Vinpocetine Effect on the Juncture of Diabetes and Aging: An in-vitro study
Background The rapid-growing population of diabetic patients and the elderly are among the direst challenges that the science of medicine is facing today. Targeting these two challenges can shed light on new means to control and ideally reverse this trend. In this experiment, Vinpocetine’s effect on aged pancreatic beta-cell functions in correlation with oxidative stress was studied.
Methods Islet cells were isolated from the pancreas of aged rats and exposed to Vinpocetine, dissolved in acetone and RPMI, for 48 h. Then, senescence-associated molecular parameters, including P16 and P38 gene expressions and β-galactosidase activity, were investigated along with diabetic and inflammation markers.
Results Experimental results showed that Vinpocetine could significantly increase aged islets insulin secretion and also make a meaningful reduction in oxidative stress markers. This drug can also decrease expression levels of P16 and P38, the primary genes responsible for the aging pathway. TNF-α, IL-6, and NF-κB expressions were also reduced noticeably after treatment with Vinpocetine.
Conclusion The current study showed that Vinpocetine, a derivative of the secondary plant metabolite called Vincamine, could break this vicious cycle of oxidative stress and aging by reducing oxidative stress and inflammation, thus inhibiting cellular aging.
Key wordscellular senescence - diabetes - oxidative stress - phosphodiesterase inhibitor - vinpocetine
Eingereicht: 12. Dezember 2020
Angenommen: 25. Januar 2021
12. Juli 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Rezaee MR, Amiri AA, Hashemi-Soteh MB. et al. Aldose reductase C-106T gene polymorphism in type 2 diabetics with microangiopathy in Iranian individuals. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2015; 19: 95-99 DOI: 10.4103/2230-8210.131762.
- 2 Alqathama A, Alluhiabi G, Baghdadi H. et al. Herbal medicine from the perspective of type II diabetic patients and physicians: what is the relationship? . BMC Complement Med Ther 2020; 20: 65. DOI: 10.1186/s12906-020-2854-4.
- 3 Rymkiewicz E, Dzida G. Type 2 diabetes in patients older than 70 years - aspects of metabolic control. Clinical Diabetology 2018; 7: 97-101 DOI: 10.5603/DK.2018.0003.
- 4 Kushner JA. The role of aging upon β cell turnover. The Journal of Clinical Investigation 2013; 123: 990-995
- 5 Lin AW, Barradas M, Stone JC. et al. Premature senescence involving p53 and p16 is activated in response to constitutive MEK/MAPK mitogenic signaling. Genes & Development 1998; 12: 3008-3019
- 6 Sharpless NE, Bardeesy N, Lee K-H. et al. Loss of p16 Ink4a with retention of p19 Arf predisposes mice to tumorigenesis. Nature 2001; 413: 86
- 7 Aguayo-Mazzucato C, van Haaren M, Mruk M. et al. β cell aging markers have heterogeneous distribution and are induced by insulin resistance. Cell Metabolism 2017; 25: e895
- 8 Hsieh C-C, Papaconstantinou J. The effect of aging on p38 signaling pathway activity in the mouse liver and in response to ROS generated by 3-nitropropionic acid. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 2002; 123: 1423-1435
- 9 Moeini-Nodeh S, Rahimifard M, Baeeri M. et al. Functional improvement in rats’ pancreatic islets using magnesium oxide nanoparticles through antiapoptotic and antioxidant pathways. Biological Trace Element Research 2017; 175: 146-155
- 10 Monfared SSMS, Larijani B, Abdollahi M. Islet transplantation and antioxidant management: a comprehensive review. World Journal of Gastroenterology: WJG 2009; 15: 1153
- 11 Sedelnikova OA, Horikawa I, Zimonjic DB. et al. Senescing human cells and ageing mice accumulate DNA lesions with unrepairable double-strand breaks. Nature Cell Biology 2004; 6: 168
- 12 Kyriakis JM, Avruch J. Mammalian mitogen-activated protein kinase signal transduction pathways activated by stress and inflammation. Physiological Reviews 2001; 81: 807-869
- 13 Taylor WR, Stark GR. Regulation of the G2/M transition by p53. Oncogene 2001; 20: 1803
- 14 Heckman P, Wouters C, Prickaerts J. Phosphodiesterase inhibitors as a target for cognition enhancement in aging and Alzheimer’s disease: A translational overview. Current Pharmaceutical Design 2015; 21: 317-331
- 15 Kiss B, Szporny L. On the possible role of central monoaminergic systems in the central nervous system actions of vinpocetine. Drug Development Research 1988; 14: 263-279
- 16 Huang E-W, Xue S-J, Zhang Z. et al. Vinpocetine inhibits breast cancer cells growth in vitro and in vivo. Apoptosis 2012; 17: 1120-1130
- 17 Kitada K, Nakano D, Ohsaki H. et al. Hyperglycemia causes cellular senescence via a SGLT2-and p21-dependent pathway in proximal tubules in the early stage of diabetic nephropathy. Journal of Diabetes and its Complications 2014; 28: 604-611
- 18 Shoae-Hagh P, Rahimifard M, Navaei-Nigjeh M. et al. Zinc oxide nanoparticles reduce apoptosis and oxidative stress values in isolated rat pancreatic islets. Biological Trace Element Research 2014; 162: 262-269
- 19 Heydary V, Navaei-Nigjeh M, Rahimifard M. et al. Biochemical and molecular evidences on the protection by magnesium oxide nanoparticles of chlorpyrifos-induced apoptosis in human lymphocytes. J Res Med Sci 2015; 20: 1021-1031 DOI: 10.4103/1735-1995.172811.
- 20 Rahimifard M, Navaei-Nigjeh M, Mahroui N. et al. Improvement in the function of isolated rat pancreatic islets through reduction of oxidative stress using traditional Iranian medicine. Cell Journal (Yakhteh) 2014; 16: 147
- 21 Astaneie F, Afshari M, Mojtahedi A. et al. Total antioxidant capacity and levels of epidermal growth factor and nitric oxide in blood and saliva of insulin-dependent diabetic patients. Archives of Medical Research 2005; 36: 376-381
- 22 Maqbool F, Bahadar H, Niaz K. et al. Effects of methyl mercury on the activity and gene expression of mouse Langerhans islets and glucose metabolism. Food and Chemical Toxicology 2016; 93: 119-128
- 23 Jalili-Baleh L, Nadri H, Forootanfar H. et al. Novel 3-phenylcoumarin-lipoic acid conjugates as multi-functional agents for potential treatment of Alzheimer’s disease. Bioorg Chem 2018; 79: 223-234 DOI: 10.1016/j.bioorg.2018.04.030.
- 24 Zhang Y-s, Li J-d, Yan C. An update on vinpocetine: new discoveries and clinical implications. European Journal of Pharmacology 2018; 819: 30-34
- 25 Herrera-Mundo N, Sitges M. Vinpocetine and α-tocopherol prevent the increase in DA and oxidative stress induced by 3-NPA in striatum isolated nerve endings. Journal of Neurochemistry 2013; 124: 233-240
- 26 Butler AE, Janson J, Bonner-Weir S. et al. β-cell deficit and increased β-cell apoptosis in humans with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 2003; 52: 102-110
- 27 Kalyani RR, Golden SH, Cefalu WT. Diabetes and aging: unique considerations and goals of care. Diabetes Care 2017; 40: 440-443
- 28 Wadhwa R, Gupta R, Maurya PK. Oxidative stress and accelerated aging in neurodegenerative and neuropsychiatric disorder. Current Pharmaceutical Design 2018; 24: 4711-4725
- 29 Rahimifard M, Baeeri M, Bahadar H. et al. Therapeutic effects of gallic acid in regulating senescence and diabetes; An in vitro study. Molecules 2020; 25 DOI: 10.3390/molecules25245875.
- 30 Santos MS, Duarte AI, Moreira PI. et al. Synaptosomal response to oxidative stress: effect of vinpocetine. Free Radical Research 2000; 32: 57-66
- 31 Buranasin P, Mizutani K, Iwasaki K. et al. High glucose-induced oxidative stress impairs proliferation and migration of human gingival fibroblasts. PLoS One 2018; 13: e0201855.
- 32 Dodig S, Čepelak I, Pavić I. Hallmarks of senescence and aging. Biochemia medica: Biochemia Medica 2019; 29: 483-497
- 33 Spazzafumo L, Mensà E, Matacchione G. et al. Age-related modulation of plasmatic beta-Galactosidase activity in healthy subjects and in patients affected by T2DM. Oncotarget 2017; 8: 93338
- 34 Yan C. Cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase 1 and vascular aging. Clinical Science 2015; 129: 1077-1081
- 35 Ferrucci L, Fabbri E. Inflammageing: chronic inflammation in ageing, cardiovascular disease, and frailty. Nature Reviews Cardiology 2018; 15: 505-522
- 36 Mozaffar M, Shahrbaf MA, Azimi B. et al Management of celiac trunk and superior mesenteric artery synchronous aneurysms as an extremely rare manifestation of Wegener granulomatosis. J Vasc Surg Cases Innov Tech 2019; 5: 525-528 DOI: 10.1016/j.jvscit.2019.05.005.
- 37 Sanada F, Taniyama Y, Muratsu J. et al. Source of chronic inflammation in aging. Frontiers in Cardiovascular Medicine 2018; 5: 12
- 38 Popko K, Gorska E, Stelmaszczyk-Emmel A. et al. Proinflammatory cytokines Il-6 and TNF-α and the development of inflammation in obese subjects. European Journal of Medical Research 2010; 15: 120
- 39 Haghi Aminjan H, Abtahi SR, Hazrati E. et al. Targeting of oxidative stress and inflammation through ROS/NF-kappaB pathway in phosphine-induced hepatotoxicity mitigation. Life Sci 2019; 232: 116607. DOI: 10.1016/j.lfs.2019.116607.
- 40 Schütze S, Wiegmann K, Machleidt T. et al. TNF-induced activation of NF-κB. Immunobiology 1995; 193: 193-203
- 41 Pamukcu B, Lip GY, Shantsila E. The nuclear factor–kappa B pathway in atherosclerosis: a potential therapeutic target for atherothrombotic vascular disease. Thrombosis Research 2011; 128: 117-123
- 42 Najafi M, Mortezaee K, Rahimifard M. et al. The role of curcumin/curcuminoids during gastric cancer chemotherapy: A systematic review of non-clinical study. Life Sci 2020; 257: 118051. DOI: 10.1016/j.lfs.2020.118051.
- 43 Li P, Gan Y, Xu Y. et al. The inflammatory cytokine TNF-α promotes the premature senescence of rat nucleus pulposus cells via the PI3K/Akt signaling pathway. Scientific Reports 2017; 7: 42938
- 44 Zhao Y-Y, Yu J-Z, Li Q-Y. et al. TSPO-specific ligand vinpocetine exerts a neuroprotective effect by suppressing microglial inflammation. Neuron Glia Biology 2011; 7: 187-197
- 45 Giglia-Mari G, Zotter A, Vermeulen W. DNA damage response. Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Biology 2011; 3: a000745
- 46 Baeeri M, Rahimifard M, Daghighi SM. et al. Cannabinoids as anti-ROS in aged pancreatic islet cells. Life Sci 2020; 256: 117969. DOI: 10.1016/j.lfs.2020.117969.