Experimental 177Lu-PSMA-617 radioligand therapy in a patient with extended metastasized leiomyosarcoma
28 May 2019 (eFirst)
Systemic radionuclide therapy with 177Lu-PSMA-617 is a novel treatment option in patients with metastasized and castration-resistant prostate cancer . The molecular target of the 177Lu-PSMA-617 radioligand therapy is the prostate-specific membrane antigen (PSMA) highly expressed on prostate cancer cells. Beyond the enhanced accumulation of PSMA on prostate cancer cells, PSMA expression is also found on the molecular surface or in the tumor-associated neovasculature of various tumor tissues including sarcomas of the soft tissue . Thus, PSMA has theoretically been discussed as a possible future target for systemic radioligand therapy with 177Lu-PSMA-617 even in non-prostate malignancies .
Here we report on a female patient with extended metastasized leiomyosarcoma experimentally treated with one application of 177Lu-PSMA-617 radioligand therapy.
- 1 Backhaus P, Noto B, Avramovic N. et al. Targeting PSMA by radioligands in non-prostate disease-current status and future perspectives. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2018; 45: 860-877
- 2 Chang SS, Reuter VE, Heston WD. et al. Five different anti-prostate-specific membrane antigen (PSMA) antibodies confirm PSMA expression in tumor-associated neovasculature. Cancer Res 1999; 59: 3192-3198
- 3 Heitkötter B, Trautmann M, Grünewald I. et al. Expression of PSMA in tumor neovasculature of high grade sarcomas including synovial sarcoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, undifferentiated sarcoma and MPNST. Oncotarget 2017; 8: 4268-4276
- 4 Hofman MS, Violet J, Hicks RJ. et al. [177Lu]-PSMA-617 radionuclide treatment in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (LuPSMA trial):a single-centre, single-arm, phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol 2018; 19: 825-833
- 5 Zeng C, Ke ZF, Yang Z. et al. Prostate-specific membrane antigen: a new potential prognostic marker of osteosarcoma. Med Oncol 2012; 29: 2234-2239