Subscribe to RSS
MRI-Ultrasound Fusion Imaging for Diagnosis of Deep Infiltrating Endometriosis – A Critical Appraisal
received 22 November 2017
revised 13 April 2018
accepted 12 May 2018
24 September 2018 (online)
It was the aim of our study to evaluate this procedure using pelvic anatomical landmarks in order to assess the accuracy of fusion imaging and to critically evaluate the applicability in daily practice.
In a prospective, single center study, 10 patients with clinical signs of deep infiltrating endometriosis (DIE) were selected. We measured the distance between the landmark organ and the target shown by the software system (measurement 1). Measurement 2 depicts the distance between the landmark and the nearest calibration point. The calibration inaccuracy was measured as a third type of measurement (measurement 3).
Measurement 1: the average distance between the organ landmark to the target was 13.6 mm (range: 0–96 mm). Measurement 2: in 31 of the 40 attempts (77.5 %), we could measure the distance from the landmark organ to the nearest calibration point. The average distance was 34.4 mm (range: 0–69 mm).
Measurement 3: A perfect match was seen in 6 of 20 attempts (30.0 %). There was a deviation in 14 of the 20 attempts (70.0 %). The mean distance was 11.1 mm (range: 6–23 mm). Conclusion Although very promising, MRI-ultrasound fusion imaging (MUFI) currently cannot be readily implemented into daily practice as a routine evaluation of DIE.
- 1 Johnson NP, Hummelshoj L, Adamson GD, Keckstien J, Taylor HS, Abrao MS, Bush D, Kiesel L, Tamimi R, Scharpe-Timms KL, Rombauts L, Giudice LC. World endometriosis society consensus on the classification of endometriosis. Hum Reprod 2017; 2: 15-324
- 2 Chapron D, Fauconnier A, Vierira M, Barakat H, Dousset B, Pansini V, Vacher-Lavenu MC, Dubuisson JB. Anatomical distribution of deeply infiltrating endometriosis: surgical implications and proposition for a classification. Human Reprod 2003; 18: 157-161
- 3 Holland TK, Cutner A. Saridogan Mavrelos D, Pateman K, Jurkovic D. Ultrasound mapping of pelvic endometriosis: does the location and number of lesions affect the diagnostic accuracy? A multicentre diagnostic accuracy study. BMC Womens health 2013; 13: 43
- 4 Bazot M, Daraï E. Sonography and MR imaging for the assessment of deep pelvic endometriosis. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 2005; 12: 178-185
- 5 Hudelist G, English J, Thomas AE, Tinelli A, Singer CF, Keckstein J. Diagnostic accuracy of transvaginal ultrasound for non-invasive diagnosis of bowel endometriosis: systematic review and meta-analysis. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2011; 3: 257-263
- 6 Guerriero S, Ajossa S, Orozco R, Perniciano M, Jurado M, Melis GB, Alcazar JL. Accuracy of transvaginal ultrasound for diagnosis of deep endometriosis in the rectosigmoid: systematic review and meta-analysis. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2016; 47: 281-289
- 7 Guerriero S, Ajossa S, Gerada M, Virgilio B, Angioni S, Melis GB. Diagnostic value of transvaginal ‘tenderness-guided’ ultrasonography for the prediction of location of deep endometriosis. Human Reprod 2008; 23: 2452-2457
- 8 Hudelist G, Fritzer N, Staettner S, Tammaa A, Tinelli A, Sparic R, Keckstein J. Uterine sliding sign: a simple sonographic predictor for presence of deep infiltrating endometriosis of the rectum. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2013; 41: 692-695
- 9 Okaro E, Condous G, Khalid A, Timmerman D, Amye L, Huffel SV, Bourne T. The use of ultrasound-based ‘soft markers’ for the prediction of pelvic pathology in women with chronic pelvic pain – can we reduce the need for laparoscopy?. BJOG 2006; 113: 251-256
- 10 Reid S, Lu C, Casikar I, Reid G, Abbott J, Cario G, Chou D, Kowalski D, Cooper M, Condous G. Prediction of pouch of Douglas obliteration in women with suspected endometriosis using a new real-time dynamic transvaginal ultrasound technique: the sliding sign. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2013; 41: 685-691
- 11 Guerriero S, Condous G, van den Bosch T, Valentin L, Leione FP, Van Schoubroeck D, Exacoustos C, Installé AJ, Martins WP, Abraoi MS, Hudelist G, Bazot M, Alcazar JL, Conçalves MO, Pascual MA, Ajossa S, Savelli L, Dunham R, Reid S, Menakaya U, Bourne T, Ferrero S, Leon M, Bignardi T, Holland T, Jurkovic D, Benacerraf B, Osuga Y, Somigliana E, Timmerman D. Systematic approach to sonographic evaluation of the pelvis in women with suspected endometriosis, including terms, definitions and measurements: a consensus opinion from the International Deep Endometriosis Analysis (IDEA) group. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2016; 48: 318-332
- 12 Kaplan I, Oldenburg NE, Meskell P, Blake M, Church P, Holupka EJ. Real time MRI-ultrasound image guided stereotactic prostate biopsy. Magn Reson Imaging 2002; 3: 295-299
- 13 Sonn GA, Margolis DJ, Marks LS. Target detection: magnetic resonance imaging-ultrasound fusion-guided prostate biopsy. Urol Oncol 2014; 6: 903-911
- 14 Wu J, Ji A, Xie B, Wang X, Zhu Y, Wang J, Yu Y, Zheng X, Liu B, Xie L. Is magnetic resonance/ultrasound fusion prostate biopsy better than systematic prostate biopsy? An updated meta- and trial sequential analysis. Oncotarget 2015; 41: 43571-43580
- 15 Gayet M, van der Aa A, Beerlage HP, Schrier BPh, Mulders PFA, Wijkstra H. The value of magnetic resonance imaging and ultrasonography (MRI/US)-fusion biopsy platforms in prostate cancer detection: a systematic review. BJU Int 2015; 3: 392-400
- 16 Mendhiratta N, Rosenkrantz AB, Meng X, Wysock JS, Fenstermaker M, Huang R, Deng FM, Melamed J, Zhou M, Huang WC, Lepor H, Taneja SS. Magnetic resonance imaging-ultrasound fusion targeted prostate biopsy in a consecutive cohort of men with no previous biopsy: reduction of over detection through improved risk stratification. J Urol 2015; 6: 1601-1606
- 17 Millischer AE, Salomon LJ, Santulli P, Borghese B, Sousset B, Chapron C. Fusion imaging for evaluation of deep infiltrating endometriosis: feasibility and preliminary results. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2015; 46: 109-117
- 18 Park HJ, Lee MW, Lee MH, Hwang J, Kang TW, Lim S, Rhim H, Lim HK. Fusion imaging-guided percutaneous biopsy of focal hepatic lesions with poor conspicuity on conventional sonography. J ultrasound med 2013; 32: 1557-1563
- 19 Piessens S, Healey M, Maher P, Tsaltas J, Rombouts L. Can anyone screen for deep infiltrating endometriosis with transvaginal ultrasound?. Aust N Z Obstet Gynaecol 2014; 5: 462-468
- 20 Yavariabdi A, Bartoli A, Samir C, Artigues M, Canis M. Mapping and characterizing endometrial implants by registering 2D transvaginal ultrasound to 3D pelvic magnetic resonance images. Comput Med Imaging Graph 2015; 45: 11-12