Subscribe to RSS
Telomere Length in Idiopathic Recurrent Pregnancy LossFunding: This study was supported by Yozgat Bozok University Project Coordination Application and Research Center (6602a-TF/18–202).
Objective Telomere length is used as an indicator of biological aging. It is well known that one of the most remarkable risk factors of recurrent pregnancy losses is advanced maternal age. The objective of this study was to investigate the correlation between idiopathic recurrent pregnancy loss and telomere length.
Method The study group included 40 women, while the control group consisted of 41 healthy women whose age and body mass index were matched. A venous blood sample was taken from all participants into EDTA tubes in the early follicular phase, and telomere length was measured through the qPCR technique.
Results When the mean TL of the groups was compared, it was determined that TL was significantly shorter among the iRPL group (7763.89±924.58 base pair) compared to the control group (8398.84±1102.95 base pair) (p<0.006). Whereas FSH and E2 were higher in the iRPL group, TAFC was lower (p<0.001). When the correlation between telomere length and endocrine parameters was statistically tested in the iRPL group, a negative correlation was found between FSH and telomere length (r=-0.437; p<0.001).
Conclusion Shortened telomere length might play a role in the etiology of iRPL. We are of the opinion that patients with RPL should be screened for the presence of cardiovascular diseases and other chronic diseases, as is the case for POF.
Received: 26 November 2020
Accepted after revision: 17 December 2020
02 February 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Bender Atik R, Christiansen OB, Elson J. et al. ESHRE guideline: recurrent pregnancy loss. Hum Reprod Open 2018; 2018: hoy004 DOI: 10.1093/hropen/hoy004.
- 2 Jauniaux E, Farquharson RG, Christiansen OB. et al. Evidence-based guidelines for the investigation and medical treatment of recurrent miscarriage. Hum Reprod 2006; 21: 2216-2222
- 3 Ford HB, Schust DJ. Recurrent pregnancy loss: etiology, diagnosis, and therapy. Rev Obstet Gynecol 2009; 2: 76
- 4 Zhang W, Chen Z, Zhang D. et al. KHDC3L mutation causes recurrent pregnancy loss by inducing genomic instability of human early embryonic cells. PLoS Biol 2019; 17: e3000468
- 5 Hassold T, Hunt P. To err (meiotically) is human: the genesis of human aneuploidy. Nat Rev Genet 2001; 2: 280-291
- 6 Faddy M. Follicle dynamics during ovarian ageing. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2000; 163: 43-48
- 7 Kammori M, Sugishita Y, Okamoto T. et al. Telomere shortening in breast cancer correlates with the pathological features of tumor progression. Oncol Rep 2015; 34: 627-632 DOI: 10.3892/or.2015.4063.
- 8 Aviv A. Telomeres, sex, reactive oxygen species, and human cardiovascular aging. J Mol Med (Berl) 2002; 80: 689-695 doi:10.1007/s00109-002-0377-8
- 9 Grodstein F, van Oijen M, Irizarry MC. et al. Shorter telomeres may mark early risk of dementia: preliminary analysis of 62 participants from the nurses' health study. PloS One 2008; 3: e1590 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0001590.
- 10 Salpea KD, Humphries SE. Telomere length in atherosclerosis and diabetes. Atherosclerosis 2010; 209: 35-38 doi:10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2009.12.021
- 11 Gray KE, Schiff MA, Fitzpatrick AL. et al. Leukocyte telomere length and age at menopause. Epidemiology 2014; 25: 139-146 DOI: 10.1097/ede.0000000000000017.
- 12 Parks CG, DeRoo L, Miller D. et al. Employment and work schedule are related to telomere length in women. Occup Environ Med 2011; 68: 582-589
- 13 Belsky DW, Moffitt TE, Cohen AA. et al. Eleven telomere, epigenetic clock, and biomarker-composite quantifications of biological aging: do they measure the same thing?. Am J Epidemiol 2018; 187: 1220-1230
- 14 Liu L, Franco S, Spyropoulos B. et al. Irregular telomeres impair meiotic synapsis and recombination in mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2004; 101: 6496-6501
- 15 Pedroso DC, Santana VP, Donaires FS. et al. Telomere length and telomerase activity in immature oocytes and cumulus cells of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Reprod Sci 2020; 27: 1293-1303
- 16 Hanna CW, Bretherick KL, Gair JL. et al. Telomere length and reproductive aging. Human Reprod 2009; 24: 1206-1211
- 17 Cawthon RM. Telomere measurement by quantitative PCR. Nucleic Acids Res 2002; 30: e47 doi:10.1093/nar/30.10.e47
- 18 Macklon NS, Geraedts JP, Fauser BC. Conception to ongoing pregnancy: the 'black box' of early pregnancy loss. Hum Reprod Update 2002; 8: 333-343 doi:10.1093/humupd/8.4.333
- 19 Zhang WG, Zhu SY, Bai XJ. et al. Select aging biomarkers based on telomere length and chronological age to build a biological age equation. Age (Dordr) 2014; 36: 9639 DOI: 10.1007/s11357-014-9639-y.
- 20 Pfeiffer V, Lingner J. Replication of telomeres and the regulation of telomerase. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol 2013; 5: a010405 doi:10.1101/cshperspect.a010405
- 21 Selim AM, Nooh MM, El-Sawalhi MM. et al. Amelioration of age-related alterations in rat liver: Effects of curcumin C3 complex, Astragalus membranaceus and blueberry. Exp Gerontol 2020; 137: 110982 DOI: 10.1016/j.exger.2020.110982.
- 22 Shay JW, Wright WE. Telomeres and telomerase: implications for cancer and aging. Radiat Res 2001; 155: 188-193 doi:10.1667/0033-587(2001)155[0188:tatifc]2.0.co;2
- 23 Yiyenoğlu ÖB, Uğur MG, Özcan H. et al. Assessment of oxidative stress markers in recurrent pregnancy loss: A prospective study. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2014; 289: 1337-1340 DOI: 10.1007/s00404-013-3113-4.
- 24 Ghneim HK, Alshebly MM. Biochemical Markers of Oxidative Stress in Saudi Women with Recurrent Miscarriage. J Korean Med Sci 2016; 31: 98-105 doi:10.3346/jkms.2016.31.1.98
- 25 Prasad KN, Wu M, Bondy SC. Telomere shortening during aging: Attenuation by antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents. Mech Ageing Dev 2017; 164: 61-66 doi:10.1016/j.mad.2017.04.004
- 26 Podfigurna-Stopa A, Czyzyk A, Grymowicz M. et al. Premature ovarian insufficiency: the context of long-term effects. J Endocrinol Invest 2016; 39: 983-990 DOI: 10.1007/s40618-016-0467-z.
- 27 Fattet AJ, Toupance S, Thornton SN. et al. Telomere length in granulosa cells and leukocytes: a potential marker of female fertility? A systematic review of the literature. J Ovarian Res 2020; 13: 96 DOI: 10.1186/s13048-020-00702-y.
- 28 Atasever M, Soyman Z, Demirel E. et al. Diminished ovarian reserve: is it a neglected cause in the assessment of recurrent miscarriage? A cohort study. Fertil Steril 2016; 105: 1236-1240 DOI: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2016.01.001.
- 29 Wald KA, Shahine LK, Lamb JD. et al. High incidence of diminished ovarian reserve in young unexplained recurrent pregnancy loss patients. Gynecol Endocrinol 2020; 11: 1-3 DOI: 10.1080/09513590.2020.1750001.
- 30 Bunnewell SJ, Honess ER, Karia AM. et al. Diminished ovarian reserve in recurrent pregnancy loss: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Fertil Steril 2020; 113: e813 DOI: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2019.11.014.
- 31 Liu XY, Fan Q, Wang J. et al. Higher chromosomal abnormality rate in blastocysts from young patients with idiopathic recurrent pregnancy loss. Fertil Steril 2020; 113: 853-864 DOI: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2019.11.016.
- 32 La Marca A, Minasi MG, Sighinolfi G. et al. Female age, serum antimüllerian hormone level, and number of oocytes affect the rate and number of euploid blastocysts in in vitro fertilization/intracytoplasmic sperm injection cycles. Fertil Steril 2017; 108: e772 DOI: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2017.08.029.
- 33 Amir S, Vakonaki E, Tsiminikaki K. et al. Sperm telomere length: diagnostic and prognostic biomarker in male infertility. World Acad Sci J 2019; 1: 259-263 DOI: 10.3892/wasj.2020.31.
- 34 Hapangama DK, Turner MA, Drury JA. et al. Endometrial telomerase shows specific expression patterns in different types of reproductive failure. Reprod Biomed Online 2008; 17: 416-424 DOI: 10.1016/s1472-6483(10)60227-1.
- 35 Hanna CW, Bretherick KL, Gair JL. et al. Telomere length and reproductive aging. Hum Reprod 2009; 24: 1206-1211 DOI: 10.1093/humrep/dep007.
- 36 Thilagavathi J, Mishra SS, Kumar M. et al. Analysis of telomere length in couples experiencing idiopathic recurrent pregnancy loss. J Assist Reprod Genet 2013; 30: 793-798 DOI: 10.1007/s10815-013-9993-1.
- 37 Pirzada RH, Orun O, Erzik C. et al. Role of TRF2 and TPP1 regulation in idiopathic recurrent pregnancy loss. Int J Biol Macromol 2019; 127: 306-310 DOI: 10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2019.01.011.
- 38 Youssef A, Lashley L, Dieben S. et al. Defining recurrent pregnancy loss: associated factors and prognosis in couples with two versus three or more pregnancy losses. Reprod Biomed Online 2020; 41: 679-685 DOI: 10.1016/j.rbmo.2020.05.016.