Subscribe to RSS
Antegrade pancreatoscopy via EUS-guided pancreaticogastrostomy allows removal of obstructive pancreatic duct stones
submitted 08 March 2018
accepted after revision 11 April 2018
05 June 2018 (online)
Background and study aims Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) is an effective treatment for pancreaticolithiasis, including use of pancreatoscopy for intraductal electrohydraulic lithotripsy (IEHL). Pancreatoscopy is often limited by a small-caliber downstream pancreatic duct as well as an unstable pancreatoscope position within the pancreatic head. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided pancreaticogastrostomy (EUS-PG) has been developed as a method to relieve ductal obstruction when retrograde access fails. The current study describes pancreatoscopy via EUS-PG, a novel method for managing obstructing pancreaticolithiasis.
Patients and methods From September 2017 to January 2018, patients who underwent EUS-PG followed by antegrade pancreatoscopy via PG were identified. Endoscopy reports, medical charts and relevant laboratory data were reviewed and recorded.
Results Five patients underwent EUS-PG and antegrade pancreatoscopy via PG during the study period; clinical success rate was 100 %. There were no significant adverse events during the procedure or follow up period.
Conclusions Pancreatoscopy via PG for IEHL is safe and effective for treating obstructing pancreaticolithiasis in patients who have previously failed ERCP or in clinical scenarios were ERCP is not possible.
- 1 Clarke B, Slivka A, Tomizawa Y. et al. Endoscopic therapy is effective for patients with chronic pancreatitis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2012; 10: 795-802
- 2 Bekkali NL, Murray S, Johnson GJ. et al. Pancreatoscopy-directed electrohydraulic lithotripsy for pancreatic ductal stones in painful chronic pancreatitis using SpyGlass. Pancreas 2017; 46: 528-530
- 3 Beyna T, Neuhaus H, Gerges C. Endoscopic treatment of pancreatic duct stones under direct vision: revolution or resignation?. Systematic review. Dig Endosc 2018; 30: 29-37
- 4 Attwell AR, Brauer BC, Chen YK. et al. Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography with per oral pancreatoscopy for calcific chronic pancreatitis using endoscope and catheter-based pancreatoscopes: a 10-year single-center experience. Pancreas 2014; 43: 268-274
- 5 Itoi T, Sofuni A, Tsuchiya T. et al. Initial evaluation of a new plastic pancreatic duct stent for endoscopic ultrasonography-guided placement. Endoscopy 2015; 47: 462-465
- 6 Dhir V, Isayama H, Itoi T. et al. Endoscopic ultrasonography-guided biliary and pancreatic duct interventions. Dig Endosc 2017; 29: 472-485
- 7 Cotton PB, Eisen GM, Aabakken L. et al. A lexicon for endoscopic adverse events: report of an ASGE workshop. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 71: 446-454
- 8 François E, Kahaleh M, Giovannini M. et al. EUS-guided pancreaticogastrostomy. Gastrointest Endosc 2002; 56: 128-133
- 9 Ergun M, Aouattah T, Gillain C. et al. Endoscopic ultrasound-guided transluminal drainage of pancreatic duct obstruction: long-term outcome. Endoscopy 2011; 43: 518-525