Subscribe to RSS
Circulating Myonectin and Irisin Levels in Gestational Diabetes Mellitus – A Case-control Study
Objective The objective of this study was to assess the levels of serum myonectin and irisin in pregnant women with and without gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM).
Method A total of 80 pregnant women participated in our study (which consisted of 40 patients with GDM, 40 participants as the control group). Myonectin and irisin levels were analyzed through the ELISA technique, in addition to metabolic parameters in the serum samples of the participants.
Results It was found that the levels of irisin and myonectin were lower in the GDM group compared to the control group. Moreover, it was determined that the values of age (p<0.001), body mass index (p=0.001), gravida (p=0.001), parity (p = 0.016), fasting serum glucose (p=0.001), fasting serum insulin (p=0.007), postprandial serum glucose (p=0.006), HbA1c (p<0.001), HOMA-IR (p<0.001) were higher; HDL cholesterol (p<0.001) was lower. Insulin resistance was significantly higher in the GDM group.
Conclusions Levels of myonectin and irisin were determined to be low in the GDM group. Our results have demonstrated that myonectin and irisin could play a role in the development of GDM and that irisin as well as myonectin could be a novel biomarker for GDM.
Received: 04 November 2020
Accepted after revision: 20 February 2021
16 March 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 American Diabetes Association. Classification and diagnosis of diabetes. Diabetes Care 2015; 38: S8-S16 DOI: 10.2337/dc15-S005.
- 2 Ijäs H, Morin-Papunen L, Keränen AK. et al. Pre-pregnancy overweight overtakes gestational diabetes as a risk factor for subsequent metabolic syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol 2013; 169: 605-611 DOI: 10.1530/eje-13-0412.
- 3 Erem C, Kuzu UB, Deger O. et al. Prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus and associated risk factors in Turkish women: the Trabzon GDM Study. Arch Med Sci 2015; 11: 724-735 DOI: 10.5114/aoms.2015.53291.
- 4 Catalano PM. The impact of gestational diabetes and maternal obesity on the mother and her offspring. J Dev Orig Health Dis 2010; 1: 208-215 DOI: 10.1017/s2040174410000115.
- 5 Pedersen BK, Febbraio MA. Muscles, exercise and obesity: skeletal muscle as a secretory organ. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2012; 8: 457-465 DOI: 10.1038/nrendo.2012.49.
- 6 Boström P, Wu J, Jedrychowski MP. et al. A PGC1-α-dependent myokine that drives brown-fat-like development of white fat and thermogenesis. Nature 2012; 481: 463-468 DOI: 10.1038/nature10777.
- 7 Hartwig S, Raschke S, Knebel B. et al. Secretome profiling of primary human skeletal muscle cells. Biochim Biophys Acta 2014; 1844: 1011-1017 DOI: 10.1016/j.bbapap.2013.08.004.
- 8 Anastasilakis AD, Koulaxis D, Kefala N. et al. Circulating irisin levels are lower in patients with either stable coronary artery disease (CAD) or myocardial infarction (MI) versus healthy controls, whereas follistatin and activin A levels are higher and can discriminate MI from CAD with similar to CK-MB accuracy. Metabolism 2017; 73: 1-8 DOI: 10.1016/j.metabol.2017.05.002.
- 9 Oelmann S, Nauck M, Völzke H. et al. Circulating irisin concentrations are associated with a favourable lipid profile in the general population. PloS One 2016; 11: e0154319 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0154319.
- 10 Zhang C, Ding Z, Lv G. et al. Lower irisin level in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a case-control study and meta-analysis. J Diabetes 2016; 8: 56-62 DOI: 10.1111/1753-0407.12256.
- 11 Seldin MM, Peterson JM, Byerly MS. et al. Myonectin (CTRP15), a novel myokine that links skeletal muscle to systemic lipid homeostasis. J Biol Chem 2012; 287: 11968-11980 DOI: 10.1074/jbc.M111.336834.
- 12 Kautz L, Jung G, Valore EV. et al. Identification of erythroferrone as an erythroid regulator of iron metabolism. Nat Genet 2014; 46: 678-684 DOI: 10.1038/ng.2996.
- 13 Li Z, Yang YL, Zhu YJ. et al. Circulating serum myonectin levels in obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2019; DOI: 10.1055/a-0896-8548.
- 14 Toloza FJK, Mantilla-Rivas JO, Pérez-Matos MC. et al. Plasma levels of myonectin but not myostatin or fibroblast-derived growth factor 21 are associated with insulin resistance in adult humans without diabetes mellitus. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2018; 9: 5 DOI: 10.3389/fendo.2018.00005.
- 15 Demir İ, Guler A. Association of decreased myonectin levels with metabolic and hormonal disturbance in polycystic ovary syndrome. Gynecol Endocrinol 2020; 36: 947-950 doi:10.1080/09513590.2020.1751109
- 16 Otaka N, Shibata R, Ohashi K. et al. Myonectin is an exercise-induced myokine that protects the heart from ischemia-reperfusion injury. Circ Res 2018; 123: 1326-1338 DOI: 10.1161/circresaha.118.313777.
- 17 Yuksel MA, Oncul M, Tuten A. et al. Maternal serum and fetal cord blood irisin levels in gestational diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2014; 104: 171-175 DOI: 10.1016/j.diabres.2013.12.025.
- 18 Coustan DR, Carpenter MW. The diagnosis of gestational diabetes. Diabetes Care 1998; 21(Suppl 2): B5-B8
- 19 Kuzmicki M, Telejko B, Lipinska D. et al. Serum irisin concentration in women with gestational diabetes. Gynecol Endocrinol 2014; 30: 636-639 DOI: 10.3109/09513590.2014.920006.
- 20 Erol O, Erkal N, Ellidağ HY. et al. Irisin as an early marker for predicting gestational diabetes mellitus: a prospective study. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2016; 29: 3590-3595 DOI: 10.3109/14767058.2016.1142967.
- 21 Ebert T, Stepan H, Schrey S. et al. Serum levels of irisin in gestational diabetes mellitus during pregnancy and after delivery. Cytokine 2014; 65: 153-158 DOI: 10.1016/j.cyto.2013.11.009.
- 22 Giudice J, Taylor JM. Muscle as a paracrine and endocrine organ. Curr Opin Pharmacol 2017; 34: 49-55 doi:10.1016/j.coph.2017.05.005
- 23 Little HC, Rodriguez S, Lei X. et al. Myonectin deletion promotes adipose fat storage and reduces liver steatosis. FASEB J 2019; 33: 8666-8687 DOI: 10.1096/fj.201900520R.
- 24 Zhengtang Q, Xia J, Xue X. et al. Stress-induced myonectin improves glucose homeostasis by inhibiting glycemic response to HPA axis. bioRxiv 2019; 838003 DOI: 10.1101/838003.
- 25 Li L, Wang Q, Qin C. Serum myonectin is increased after laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Ann Clin Biochem 2020; 57: 360-364 doi:10.1177/0004563220942263
- 26 Garcés MF, Peralta JJ, Ruiz-Linares CE. et al. Irisin levels during pregnancy and changes associated with the development of preeclampsia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2014; 99: 2113-2119 DOI: 10.1210/jc.2013-4127.
- 27 Kulhan NG, Kulhan M, Turkler C. et al. Could serum levels of irisin be used in gestational diabetes predicting?. Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol 2019; 58: 434-437 DOI: 10.1016/j.tjog.2019.01.027.
- 28 Cui L, Qiao T, Xu F. et al. Circulating irisin levels of prenatal and postnatal patients with gestational diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Cytokine 2020; 126: 154924 DOI: 10.1016/j.cyto.2019.154924.