Utility of “liquid biopsy” using pancreatic juice for early detection of pancreatic cancer
submitted 26 April 2018
accepted after revision 03 July 2018
10 December 2018 (online)
Background Despite advances in the diagnosis of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDA), histological evaluation of small and poorly defined masses in the pancreas is uncomfortable and unsafe.
Methods We herein report a case of early stage PDA, in which multiple KRAS mutations were detected in the pancreatic juice preoperatively. A small hypoechoic area adjacent to the portal vein was detected through endoscopic ultrasound in the pancreatic body. KRAS mutations were evaluated using plasma, and the pancreatic juice by digital PCR.
Results Pancreatic duct biopsy and pancreatic juice cytology were performed with no evidence of malignancy; however, KRAS mutations, KRAS G12V and G12D, were detected in the pancreatic juice. Histological assessment of the resected specimen demonstrated a solid tumor with desmoplastic reaction accompanied by carcinoma in situ in the main pancreatic duct where KRAS G12V mutation was identified. More detailed analysis demonstrated KRAS G12D mutation in the cluster of low grade pancreatic intraepithelial neoplasia, implying that the lesion developed independently.
Conclusions Our study indicates the potential of “endoscopic liquid biopsy” to capture the driver gene for PDA diagnosis.
* These authors have contributed equally.
- 1 Patra KC, Bardeesy N, Mizukami Y. Diversity of precursor lesions for pancreatic cancer: the genetics and biology of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm. Clin Transl Gastroenterol 2017; 8: e86
- 2 Eloubeidi MA, Chen VK, Eltoum IA. et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy of patients with suspected pancreatic cancer: diagnostic accuracy and acute and 30-day complications. Am J Gastroenterol 2003; 98: 2663-2668
- 3 Katsinelos P, Lazaraki G, Chatzimavroudis G. et al. Risk factors for therapeutic ERCP-related complications: an analysis of 2,715 cases performed by a single endoscopist. Ann Gastroenterol 2014; 27: 65-72
- 4 Wan JCM, Massie C, Garcia-Corbacho J. et al. Liquid biopsies come of age: towards implementation of circulating tumour DNA. Nat Rev Cancer 2017; 17: 223-238
- 5 Takai E, Totoki Y, Nakamura H. et al. Clinical utility of circulating tumor DNA for molecular assessment in pancreatic cancer. Sci Rep 2015; 5: 18425
- 6 Izawa T, Obara T, Tanno S. et al. Clonality and field cancerization in intraductal papillary-mucinous tumors of the pancreas. Cancer 2001; 92: 1807-1817
- 7 Rhim AD, Thege FI, Santana SM. et al. Detection of circulating pancreas epithelial cells in patients with pancreatic cystic lesions. Gastroenterology 2014; 146: 647-651
- 8 Kanda M, Matthaei H, Wu J. et al. Presence of somatic mutations in most early-stage pancreatic intraepithelial neoplasia. Gastroenterology 2012; 142: 730-733 e739
- 9 Yachida S, Jones S, Bozic I. et al. Distant metastasis occurs late during the genetic evolution of pancreatic cancer. Nature 2010; 467: 1114-1117
- 10 Witkiewicz AK, McMillan EA, Balaji U. et al. Whole-exome sequencing of pancreatic cancer defines genetic diversity and therapeutic targets. Nat Commun 2015; 6: 6744
- 11 Hayashi H, Kohno T, Ueno H. et al. Utility of assessing the number of mutated KRAS, CDKN2A, TP53, and SMAD4 genes using a targeted deep sequencing assay as a prognostic biomarker for pancreatic cancer. Pancreas 2017; 46: 335-340
- 12 Katanuma A, Maguchi H, Hashigo S. et al. Tumor seeding after endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration of cancer in the body of the pancreas. Endoscopy 2012; 44 (Suppl. 02) E160-161
References (Supplementary methods)
- 1 Ono Y, Sugitani A, Karasaki H. et al. An improved digital polymerase chain reaction protocol to capture low-copy KRAS mutations in plasma cell-free DNA by resolving subsampling issues. Mol Oncol 2017; 11: 1448-1458
- 2 Imai K, Karasaki H, Ono Y. et al. Metachronous pancreatic cancer originating from disseminated founder pancreatic intraductal neoplasias (PanINs). J Pathol Clin Res 2015; 1: 76-82