new 1,3,4-thiadiazole derivatives. Molecules 2012; 17: 14625-14636
- 7 Rezki N, Al-Yahyawi AM, Bardaweel SK. et al. Synthesis of novel 2,5-disubstituted-1,3,4-thiadiazoles clubbed 1,2,4-triazole, 1,3,4-thiadiazole, 1,3,4-oxadiazole and/or Schiff base as potent antimicrobial and antiproliferative agents. Molecules 2015; 20: 16048-16067
- 8 Oruc EE, Rollas S, Kandemirli F. et al. 1,3,4-Thiadiazole derivatives. Synthesis, structure elucidation and structure-antituberculosis activity relationship investigation. J Med Chem 2004; 47: 6760-6767
- 9 Djukic M, Fesatidou M, Xenikakis I. et al. In vitro antioxidant activity of thiazolidinone derivatives of 1,3-thiazole and 1,3,4-thiadiazole. Chem Biol Interact 2018; 286: 119-131
- 10 Dоng WL, Liu ZX, Liu XH. et al. Synthesis and antiviral aсtivity оf new aсrylamide derivatives соntaining 1,2,3-thiadiazоle as inhibitоrs оf hepatitis B virus repliсatiоn. Euro J Med Chem 2010; 45: 1919-1926
- 11 Rоstоm SA, el-Ashmawy IM, Abd el Razik HA. Design and synthesis оf sоme thiazоlyl and thiadiazоlyl derivatives оf antipyrine as pоtential nоn-aсidiс anti-inflammatоry, analgesiс and antimiсrоbial agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2009; 17: 882-895
- 12 Kadi AA, Al-Abdullah ES, Shehata IA. et al. Synthesis, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory activities of novel 5-(1-adamantyl)-1,3,4-thiadiazole derivatives. Euro J Med Chem 2010; 45: 5006-5011
- 13 Ozadalı K, Ozkanlı F, Jain S. et al. Synthesis and biоlоgical evaluatiоn оf isоxazоlо[4,5-d]pyridazin-4-(5H)-оne analоgues as pоtent anti-inflammatоry agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 2012; 20: 2912-2922
- 14 Abounakhla M, Er AM, Tahtaci H. et al. An integrated approach towards the development of novel antifungal agents containing thiadiazole: synthesis and a combined similarity search, homology modelling, molecular dynamics and molecular docking study. Chemistry Central Journal 2018; 12: 121
- 15 Li JJ, Liang XM, Jin SH. et al. Synthesis, Fungicidal Activity, and Structure - Activity Relationship of Spiro-Compounds Containing Macrolactam (Macrolactone) and Thiadiazoline Rings. J Agric Food Chem 2010; 58: 2659-2663
- 16 Zong G, Yan X, Bi J. et al. Synthesis, fungicidal evaluation and 3D-QSAR studies of novel 1,3,4-thiadiazole xylofuranose derivatives. PLoS One 2017; 12: e0181646
- 17 Shukla PK, Singh P, Yadav KR. et al. Past, Present, and Future of Antifungal Drug Development. Communicable Diseases of the Developing World 2016; 29: 125-167
- 18 Koshevenko AS, Yakovlev IP, Yuskovets VN. et al. Synthesis and antifungal activity of new 2-[(Z)-1-(3,5-diaryl-1,3,4-thiadiazol-2(3H)-ylidene)methyl]-3,5-diaryl-1,3,4-ium chlorides. Pharm Chem J 2017; 51: 444-447
- 19 Koshevenko AS, Ananyeva EP, Yakovlev IP. et al. Antifungal activity of new derivatives of 1,3,4-thiadiazole. Problems in Medical Mycology 2016; 18: 42-44
- 20 Sipkina NYu, Polyakova MV, Yakovlev IP. Development and Validation of a New HPLC Method for Quantification of a Novel Antifungal Drug Based on 1,3,4–Thiadiazole and its Impurities. Chromatographia 2019; 82: 1633-1639
- 21 International Conference on Harmonisation (ICH) (2005) Harmonised Tripartite Guideline Q2 (R1) Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology.
- 22 Food and Drug Administration. Guidance for industry: bioanalytical method validation. Center for Drug Evaluation and Research: US Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration; 2013.
- 23 Guidance for Industry: Bioanalytical Method Validation, US Department of Health and human Services. Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), Center or Veterinary Medicine (CV). FDA, U.S. Biopharmaceutics, 2018