Iodine Avid Papillary Thyroid Cancer Showing PSMA-Expression in 68Ga-PSMA Ligand PET/CT
15 February 2019 (online)
Prostate-specific membrane antigen (PSMA) is a type II transmembrane glycoprotein highly expressed by prostate cancer. Ga-68-labeled PSMA analogues have been recently used for PET/CT imaging. PSMA expression has been detected in neovasculature of various solid tumors including thyroid cancers. The enzymatic function of PSMA is currently not completely understood. However, high expression of PSMA in thyroid cancers is correlated with poor differentiation and has been shown in mainly anaplastic and follicular types , , . To date, only one case reported PSMA expression in a patient with radioiodine refractory papillary thyroid cancer . Here we report the first case of intensive PSMA expression in iodine-avid, newly diagnosed papillary thyroid cancer. This case simultaneously demonstrates an autonomous thyroid nodule with no PSMA expression.
- 1 Damle NA, Bal C, Singh TP. et al. Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma on 68 Ga-PSMA PET/CT: Opening new frontiers. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2018 DOI: doi: 10.1007/s00259–017–3904–0
- 2 Lütje S, Gomez B, Cohnen J. et al. Imaging of Prostate-Specific Membrane Antigen Expression in Metastatic Differentiated Thyroid Cancer Using 68Ga-HBED-CC-PSMA PET/CT. Clin Nucl Med 2017; 42 (01) 20-5 doi: 10.1097/RLU.0000000000001454
- 3 Moore M, Panjwani S, Mathew R. et al. Well-Differentiated Thyroid Cancer Neovasculature Expresses Prostate-Specific Membrane Antigen-a Possible Novel Therapeutic Target. Endocr Pathol 2017; 28 (04) 339-44 doi: 10.1007/s12022–017–9500–9
- 4 Reubi JC, Krenning E, Lamberts SW. et al. Somatostatin receptors in malignant tissues. In: The Journal of steroid biochemistry and molecular biology 1990; 37 (06) 1073-1077
- 5 Verburg FA, Krohn T, Heinzel A. et al. First evidence of PSMA expression in differentiated thyroid cancer using 68GaPSMA-HBED-CC PET/CT. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2015; 42 (10) 1622-1623 doi: 10.1007/s00259–015–3065-y