Patient-Rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation (PRTEE)Translation and Cross-Cultural Adaptation into GermanArticle in several languages: English | deutsch
23 March 2020 (online)
Background The Patient-Rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation questionnaire (PRTEE) is a specific questionnaire available for assessing the health status of patients with lateral epicondylitis. An official German translation does not yet exist.
Objectives The aim of this study was to translate and cross-culturally adapt the English version of the PRTEE into German.
Material and Methods The translation and cross-cultural adaptation was completed by an expert committee comprising people of varying professional and linguistic backgrounds. According to international guidelines, the English original was first translated into German, then back-translated and the final version was pre-tested on patients.
Results No major difficulties were encountered during the translation process and smaller linguistic discrepancies could be resolved in the expert committee. For the pre-validation testing, 11 patients with extensor repair due to persistent lateral epicondylitis were included. They rated the questionnaire as easy to understand and complete. The final version was approved by the developers of the original questionnaire as the official German translation.
Conclusions Although the measurement properties of the German version were not evaluated in this study, the original shows good reliability, validity and responsiveness. In summary, the PRTEE is a questionnaire quick and easy to complete for patients with lateral epicondylitis. Therefore, it is suitable for the clinical routine assessment of subjective health status or the outcome after an intervention.
- 1 Degen RM, Conti MS, Camp CL. et al. Epidemiology and disease burden of lateral epicondylitis in the USA: analysis of 85,318 patients. HSS J 2018; 14: 9-14 doi:10.1007/s11420-017-9559-3
- 2 Vaquero-Picado A, Barco R, Antuna SA. Lateral epicondylitis of the elbow. EFORT Open Rev 2017; 1: 391-397 doi:10.1302/2058-5241.1.000049
- 3 Sanders jr. TL, Maradit Kremers H, Bryan AJ. et al. The epidemiology and health care burden of tennis elbow: a population-based study. Am J Sports Med 2015; 43: 1066-1071 doi:10.1177/0363546514568087
- 4 Moon DK, Park YJ, Song SY. et al. Common upper extremity disorders and function affect upper extremity-related quality of life: a community-based sample from rural areas. Yonsei Med J 2018; 59: 669-676 doi:10.3349/ymj.2018.59.5.669
- 5 Overend TJ, Wuori-Fearn JL, Kramer JF. et al. Reliability of a Patient-Rated Forearm Evaluation questionnaire for patients with lateral epicondylitis. J Hand Ther 1999; 12: 31-37
- 6 MacDermid J. Update: The Patient-rated Forearm Evaluation Questionnaire is now the Patient-rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation. J Hand Ther 2005; 18: 407-410 doi:10.1197/j.jht.2005.07.002
- 7 Rompe JD, Overend TJ, MacDermid JC. Validation of the Patient-rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation Questionnaire. J Hand Ther 2007; 20: 3-10 doi:10.1197/j.jht.2006.10.003
- 8 Nilsson P, Baigi A, Marklund B. et al. Cross-cultural adaptation and determination of the reliability and validity of PRTEE-S (Patientskattad Utvardering av Tennisarmbage), a questionnaire for patients with lateral epicondylalgia, in a Swedish population. BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2008; 9: 79 doi:10.1186/1471-2474-9-79
- 9 Blanchette MA, Normand MC. Cross-cultural adaptation of the Patient-Rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation to Canadian French. J Hand Ther 2010; 23: 290-299 doi:10.1016/j.jht.2010.01.003
- 10 Cacchio A, Necozione S, MacDermid JC. et al. Cross-cultural adaptation and measurement properties of the Italian version of the Patient-Rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation (PRTEE) questionnaire. Phys Ther 2012; 92: 1036-1045 doi:10.2522/ptj.20110398
- 11 van Ark M, Zwerver J, Diercks RL. et al. Cross-cultural adaptation and reliability and validity of the Dutch Patient-Rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation (PRTEE-D). BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2014; 15: 270 doi:10.1186/1471-2474-15-270
- 12 Stasinopoulos D, Papadopoulos C, Antoniadou M. et al. Greek adaptation and validation of the Patient-Rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation (PRTEE). J Hand Ther 2015; 28: 286-290 doi:10.1016/j.jht.2014.12.005
- 13 Kaux JF, Delvaux F, Schaus J. et al. Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the Patient-Rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation Questionnaire on lateral elbow tendinopathy for French-speaking patients. J Hand Ther 2016; 29: 496-504 doi:10.1016/j.jht.2016.06.007
- 14 Altan L, Ercan I, Konur S. Reliability and validity of Turkish version of the Patient Rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation. Rheumatol Int 2010; 30: 1049-1054 doi:10.1007/s00296-009-1101-6
- 15 Beaton DE, Bombardier C, Guillemin F. et al. Guidelines for the process of cross-cultural adaptation of self-report measures. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2000; 25: 3186-3191
- 16 Hudak PL, Amadio PC, Bombardier C. Development of an upper extremity outcome measure: the DASH (Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand) [corrected]. The Upper Extremity Collaborative Group (UECG). Am J Ind Med 1996; 29: 602-608
- 17 Beaton DE, Wright JG, Katz JN. et al. Development of the QuickDASH: comparison of three item-reduction approaches. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2005; 87: 1038-1046 doi:10.2106/JBJS.D.02060
- 18 Evans JP, Smith CD, Fine NF. et al. Clinical rating systems in elbow research – a systematic review exploring trends and distributions of use. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2018; 27: e98-e106 doi:10.1016/j.jse.2017.12.027
- 19 Evans JP, Porter I, Gangannagaripalli JB. et al. Assessing patient-centred outcomes in lateral elbow tendinopathy: a systematic review and standardised comparison of English language clinical rating systems. Sports Med Open 2019; 5: 10 doi:10.1186/s40798-019-0183-2
- 20 MacDermid JC, Silbernagel KG. Outcome evaluation in tendinopathy: foundations of assessment and a summary of selected measures. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2015; 45: 950-964 doi:10.2519/jospt.2015.6054
- 21 Newcomer KL, Martinez-Silvestrini JA, Schaefer MP. et al. Sensitivity of the Patient-rated Forearm Evaluation Questionnaire in lateral epicondylitis. J Hand Ther 2005; 18: 400-406 doi:10.1197/j.jht.2005.07.001
- 22 Morrey BF, Adams RA. Semiconstrained arthroplasty for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis of the elbow. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1992; 74: 479-490
- 23 de Vet HCW, Terwee CB, Mokkink LB. et al. Measurement in Medicine: A Practical Guide. Cambridge, United Kingdom: Cambridge University Press; 2011
- 24 Krogh TP, Fredberg U, Stengaard-Pedersen K. et al. Treatment of lateral epicondylitis with platelet-rich plasma, glucocorticoid, or saline: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Am J Sports Med 2013; 41: 625-635 doi:10.1177/0363546512472975
- 25 Yalvaç B, Mesci N, Geler Külcü D. et al. Comparison of ultrasound and extracorporeal shock wave therapy in lateral epicondylosis. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 2018; 52: 357-362 doi:10.1016/j.aott.2018.06.004
- 26 Clark T, McRae S, Leiter J. et al. Arthroscopic versus open lateral release for the treatment of lateral epicondylitis: a prospective randomized controlled trial. Arthroscopy 2018; 34: 3177-3184 doi:10.1016/j.arthro.2018.07.008