Subscribe to RSS
COVID-19: SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine-Induced Immune Thrombotic Thrombocytopenia
Vaccination against SARS-CoV-2 is considered the most promising strategy to combat and control the COVID-19 pandemic. Consequently, highly effective vaccines have been developed with unprecedented speed, using distinct technologies such as messenger RNA-based products (with a lipid nanoparticle vehicle) or DNA-based vaccines (utilizing recombinant adenoviral chimpanzee or human vectors) both of which are encoding the SARS-CoV-2 spike glycoprotein. On the basis of randomized, blinded, controlled trials, the European Medicines Agency gave approval to four vaccines, including mRNA-BNT162b2 (BioNTech/Pfizer), mRNA-1273 (Moderna), ChAdOx1 nCov-19 (AstraZeneca), and Ad26.COV2.S (Johnson & Johnson/Janssen). The available vaccines have proven highly safe and effective. Specifically, until very recently, no major safety warnings, other than exceedingly rare cases of anaphylaxis, were reported in initial trials. Moreover, the risk of serious adverse effects was demonstrated to be remarkably low following the vaccination of more than 400 million people worldwide.
Received: 25 May 2021
Accepted: 25 May 2021
Article published online:
30 June 2021
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Coronavirus WHO. (COVID-19) Dashboard. Geneva: World Health Organization; https://covid19.who.int/ . May 21, 2010
- 2 Cines DB, Bussel JB. SARS-CoV-2 Vaccine-induced immune thrombotic thrombocytopenia. N Engl J Med 2021; DOI: 10.1056/NEJMe2106315.
- 3 Greinacher A, Thiele T, Warkentin TE, Weisser K, Kyrle PA, Eichinger S. Thrombotic thrombocytopenia after ChAdOx1 nCov-19 vaccination. N Engl J Med 2021; DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2104840.
- 4 Schultz NH, Sørvoll IH, Michelsen AE. et al. Thrombosis and thrombocytopenia after ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccination. N Engl J Med 2021; DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2104882.
- 5 Scully M, Singh D, Lown R. et al. Pathologic antibodies to platelet factor 4 after ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 vaccination. N Engl J Med 2021; DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2105385.
- 6 Chan B, Odutayo A, Jüni P, Stall NM, Bobos P, Brown AD, Grill A, Ivers N, Maltsev A, McGeer A, Miller KJ, Niel U, Razak F, Sander B, Sholzberg M, Slutsky AS, Morris AM. Pai M on behalf of the Ontario COVID-19 Science Advisory Table, Risk of vaccine-induced thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT) following the AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD adenovirus vector COVID-19 vaccines. Science Briefs of the Ontario COVID-19 Science Advisory Table. 2021 ;2(28). (https://doi.org/10.47326/ ocsat.2021.02.28.1.0).
- 7 Paul-Ehrlich-Institut. Hämovigilanzbericht, aktualisiert 14.05. 2021 https://www.pei.de/DE/arzneimittelsicherheit/haemovigilanz/haemovigilanzberichte/
- 8 Bussel JB, Connors JM, Cines DB. et al. Thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (also termed vaccine-induced thrombotic thrombocytopenia). Version 1.4; last updated April 29, 2021 https://www.hematology.org/covid-19/vaccine-induced-thrombotic-thrombocytopenia
- 9 Greinacher A, Selleng K, Warkentin TE. Autoimmune heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. J Thromb Haemost 2017; 15 (11) 2099-2114
- 10 Greinacher A, Selleng K, Mayerle J. et al. Anti-SARS-CoV-2 spike protein and anti-platelet factor 4 antibody responses induced by COVID-19 disease and ChAdOx1 nCov-19 vaccination. April 09, 2021 https://www.researchsquare.com/artucle/rs-404769/v1 DOI: 10.21203/rs.3.rs-404769/v1
- 11 Gesellschaft für Thrombose- und Hämostaseforschung e. V. Updated GTH statement on vaccination with the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine, as of March 22, 2021. https://gth-online.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/GTH_Stellungnahme_AstraZeneca_engl._3_22_2021.pdf
- 12 Oldenburg J, Klamroth R, Langer F. et al. Diagnosis and management of vaccine-related thrombosis following AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccination: guidance statement from the GTH. Hamostaseologie 2021; 41: 184-189
- 13 Nazy I, Sachs UJ, Arnold DM. et al. Recommendations for the clinical and laboratory diagnosis of VITT against COVID-19: Communication from the ISTH SSC Subcommittee on Platelet Immunology. J Thromb Haemost 2021
- 14 Pfrepper C, Holstein K, Königs C. et al; Hemophilia Board of the German, Austrian, Swiss Society on Thrombosis Hemostasis Research (GTH). Consensus recommendations for intramuscular COVID-19 vaccination in patients with hemophilia. Hamostaseologie 2021; 41: 190-196
- 15 Zeeh FC, Meyer SC. Current concepts of pathogenesis and treatment of Philadelphia chromosome-negative myeloproliferative neoplasms. Hamostaseologie 2021; 41: 197-205
- 16 Shiravand Y, Walter U, Jurk K. Fine-tuning of platelet responses by serine/threonine protein kinases and phosphatases – just the beginning. Hamostaseologie 2021; 41: 206-216
- 17 Garcia A, Dunoyer-Geindre S, Fontana P. Do miRNAs have a role in platelet function regulation?. Hamostaseologie 2021; 41: 217-224