Subscribe to RSS
Overutilization of surgery for superficial gastric carcinoma in USA: is it still the case in 2020?
Gastric cancer is the fifth most common cancer worldwide and the third leading cause of cancer-related death in the world  . Given the high incidence of gastric cancer in Asia, rigorous screening strategies have been implemented over the years, resulting in enhanced detection at an early stage. This shift in the timing of diagnosis is critical for prognosis, as early gastric cancers (EGCs) have negligible risk for lymph node metastasis (LNM)  . Importantly, endoscopic resection can be curative for select EGCs that meet curative resection criteria, as established by the Japanese Gastric Cancer Association (JGCA) . When compared to surgery, endoscopic resection for EGCs in Asia is associated with similar oncological outcomes, yet it is a less invasive stomach-preserving technique with improved quality of life . Hence, ESD has become the standard of care for EGCs in Asia, with an increasing interest in the West over recent years.
17 June 2021 (online)
© 2021. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/)
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer. Cancer Today. Available online (Accessed 29.01.2021): http://gco.iarc.fr/today
- 2 Ono H, Kondo H, Gotoda T. et al. Endoscopic mucosal resection for treatment of early gastric cancer. Gut 2001; 48: 225-229
- 3 Chung IK, Lee JH, Lee SH. et al. Therapeutic outcomes in 1000 cases of endoscopic submucosal dissection for early gastric neoplasms: Korean ESD Study Group multicenter study. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 69: 1228-1235
- 4 Fujishiro M, Yoshida S, Matsuda R. et al. Updated evidence on endoscopic resection of early gastric cancer from Japan. Gastric Cancer 2017; 20: 39-44
- 5 Japanese Gastric Cancer Association. Japanese gastric cancer treatment guidelines 2018 (5th edition). Gastric Cancer 2021; 24: 1-21 DOI: 10.1007/s10120-020-01042-y.
- 6 Ono H, Yao K, Fujishiro M. et al. Guidelines for endoscopic submucosal dissection and endoscopic mucosal resection for early gastric cancer. Dig Endosc 2016; 28: 3-15
- 7 Barakat M, Ramai D, Cheung D. et al. Management of early gastric cancer meeting criteria for endoscopic resection: US population-based study. Endosc Int Open 2021; 09: E989-E993
- 8 American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts and Figures 2021. Available online (Accessed 30.01.2021): https://www.cancer.org/content/dam/cancer-org/research/cancer-facts-and-statistics/annual-cancer-facts-and-figures/2021/cancer-facts-and-figures-2021.pdf
- 9 Huang RJ, Hwang JH. The management of gastric intestinal metaplasia in the united states: a controversial topic. Gastroenterology 2020; 159: 402-403
- 10 Pimenta-Melo AR, Monteiro-Soares M, Libanio D. et al. Missing rate for gastric cancer during upper gastrointestinal endoscopy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2016; 28: 1041-1049
- 11 Park WG, Shaheen NJ, Cohen J. et al. Quality indicators for EGD. Gastrointest Endosc 2015; 81: 17-30
- 12 Chadwick G, Groene O, Riley S. et al. Gastric cancers missed during endoscopy in England. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2015; 13: 1265-1270
- 13 Delgado Guillena PG, Morales VJ, Ramiro MJ. et al. Gastric cancer missed at esophagogastroduodenoscopy in a well-defined Spanish population. Dig Liver Dis 2019; 51: 1123-1129
- 14 Schlacterman A, Goddard A, Yang D. et al. Perspectives on endoscopic submucosal dissection training in the United States: a survey analysis. Endosc Int Open 2018; 6: E399-E409
- 15 Yang D, Draganov PV. Endoscopic submucosal dissection for early gastric cancer in the West: the absolute but not final word. Gastrointest Endosc 2019; 90: 480-482
- 16 Hanada Y, Choi AY, Hwang JH. et al. Low frequency of lymph node metastases in patients in the United States with early-stage gastric cancers that fulfill Japanese endoscopic resection criteria. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2019; 17: 1763-1769
- 17 Ngamruengphong S, Ferri L, Aihara H. et al. Efficacy of Endoscopic Submucosal Dissection for Superficial Gastric Neoplasia in a Large Cohort in North America. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2020; 18 S1542-3565(20)30834-X DOI: 10.1016/j.cgh.2020.06.023.
- 18 Abdelfatah MM, Barakat M, Othman MO. et al. The incidence of lymph node metastasis in submucosal early gastric cancer according to the expanded criteria: a systematic review. Surg Endosc 2019; 33: 26-32
- 19 Probst A, Schneider A, Schaller T. et al. endoscopic submucosal dissection for early gastric cancer: are expanded resection criteria safe for Western patients?. Endoscopy 2017; 49: 855-865