Medical Treatment of Pituitary Adenomas: A Celebration of Endocrinology (and Oncology)!
16 January 2020 (online)
Not many people today realize that pituitary tumors were among the first neoplasms to be treated medically in all of oncology: the observation that an ergot alkaloid (2-Br-ergocryptine, bromocriptine) may treat prolactin-producing tumors, first made in rodents, dates from the mid-1970’s . At the time, very few neoplasms could be treated medically; it was only a decade after the discovery of the first chemotherapy for any cancer: the use of methotrexate for choriocarcinoma .
There is therefore no better way to celebrate our anniversary than featuring in this issue a review by Maria Fleseriu and her colleagues on the medical treatment of pituitary adenomas . This extensive article covers all recent updates on the use of a variety of pharmacological approaches to the treatment of pituitary adenomas and/or their hormonal consequences from the use of dopaminergic agonists and somatostatin receptor ligands to steroidogenesis inhibitors and glucocorticoid receptor antagonists in Cushing syndrome due to corticotropin-producing adenomas.
What an amazing progress in the field! “Quam celerrime ad astra” (“speedily to the stars”) is what comes to mind when one talks about medical treatment of pituitary tumors: we are not far from the day that molecularly targeted therapies will be used for one of the most common neoplasms of endocrine oncology…
- 1 Spark RF, Dickstein G.. Bromocriptine and endocrine disorders. Ann Intern Med 1979; 90: 949-956
- 2 Hertz R, Ross GT, Lipsett MB.. Primary chemotherapy of nonmetastatic trophoblastic disease in women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1963; 86: 808-814
- 3 Gheorghiu ML, Negreanu F, Fleseriu M.. Updates in the medical treatment of pituitary adenomas. Horm Metab Res. 2020; 52: 8-24
- 4 Xekouki P, Brennand A, Whitelaw B. et al. The 3PAs: An update on the association of pheochromocytomas, paragangliomas, and pituitary tumors. Horm Metab Res 2019; 51: 419-436
- 5 Petersenn S.. Management of aggressive pituitary tumors – a 2019 update. Horm Metab Res 2019; 51: 755-764
- 6 Polidoro MA, Rotondi S, Morace R. et al. Expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha (PPARα) in non-somatotroph pituitary tumours and the effects of PPARα agonists on MMQ cells. Horm Metab Res 2018; 50: 640-647
- 7 Feng Y, Mao ZG, Wang X. et al. MicroRNAs and target genes in pituitary adenomas. Horm Metab Res 2018; 50: 179-192