Subscribe to RSS
Influence of a Pre-throwing Protocol on Range of Motion and Strength in Baseball Athletes
Though chronic overhand throwing is known to result in range of motion and strength adaptations, there is limited research regarding interventions for maintenance of these characteristics. Therefore, the purposes of this study were to explore the use of a pre-throwing protocol focusing on lumbopelvic-hip complex musculature in high school baseball players and examine its effects on shoulder and hip range of motion and isometric strength over the course of a season. Four exercises were added to the intervention team’s warm-up routine. The control and intervention teams’ passive bilateral hip and shoulder range of motion and isometric strength were assessed pre/post-season. A multivariate analysis of variance revealed significant differences in delta scores between the teams for multiple shoulder and hip range of motion and isometric strength variables. Key results were the intervention team lost significantly more stride hip external rotation but gained more isometric strength than the control team. The intervention team was also able to better maintain shoulder range of motion than the control team. Practitioners should use the results of this study and consider incorporating exercises that target lumbopelvic-hip complex musculature into their current training program.
Received: 19 April 2020
Accepted: 30 June 2020
Article published online:
26 August 2020
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Chaudhari AM, McKenzie CS, Borchers JR. et al. Lumbopelvic control and pitching performance of professional baseball pitchers. J Strength Cond Res 2011; 25: 2127-2132. DOI: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e31820f5075.
- 2 Laudner KG, Wong R, Latal JR. et al. Descriptive profile of lumbopelvic control in collegiate baseball pitchers. J Strength Cond Res 2018; 32: 1150-1154
- 3 Laudner KG, Wong R, Meister K. The influence of lumbopelvic control on shoulder and elbow kinetics in elite baseball pitchers. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2019; 28: 330-334
- 4 Gilmer G, Washington J, Oliver G. Assessment of lumbopelvic–hip complex instability and segmental sequencing amongst softball athletes. Int Biomech 2018; 5: 36-45
- 5 Oliver GD, Weimar WH, Plummer HA. Gluteus medius and scapula muscle activations in youth baseball pitchers. J Strength Cond Res 2015; 29: 1494-1499. DOI: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000000797.
- 6 Lee RYW, Wong TKT. Relationship between the movements of the lumbar spine and hip. Hum Mov Sci 2002; 21: 481-494 DOI: 10.1016/S0167-9457(02)00117-3.
- 7 Kibler WB, Wilkes T, Sciascia A. Mechanics and pathomechanics in the overhead athlete. Clin Sports Med 2013; 32: 637-651 DOI: 10.1016/j.csm.2013.07.003.
- 8 Chu SK, Jayabalan P, Kibler WB. et al. The kinetic chain revisited: New concepts on throwing mechanics and injury. PM R 2016; 8: S69-S77. DOI: 10.1016/j.pmrj.2015.11.015.
- 9 Robb AJ, Fleisig G, Wilk K. et al. Passive ranges of motion of the hips and their relationship with pitching biomechanics and ball velocity in professional baseball pitchers. Am J Sports Med 2010; 38: 2487-2493. DOI: 10.1177/0363546510375535.
- 10 Zeppieri G, Lentz TA, Moser MW. et al. Changes in hip range of motion and strength in collegiate baseball pitchers over the course of a competitive season: A pilot study. Int J Sports Phys Ther 2015; 10: 505-513
- 11 Harding JL, Picha KJ, Huxel Bliven KC. Pitch volume and glenohumeral and hip motion and strength in youth baseball pitchers. J Athl Train 2018; 53: 60-65
- 12 Camp CL, Zajac JM, Pearson D. et al. The impact of workload on the evolution of hip internal and external rotation in professional baseball players over the course of the season. Orthop J Sports Med 2018; 6: 2325967117752105 DOI: 10.1177/2325967117752105.
- 13 Li X, Ma R, Zhou H. et al. Evaluation of hip internal and external rotation range of motion as an injury risk factor for hip, abdominal and groin injuries in professional baseball players. Orthop Rev (Pavia) 2015; 7: 6142
- 14 Saito M, Kenmoku T, Kameyama K. et al. Relationship between tightness of the hip joint and elbow pain in adolescent baseball players. Orthop J Sports Med 2014; 2: 2325967114532424
- 15 Bullock GS, Faherty MS, Ledbetter L. et al. Shoulder range of motion and baseball arm injuries: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Athl Train 2018; 53: 1190-1199
- 16 Wyland DJ, Pill SG, Shanley E. et al. Bony adaptation of the proximal humerus and glenoid correlate within the throwing shoulder of professional baseball pitchers. Am J Sports Med 2012; 40: 1858-1862
- 17 Burkhart SS, Morgan CD, Kibler WB. The disabled throwing shoulder: Spectrum of pathology Part I: Pathoanatomy and biomechanics. Arthroscopy 2003; 19: 404-420
- 18 Burkhart SS, Morgan CD, Kibler WB. The disabled throwing shoudler: Spectrum of pathology. Part III: The SICK scapula, scapular dyskinesis, the kinetic chain, and rehabilitation. Arthroscopy 2003; 19: 641-661
- 19 Ellenbecker TS, Roetert EP, Bailie DS. et al. Glenohumeral joint total rotation range of motion in elite tennis players and baseball pitchers. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2002; 34: 2052-2056 DOI: 10.1249/01.MSS.0000039301.69917.0C.
- 20 Wilk K, Meister K, Andrews J. Current concepts in the rehabilitation of the overhead throwing athlete. Am J Sports Med 2002; 30: 136-151
- 21 Reagan KM, Meister K, Horodyski M. et al. Humeral retroversion and its relationship to glenohumeral rotation in the shoulder of college baseball players. Am J Sports Med 2002; 30: 354-360
- 22 Wilk KE, Macrina LC, Fleisig GS. et al. Correlation of glenohumeral internal rotation deficit and total rotational motion to shoulder injuries in professional baseball pitchers. Am J Sports Med 2011; 39: 329-335. DOI: 10.1177/0363546510384223.
- 23 Kibler WB, Kuhn JE, Wilk K. et al. The disabled throwing shoulder: Spectrum of pathology-10-year update. Arthroscopy 2013; 29: 141-161
- 24 McHugh MP, Tyler TF, Mullaney MJ. et al. The effect of a high pitch volume on musculoskeletal adaptations in high scholl baseball pitchers. Am J Sports Med 2016; 44: 2246-2254
- 25 Dwelly PM, Tripp BL, Tripp PA. et al. Glenohumeral rotational range of motion in collegiate overhead-throwing atheltes during an athletic season. J Athl Train 2009; 44: 611-616
- 26 Reinold MM, Wilk KE, Macrina LC. et al. Changes in shoulder and elbow passive range of motion after pitching in professional baseball players. Am J Sports Med 2008; 36: 523-527. DOI: 10.1177/0363546507308935.
- 27 Mullaney MJ, McHugh MP, Donofrio TM. et al. Upper and lower extremity muscle fatigue after a baseball pitching performance. Am J Sports Med 2005; 33: 108-113
- 28 Kibler WB, McMullen J, Uhl TL. Shoulder rehabilitation strategies guidlines, and practice. Orthop Clin North Am 2001; 32: 527-538
- 29 Wilk KE, Yenchak AJ, Arrigo CA. et al. The Advanced Throwers Ten Exercise Program: a new exercise series for enhanced dynamic shoulder control in the overhead throwing athlete. Phys Sportsmed 2011; 39: 90-97. DOI: 10.3810/psm.2011.11.1943.
- 30 Myer JB, Pasquale MR, Lauder KG. On-the-field resistance-tubing exercises for throwers: An electomyographic analysis. J Athl Train 2005; 40: 15-22
- 31 Chaudhari AM, McKenzie CS, Pan X. et al. Lumbopelvis control and days missed because of injury in professional baseball pitchers. Am J Sports Med 2014; 42: 2734-2740
- 32 Oliver GD, Washington JK, Friesen KB. et al. The effects of a pre-throwing program on collegiate NCAA Division I softball pitchers’ biomechanical measures of hip and shoulder range of motion. J Orthop Res Ther 2018; 181.
- 33 Putnam CA. Sequential motions of body segments in striking and throwing skills: Descriptions and explanations. J Biomech 1993; 26 Suppl 1: 125-135
- 34 Kibler WB, Press J, Sciascia A. The role of core stability in athletic function. Sports Med 2006; 36: 189-198
- 35 Harriss D, MacSween A, Atkinson G. Ethical staandards in sport and exercise science research: 2020 update. Int J Sports Med 2020; 40: 813-817
- 36 Oliver GD, Plummer HA, Washington J. et al. Effects of game performance on softball pitchers and catchers. J Strength Cond Res 2019; 33: 466-473 DOI: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000001848.
- 37 Oliver GD, Plummer H, Brambeck A. Hip and glenohumeral passive range of motion in collegiate softball players. Int J Sports Phys Ther 2016; 11: 738-745
- 38 Oliver GD, Weimar W. Hip range of motion and scapula position in youth baseball pitching pre and post simulated game. J Sports Sci 2015; 33: 1447-1453. DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2014.990493.
- 39 Oliver GD, Washington JK, Barfield JW. et al. Quantitative analysis of proximal and distal kinetic chain musculature during dynamic exercises. J Strength Cond Res 2018; 32: 1545-1553. DOI: 10.1519/jsc.0000000000002036.
- 40 Oliver GD, Plummer HA, Gascon SS. Electromyographic analysis of traditional and kinetic chain exercises for dynamic shoulder movements. J Strength Cond Res 2016; 30: 3146-3154. DOI: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000001389.
- 41 Shanley E, Kissenberth MJ, Thigpen C. et al. Preseason shoulder range of motion screening as a predictor of injury among youth and adolescent baseball pitchers. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2015; 24: 1005-1013
- 42 Shanley E, Rauh MJ, Michener LA. et al. Shoulder range of motion measures as risk factors for shoulder and elbow injuries in high school softball and baseball players. Am J Sports Med 2011; 39: 1997-2006 DOI: 10.1177/0363546511408876.
- 43 Hibberd EE, Shutt CE, Oyama S. et al. Physical contributors to glenohumeral rotation deficit in high school baseball players. J Sport Health Sci 2015; 4: 299-306
- 44 Meister K, Day T, Horodyski M. et al. Rotational motion changes in the glenohumeral joint of the adolescent/Little League baseball player. Am J Sports Med 2005; 33: 693-698
- 45 McGraw MH, Vira M, Wang D. et al. Shoulder and elbow range of motion can be maintained in Major League baseball pitchers over the course of the season, regardless of pitching workload. Orthop J Sports Med 2019; 7: 2325967118825066
- 46 Freehill MT, Ebel BG, Archer KR. et al. Glenohumeral range of motion in Major League pitchers: Changes over the playing season. Sports Health 2011; 3: 97-104
- 47 Fleisig GS, Andrews JR, Dillman CJ. et al. Kinetics of baseball pitching with implications about injury mechanisms. Am J Sports Med 1995; 23: 233-239
- 48 Solomito M, Garibay E, Nissen CW. Sagittal plane trunk tilt is associated with upper extremity joint moments and ball velocity in collegiate baseball pitchers. Orthop J Sports Med 2018; 6: 2325967118800240
- 49 Solomito MJ, Garibay EJ, Woods JR. et al. Lateral trunk lean in pitchers affects both ball velocity and upper extremity joint moments. Am J Sports Med 2015; 43: 1235-1240. DOI: 10.1177/0363546515574060.
- 50 Oyama S, Yu B, Blackburn JT. et al. Effect of excessive contralateral trunk tilt on pitching biomechanics and performance in high school baseball pitchers. Am J Sports Med 2013; 41: 2430-2438. DOI: 10.1177/0363546513496547.
- 51 Aguinaldo AL, Chambers H. Correlation of throwing mechanics with elbow valgus load in adult baseball pitchers. Am J Sports Med 2009; 37: 2043-2048. DOI: 10.1177/0363546509336721.
- 52 Aguinaldo AL, Buttermore J, Chambers H. Effects of upper trunk rotation on shoulder joint torque among baseball pitchers of various levels. J Appl Biomech 2007; 23: 42-51 DOI: 10.1123/jab.23.1.42.
- 53 Wilk K, Macrina L, Fleisig G. et al. Deficits in glenohumeral passive range of motion increase risk of shoulder injury in professional baseball pitchers. Am J Sports Med 2015; 43: 2379-2385
- 54 Camp CL, Zajac JM, Pearson D. et al. Decreased shoulder external rotation and flexion are greater predictors of injury than internal rotation deficits: Analysis of 132 pitcher-seasons in professional baseball. Arthroscopy 2017; 33: 1629-1636
- 55 Hellem A, Shirley M, Schilaty N. et al. Review of shoulder range of motion in the throwing athlete: Distinguishing normal adaptations from pathologic deficits. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med 2019; 12: 346-355
- 56 Laudner KG, Moore SD, Sipes RC. et al. Functionl hip characteristics of baseball pitchers and position players. Am J Sports Med 2010; 38: 383-387
- 57 Oliver GD, Keeley DW. Gluteal muscle group activation and its relationship with pelvis and torso kinematics in high-school baseball pitchers. J Strength Cond Res 2010; 24: 3015-3022. DOI: 10.1519/JSC.0b013e3181c865ce.